Favorite Husker Quarter

We have had some great 4th quarters this year. What is you all time favorite Husker quarter of football? My top three:

1. 1994 season 4th quarter domination of Miami in the Orange bowl. The Huskers didn't allow a single first down.
  2. 1995 season 2nd Quarter against Florida in the Fiesta bowl. The Huskers outscore the Gators 29-0.
  3. 1983 season 4th quarter against Miami. Down by 14, the Huskers come back, and refuse to back into a MNC with an extra point.
  • Fire 2

I always like to get creative with these things, cuz obviously there's the obvious that were already listed.

2008 Colorado 4th quarter. More specifically the final 2 minutes. Talk about a major shot in the arm. And regardless what has gone down the past couple years, I still point to this as a major shot in the arm.

the significance of that moment. Thinking your done. dangling. about to be 7-5 headed to a crappy bowl. not totally unexpected for Bo's first year. But to come out of it in squashing manner. Suh running over hawkins with all the fury and frustration takin out on that poor kid. It was so foretelling of the year to come.

• Fire 3

I always like to get creative with these things, cuz obviously there's the obvious that were already listed.

2008 Colorado 4th quarter. More specifically the final 2 minutes. Talk about a major shot in the arm. And regardless what has gone down the past couple years, I still point to this as a major shot in the arm.

the significance of that moment. Thinking your done. dangling. about to be 7-5 headed to a crappy bowl. not totally unexpected for Bo's first year. But to come out of it in squashing manner. Suh running over hawkins with all the fury and frustration takin out on that poor kid. It was so foretelling of the year to come.

To make 7-5 even worse, we had that game won until we ran the fake FG and colorado returned it for a TD. The redemption saved Bo a great deal of grief and second guessing.

• Fire 1

Cool topic. While the OP mentioned some amazing quarters in NU history, I will try to go with some different ones that I remember.

1991 vs. Oklahoma, 4th quarter - NU outscores OU 9-0 to win 19-14 and clinch NU's first Orange Bowl in a few years. It was a freezing cold game, played in rain & sleet. NU drove 80 yards in 10 plays, led by Calvin Jones, including a 4-yard gain on 4th & 1 from OU's 19 yard line (Osborne eschewed the FG attempt, due to field & weather conditions). Jones scored from 15 yards out the next play.

1992 vs. Colorado, 1st quarter - while NU only outscored CU 7-0 in this quarter, the Huskers clearly showed their dominance from the opening gun. Travis Hill intercepted Koy Detmer on the first play of the game, leading to a quick score. While NU scored more points in the 2nd and 4th quarters of this game, it was the early dominance that had Memorial Stadium all game long on Halloween night.

1997 vs. Tennessee, 3rd quarter - NU breaks open a 14-3 game at halftime by outscoring Tennessee 21-6 in the 3rd quarter. The blowout victory leads just enough voters in the Coaches Poll for NU to end up with the Coaches Poll National Championship, and the way cooler trophy (suck it Michigan)

2002 vs. Texas A&M, 4th quarter - it was the David Horne show in College Station, as NU comes back from a big defecit. NU outscores A&M 17-7 in the 4th quarter to win 38-31.

2009 vs. Oklahoma, 4th quarter - NU wins this game 10-3 over OU in Lincoln, and both teams were actually scoreless. But, being at this game, the 4th quarter was so memorable. By the 2nd half, the NU offense couldn't do anything, but the defense just kept on making the big plays to keep NU ahead. OU's drive summary in the 4th quarter ended like this: INT, turnover on down, INT, INT. All of those drives reached Nebraska territory, and the fans were willing the defense to keep making stops.

2012 vs. Michigan State, 4th quarter - the score was only 14-7 in this quarter in favor of NU, after MSU goes up 24-14 early in the 4th quarter. There was also a MSU INT TD return called back, which enabled NU to mount a comeback in the late stages of the game. Martinez's pass to Kyler Reed on 4th and 10 was the huge play that got NU into scoring position. A controversial pass interference on Kenny Bell sets NU up 1st and goal and Martinez hits Jamal Turner in the corner of the end zone for the winning TD.

2015 vs. Michigan State, 4th quarter - again NU makes just enough plays when I thought NU had lost the game numerous times in the game and 4th quarter. NU outscores MSU 19-7 in the quarter.

• Fire 3

As I was looking through Huskermax for the game recaps on the games I remember, there were just as many "WTF" quarters that happened against NU.

1984 Oklahoma beats NU 17-7 by outscoring NU 10-0 in the 4th quarter. NU was stopped inside the OU 10 twice in the 4th quarter.

1986 Oklahoma - OU outscores NU 13-0 in 4th quarter, coming back to win 20-17. OU scores on a TD pass from Holieway to Keith Jackson with 1:22 left in the game, and everyone thinks it's going to end in a tie. OU holds NU to 3 and out the ensuing drive. Holieway then hits Jackson on a 41-yard pass down the sideline with 9 seconds left to put OU in FG territory to win

1988 UCLA - Troy Aikman and the #5 Bruins jump out 28-0 lead in the 1st quarter and #2 NU never threatens in the game

1990 Colorado - Eric Bienemy 27 - NU 0 in the 4th quarter. NU loses 27-12 and CU ends up sharing the National Championship with Georgia Tech (who wallops NU in the Citrus Bowl that year)

1991 Washington (end of 3rd quarter and 4th quarter) - NU is up on UW by 21-6. Then the dam breaks as the Huskies score 4 TD's in the last 15:19 of the game

2000 Oklahoma 2nd quarter - #1 NU is up 14-0 on #3 OU in Norman after the 1st quarter. OU outscores the Huskers 24-0 to take over. The Husker offense couldn't do anything the last 3 quarters of the game.

2003 Missouri 4th quarter - Brad Smith and Mizzou runs wild on Bo Pelini's defense in the 4th quarter. Outscoring NU 27-0 to turn a 24-14 deficit into a 41-24 win for the Tigers.

• Fire 1

1995 National Championship Game - 2nd quarter.

Nebraska trailed after one quarter, 10-6. In what was supposed to be Tom's triumphant exclamation point season, the Huskers were getting outhustled in yet another January 1st bowl game. Sure, we had a title in our pocket from 1994, but the memory of seven straight bowl losses was still fresh in everyone's minds then.

Then the 2nd quarter happened, and Tom's legend was cemented forever. What was a four-point deficit turned into a rout. LP whirled through Gator defenders for a brilliant 42-yard TD. On the ensuing possession the defense went into Full Blackshirt Mode, nearly sacking Danny Awful in the end zone, then actually doing it on the next play for a Safety. Ahman Green capped off a short drive with a TD run, Kris Brown kicked a field goal on the following drive, and a few minutes later Michael Booker had a pick-six for another score. Brown added yet another FG to end the half and what had been a close game turned into a laugher.

The second half was just one big party.

Fun stat from that game: Florida ended the game with -28 yards rushing. Their leading rusher had six yards on six carries.

• Fire 2

If only we had an offense in 2009.........

• Fire 1

1995 National Championship Game - 2nd quarter.

Nebraska trailed after one quarter, 10-6. In what was supposed to be Tom's triumphant exclamation point season, the Huskers were getting outhustled in yet another January 1st bowl game. Sure, we had a title in our pocket from 1994, but the memory of seven straight bowl losses was still fresh in everyone's minds then.

Then the 2nd quarter happened, and Tom's legend was cemented forever. What was a four-point deficit turned into a rout. LP whirled through Gator defenders for a brilliant 42-yard TD. On the ensuing possession the defense went into Full Blackshirt Mode, nearly sacking Danny Awful in the end zone, then actually doing it on the next play for a Safety. Ahman Green capped off a short drive with a TD run, Kris Brown kicked a field goal on the following drive, and a few minutes later Michael Booker had a pick-six for another score. Brown added yet another FG to end the half and what had been a close game turned into a laugher.

The second half was just one big party.

Fun stat from that game: Florida ended the game with -28 yards rushing. Their leading rusher had six yards on six carries.

I remember almost no one wanted to give Nebraska a snowballs chance in hell of winning vs Florida, and then we roflstomped them into the turf. :)

I bet Danny Weurfel still has nightmares about that game and all the times he got drilled.

• Fire 1