Future of the dual threat QB at NU

I want a QB who can pass really well, ...and scrambling/running ability would be a bonus. Usually "dual threat" refers to a lousy passer. I'm also tired of getting good running quarterbacks and having them injured most of the season.....especially now that we're in the BIG that is full of 300 pound guys whose main talent is falling on people.

The myth that a dual threat QB can't be a good passer is just that a myth. There are dual threat QB's that are great passers and runners all over college football. Having a QB that is no threat to run severely hampers the effectiveness of the offense.

That's true, and there are also great dual threat QB's who get hit once while running and are out for the season....or like what we've had, hobbled for much of it. By dual threat they mean a QB who is part of the running game.

NU should be going after more dual-threat QB's. They make offenses much more dynamic and easier to attack the defense. Without a mobile QB, the defenses have a 1 person advtantage. I think Langsdorf and Riley are seeing how incorporating a dual-threat QB in this year's offense opens up so many areas of the offense. It makes running with the RB's easier and it opens up windows in the passing game. I am not a fan of QB's who can only attack a defense with the passing game. I applaud the coaches for the possible change in QB philosophy.

I'm all for a dual-threat, but the guy has got to be a QB first. He has to be able to operate a passing offense and complete throws to other playmakers. Then if he can run too it is a bonus, like you say: "a one-person advantage." But those guys are hard to recruit, because the good ones? Everybody wants them. We talk about "dual threat" QBs at NU, but what we've really had here are runners who could throw a little bit. I have been very frustrated prior to Riley/Langsdorf because we've been almost one-dimensional without an efficient passing offense. So I like that Langsdorf made this point as well.

Yes, everyone wants the best dual-threat QB's, but that doesn't mean NU shouldn't be trying to recruit and use them. When you have a QB that is no threat to run, it makes the offense so much harder to be effective. Yes, the QB needs to be an efficient passer, but it's easier to do that when he's also an effective runner.

I wonder if Riley at Oregon State didn't "settle" for regular QBs because the elite dual-threats were too hard to recruit and as a result, these coaches never had them to use. So maybe having Armstrong as well as Nebraska's better recruiting cachet has whet their appetite.

I think we should definitely try to get the elite dual-threats. But if my choice is a running QB who's a 50% passer or a 70% pro-style guy, I'll take the pro-style guy all day long. Unless the pipeline (and Osborne) returns we need a QB who can get the ball to the other playmakers- who are much more abundant to recruit.

• Fire 1

I will say having a duel threat guy is always a great thing if he is a solid passer. But I think people undervalue the pocket passers-by a bit. The offense can still be extremely effective with a guy who isn't a threat to run. You always want your quarterback to be mobile at least in the pocket of course.

There are so many ways to take defensive players out of plays in the run game. You can have a great ground game without a qb run game, especially with the threat of a potent pass game led by a quarterback who maybe can't run but has a great arm. With the guys we have at WR that could be a very tough match up for opposing defenses.

I will say having a duel threat guy is always a great thing if he is a solid passer. But I think people undervalue the pocket passers-by a bit. The offense can still be extremely effective with a guy who isn't a threat to run. You always want your quarterback to be mobile at least in the pocket of course.

There are so many ways to take defensive players out of plays in the run game. You can have a great ground game without a qb run game, especially with the threat of a potent pass game led by a quarterback who maybe can't run but has a great arm. With the guys we have at WR that could be a very tough match up for opposing defenses.

Yes....let them catch the ball and run.

The thought that a great passing QB (who isn't a runner) doesn't require great blocking O-linemen couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it makes the job harder for the O-lineman because there doesn't have to be a defender to stay on the QB. Yes, good/great passer can make the safeties stay honest and not come down in the box, but a good running QB can do the same. Nothing against the pure-pocket QB's, but the offense that utilize the QB run game are much more effective in college football.

POB, while a pro style guy, ran for almost 640 yards his last year in HS. Had 143 carries and averaged 4.5/carry and a 65% completion rate..... (not sure how many of those were scrambles vs designed runs)

Seems that he is capable of being "dual threat" in that he can do some designed runs. I'm not saying zone read and option, but could do draws, PA and still have some run/pass options....

Langs has evolved quite a bit IMO, from last year to this. I can't imagine that he and Riley after seeing the success first hand of a run threat QB would abandon that in the future. If we continue to have enough designed runs and/or the RPO game we should be able to continue to have this scheme evolve. I am intrigued at the thought of POB in the run game.....

The thought that a great passing QB (who isn't a runner) doesn't require great blocking O-linemen couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it makes the job harder for the O-lineman because there doesn't have to be a defender to stay on the QB. Yes, good/great passer can make the safeties stay honest and not come down in the box, but a good running QB can do the same. Nothing against the pure-pocket QB's, but the offense that utilize the QB run game are much more effective in college football.

where's the evidence? To say mobile quarterbacks make an offense much more effective is foolish in my opinion because with good coaches who play to the strength of their quarterback, the offense will be effective with whatever his skillset may be.
  • Fire 1

POB, while a pro style guy, ran for almost 640 yards his last year in HS. Had 143 carries and averaged 4.5/carry and a 65% completion rate..... (not sure how many of those were scrambles vs designed runs)

Seems that he is capable of being "dual threat" in that he can do some designed runs. I'm not saying zone read and option, but could do draws, PA and still have some run/pass options....

Langs has evolved quite a bit IMO, from last year to this. I can't imagine that he and Riley after seeing the success first hand of a run threat QB would abandon that in the future. If we continue to have enough designed runs and/or the RPO game we should be able to continue to have this scheme evolve. I am intrigued at the thought of POB in the run game.....

I am not sold on POB in the QB run game. He's a tall, lumbering runner who was able to gain yards in high school through "surprise" and because he's so much bigger than the defenders he was going against. He won't be a huge threat in the QB run game.
  • Fire 1

where's the evidence?
I'm on my phone so I can't provide a full breakdown, but doing a quick glance of the NCAA stat leaders, over half of the teams in the top 20 of total offense utilize a dual-threat QB.

I am not sold on POB in the QB run game. He's a tall, lumbering runner who was able to gain yards in high school through "surprise" and because he's so much bigger than the defenders he was going against. He won't be a huge threat in the QB run game.
I wouldn't call it surprise when he ran for 600+ yards his junior year as well. Also he's the same size as Dak Prescott.

where's the evidence?
I'm on my phone so I can't provide a full breakdown, but doing a quick glance of the NCAA stat leaders, over half of the teams in the top 20 of total offense utilize a dual-threat QB.
stats are hard with the phone. But I elaborated. Basically I think a quarterback with a fantastic arm but only enough mobility in the pocket is equally as valuable as a guy who can run pretty well but is very average in the throwing department if the offense around them is as talented as ours. We have great WRS. The more we can utilize them the better imo
  • Fire 1

I wouldn't call it surprise when he ran for 600+ yards his junior year as well. Also he's the same size as Dak Prescott.
Dak is 6'2" and 225 lbs in the NFL. That's a thick dude who was able to use power and quickness to be a good runner.

POB is 6'3" or 6'4" and 230 lbs as a freshman. To me that's a guy who is tall and lumbering, and who will probably put on more weight to get to 235-240. A guy at that size can be a run a few times a game, but not a guy who's going to break off long runs and scare a defense.

• Fire 1