BTN's Mid-Season Coach of the Year/This is how you pander to a fanbase

Congrats to Coach Riley. I don't mean to take anything away from the coaching job Riley and his staff have done this year. There are numerous clear signs of progress from year 1 to year 2, and their recruiting efforts are awesome. However, I watch this clip and think, this is BTN throwing out a meaningless recognition to try and sway Husker Nation that they are for Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Or if you take in consideration expectation, prior year performance, and what has actually transpired, Riley really had done the best job of any coach in the Big ten through the first half. Those things considered, which are the basic criteria for determining a good or bad coaching job, who has done better? I see it as legit.

• Fire 3

Husker fans need to grow thicker skin about the media.

No kidding. So, when the BTN doesn't give any credit to NU, the Husker fans hate the BTN and the national media. Then when the BTN gives credit to Coach Riley on a great start to the season, it's viewed as pandering to Husker fans.

Where is the Captain Piccard face palm pic?

• Fire 3

No kidding. So, when the BTN doesn't give any credit to NU, the Husker fans hate the BTN and the national media. Then when the BTN gives credit to Coach Riley on a great start to the season, it's viewed as pandering to Husker fans.

Sure, and Tom Dienhart did not just go on a Nebraska radio station and say the Huskers are the third best team in the West at this point in the season, behind Iowa and Wisconsin. Now, he says Riley has this team in line to win the Big Ten West.

Feel free to ignore the hypocrisy. I think I need a Piccard double face palm.

tumblr_lsi71dUMOA1r24lq9o1_400.gif

• Fire 1

Sure, and Tom Dienhart did not just go on a Nebraska radio station and say the Huskers are the third best team in the West right now behind Iowa and Wisconsin. Now, he says Riley has this team in line to win the Big Ten West.

There's a difference between saying "The Huskers are in line to win the Big Ten West" and "The Huskers will win the Big Ten West". Deinhart is giving credit to Riley for the work done so far this year, but it's only half way through the season. Deinhart obviously feels that NU still has work and improving to do in order to win the West.

Sure, and Tom Dienhart did not just go on a Nebraska radio station and say the Huskers are the third best team in the West right now behind Iowa and Wisconsin. Now, he says Riley has this team in line to win the Big Ten West.

There's a difference between saying "The Huskers are in line to win the Big Ten West" and "The Huskers will win the Big Ten West". Deinhart is giving credit to Riley for the work done so far this year, but it's only half way through the season. Deinhart obviously feels that NU still has work and improving to do in order to win the West.

I recognize your point because it emphasizes mine in that it highlights the notion that Dienhart is not sincere in his evaluation of how well this team is performing this year.

I recognize your point because it emphasizes mine in that it highlights the notion that Dienhart is not sincere in his evaluation of how well this team is performing this year.

Yes, the BTN does have a problem when they focus their football efforts on Ohio State and Michigan, but I just wish NU fans would stop being so sensitive over everything.

The guy is giving Coach Riley some props, yet that's not "good enough" for some fans.

Yes, the BTN does have a problem when they focus their football efforts on Ohio State and Michigan, but I just wish NU fans would stop being so sensitive over everything.

The guy is giving Coach Riley some props, yet that's not "good enough" for some fans.

If MR can get through the buzz saw that is coming with just one loss people will really start to take notice and think the Huskers are for real.

What I cannot remember is how the media felt about Iowa at this point...there are comparisons being made between last year's Iowa team and this year's Huskers team...