Non-Call on Westerkamp

Mavric

Face guard is supposed to be automatic in CFB. That is a face guard and impeding progress towards the ball. Its the same call as if the DB slowed down in front of the receiver on a go route.

It was PI. They didn't call it. Oh well.

Face guarding hasn't been a rule for probably 15 years.

And yet it is called almost every time it happens.

No, it's not. Commentators still talk about it but that's not what gets called.

Ok. Now we know more than the people who get paid to know the rules, Mav. Come on man.

They don't get paid to know the rules. They get paid to talk about football.

All you need to look at is one Ed Cunningham to know that knowledge of the rules is not a requirement for being on TV/

Alright, I will give you Ed Cunningham. He is a dumbass.

My point is if it really isn't rule it sure seems to get called a lot. Also, you cannot impede progress toward a catchable pass, that is literally in the rulebook.

No, that's really not in the rule book either.

Sigh...

pass interference (PI) is a foul that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver, covering the receiver's face, or pulling on the receiver's hands or arms.

Maybe you should read the rule book instead of wikipedia.

Contact *CAN* be pass interference. Impeding an opponent *CAN* be pass interference. But it doesn't have to be.

I think there are two reason why it might not have been called.

First, "It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents." I think an argument can be made that Watt had his position and Westy ran into him.

Second, it looks like Westy slowed up before any contact was made. At that point, it might not have been a catchable ball anymore.

• Fire 1

Face guard is supposed to be automatic in CFB. That is a face guard and impeding progress towards the ball. Its the same call as if the DB slowed down in front of the receiver on a go route.

Ok. Now we know more than the people who get paid to know the rules, Mav. Come on man.

All you need to look at is one Ed Cunningham to know that knowledge of the rules is not a requirement for being on TV/

My point is if it really isn't rule it sure seems to get called a lot. Also, you cannot impede progress toward a catchable pass, that is literally in the rulebook.

Sigh...

pass interference (PI) is a foul that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver, covering the receiver's face, or pulling on the receiver's hands or arms.

Contact *CAN* be pass interference. Impeding an opponent *CAN* be pass interference. But it doesn't have to be.

So when you basically cutoff a receivers route to a catchable ball it is just a judgement call?
  • Fire 1

First, "It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents." I think an argument can be made that Watt had his position and Westy ran into him.

Second, it looks like Westy slowed up before any contact was made. At that point, it might not have been a catchable ball anymore.

watt didn't have position though he was moving in Westerkamp's direction and blocked his path to the football, because of Watt Westerkamp had no chance to make that catch

Sigh...

I went back and pasted the exact thing you have above....it is pretty obvious. I mean it even uses the word impede in the NCAA rule book. What the hell are you even arguing now?

All calls *CAN* be made. Holy sh#t, Mav. What are you doing here. It was PI, I don't get your crusade. It didn't lose the game for us, but it happened.

Sigh...

I went back and pasted the exact thing you have above....it is pretty obvious. I mean it even uses the word impede in the NCAA rule book. What the hell are you even arguing now?

All calls *CAN* be made. Holy sh#t, Mav. What are you doing here. It was PI, I don't get your crusade. It didn't lose the game for us, but it happened.

No you didn't. You said impeding progress "cannot" happen. It actually *can* happen. It depends on the circumstances.

Sigh...

No you didn't. You said impeding progress "cannot" happen. It actually *can* happen. It depends on the circumstances.

Holy hell, I'm obviously referencing this specific instance. I normally respect what you say, but tonight you are talking like somebody that doesn't understand football or the dynamics of a team game where injuries cause problems to game planning and execution.

And that's not normally your M.O.

I'm being totally legit here: I'm not sure the non-call was all that bad. I kind of thought that during the game but wanted to watch it a bit more.

I'd really like to see another angle on this. But it looks to me like Westy slows up and I'm not sure if Watt initiated any contact.

Honestly looks like a bit of.a flop by West to me. And I'm a huge Westy fan. But I just don't see much there.

https://twitter.com/bighoseph/status/792555571308138496

post-13780-0-25203500-1477799928_thumb.jpg

• Fire 1

Fair points. However, it looks like the kind of thing that could easily get flagged, and usually does. Have no idea what Westy was supposed to have done here. In plain language terms, it looks like he got interfered with trying to run his route to the ball.

If Watt had his position, why was he still running to it?

I'm also confused as to the interpretation you are making Mav. Did he make contact and impede the path to the ball? I don't understand how Westerkamp slowing down makes any difference.

I think there was contact but not as much as it looks like from that angle. There can be contact but whether it's a foul depends on a lot of things.

I think Westy slowed down before there was contact but a lot of people seem to think it was the contact that slowed him down. That makes a lot of difference in whether the contact prevented him from getting to the pass.

As I said, the rule states it's the offense's job to avoid the defense. And it Westy slowed down on his own, I'm not sure he was going to catch that pass even if there wasn't any contact.

If it would have been called, I don't think anyone would have argued against it. Maybe it was. But I definitely don't think it was as obvious as some like to think. Especially without seeing it from a different angle. We saw one angle that was nowhere near what any of the refs would have seen. It also happened to be the worst angle to tell how much contact there was an who initiated it.

If Watt had his position, why was he still running to it?

I don't know how position is defined in football. There are 107 instances of the word in the rule book and I don't feel like looking through all of them right now to find which one applies. In basketball, you don't have to be stationary to have "position." It more of a judgement as to who was at that spot first. Wherever you are at that moment is your "position", even if you're moving. I would guess football is something similar. Especially when both players are slowing down as they approach each other.