Non-Call on Westerkamp

Mavric

Here is the actual rule:

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8.
a. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team A and Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official (A.R. 7-3-8-II).
b. Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not offensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-IV, V, X, XV and XVI):
1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and maintains the contact for no more than three yards beyond the neutral zone. (A.R. 7-3-10-II)
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX).
3. When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [s33].
c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown (A. R. 7-3-8-VII, VIII, XI and XII). It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-III and 7-3-9-III):
1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX). FR-78 Rule 7 / Snapping and Passing the Ball
3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-III and X).
4. When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and contact by a Team B player occurs.

Link

Obvious Watt impeded Westercamp's path to a catchable ball

If he would have ran through him instead of slowing up he might have got it.

I really think that's a big part of it. If he runs into him at full speed, I have to think he gets the call. But for whatever reason he slowed up. Maybe he was going to try to go around him.

And if the ball would have hit Watt in the back or something like that I think he gets the call. But I think the combination of Westerkamp slowing up and the ball being out to side by a ways led them to keep the flag in their pocket.

Here is the actual rule:

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8.
a. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team A and Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official (A.R. 7-3-8-II).
b. Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not offensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-IV, V, X, XV and XVI):
1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and maintains the contact for no more than three yards beyond the neutral zone. (A.R. 7-3-10-II)
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX).
3. When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.
PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [s33].
c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown (A. R. 7-3-8-VII, VIII, XI and XII). It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-III and 7-3-9-III):
1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX). FR-78 Rule 7 / Snapping and Passing the Ball
3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-III and X).
4. When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and contact by a Team B player occurs.

Link

Obvious Watt impeded Westercamp's path to a catchable ball

Which isn't necessarily a foul.

That is the definition of pass interference. Unless incidental contact was made, which I think Watt prevented his path to making the catch and it should of been called.

I might have a Nebraska bias on the call but it should have been called. If its fourth down I could see a no call but he had no chance to make a play on the ball cause a defender was impeding his progress to make the catch.

That is the definition of pass interference. Unless incidental contact was made, which I think Watt prevented his path to making the catch and it should of been called.

I might have a Nebraska bias on the call but it should have been called. If its fourth down I could see a no call but he had no chance to make a play on the ball cause a defender was impeding his progress to make the catch.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1477799142759.jpg[=11164:FB_IMG_1477799142759.jpg]

Picture didn't show, try again lol.

Face guard is supposed to be automatic in CFB. That is a face guard and impeding progress towards the ball. Its the same call as if the DB slowed down in front of the receiver on a go route.

It was PI. They didn't call it. Oh well.

Face guarding hasn't been a rule for probably 15 years.
And yet it is called almost every time it happens.
No, it's not. Commentators still talk about it but that's not what gets called.
Ok. Now we know more than the people who get paid to know the rules, Mav. Come on man.
They don't get paid to know the rules. They get paid to talk about football.

All you need to look at is one Ed Cunningham to know that knowledge of the rules is not a requirement for being on TV/

Alright, I will give you Ed Cunningham. He is a dumbass.

My point is if it really isn't rule it sure seems to get called a lot. Also, you cannot impede progress toward a catchable pass, that is literally in the rulebook.

No, that's really not in the rule book either.

Sigh...

pass interference (PI) is a foul that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver, covering the receiver's face, or pulling on the receiver's hands or arms.

Boom. End of story. Missed call.

So that's why we lost. We got literally three f'd up spots...each gave us a first down, but I guess that's ok because they went our way. We lost because of the officials. Cheap, stupid commentary. We lost. We lost because we didn't score. the end.

Face guard is supposed to be automatic in CFB. That is a face guard and impeding progress towards the ball. Its the same call as if the DB slowed down in front of the receiver on a go route.

Ok. Now we know more than the people who get paid to know the rules, Mav. Come on man.

All you need to look at is one Ed Cunningham to know that knowledge of the rules is not a requirement for being on TV/

My point is if it really isn't rule it sure seems to get called a lot. Also, you cannot impede progress toward a catchable pass, that is literally in the rulebook.

Sigh...

pass interference (PI) is a foul that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver, covering the receiver's face, or pulling on the receiver's hands or arms.

So that's why we lost. We got literally three f'd up spots...each gave us a first down, but I guess that's ok because they went our way. We lost because of the officials. Cheap, stupid commentary. We lost. We lost because we didn't score. the end.
Can you point to me where I said that was the reason? Think you need to maybe go to bed and reevaluate some things before you post on a message board to take out your frustrations.

Sigh...

Hey!!! Stop licking that window!!!

It's literally the definition of a PI.

Here. Westy quit on the play. Complaining about the officials on one play is the epitome of bad sportsmanship in my book. thanks for playing. By the way, we lost.
You're right! I totally said we lost because of one call! Jesus dude. Pull your head out.

Sigh...

I did see a couple of questionable spots that went our way. But one of them they reviewed and confirmed the spot.

It's literally the definition of a PI.

Here. Westy quit on the play. Complaining about the officials on one play is the epitome of bad sportsmanship in my book. thanks for playing. By the way, we lost.
You're right! I totally said we lost because of one call! Jesus dude. Pull your head out.

I agree that it was PI, I also agree you never said that one play cost us the game, just adding my incentive to this debate.