Herbstreit shows Nebraska some love

And Oregon won a game! That basically makes that win a quality win again, right?

Wyoming is starting to look like a quality win also.

LOL.
Wyoming is a solid team ?

Yes. Yes they are. So is Northwestern, who scared the snot out of OSU @The Horseshoe yesterday. That is why I hate it when people say that our toughest game before Wiscy was Oregon, cuz it wasn't. They are missing 2, maybe 3 games.

Keep in mind that if NW beats Wiscy next week, which looks possible, last week's game doesn't really even matter unless we lose one of the games we shouldn't... Although after I typed this, I just realized something. Keep in mind that Wisconsin is not the only other team in the division. Northwestern, despite 2 conference losses, can sneak up on both of us if we end poorly.

• Fire 1

Never understood the hate for Herby. He's probably one of the better cfb analyst, and rarely has any bias. The dude just enjoys the game. He always compliments the Huskers when they deserve it.

Yeah I know he had his GOAT flip out, but that was so long ago...

and if we would have pulled out the win, he would have been gushing about Nebraska.

It's insane that the "Kirk Herbstreit doesn't like Nebraska" narrative still exists in so many people's heads and all stemming from the ESPN Classic special over a decade ago. Kirk has always been complimentary of our program when we deserved it, the same as any other school. The guy is good at his job, and good for college football. Didn't anyone see how he called Texas a 'cesspool' earlier in the year? He's getting more fired up and giving less f***s as he's getting older and it's actually awesome, because he seems to have a pretty good perspective. How can Nebraska fans not love this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d67t1itLUW0

• Fire 2

Actually kind of excited for it. After getting horrible crews who do nothing but criticize us the past few weeks, it'll be fun to listen to someone else. From what I have heard, Chris and Kirk have done a decent job of keeping BS out of their commentary.

Yeah, me too. Herbstreit will be a breath of fresh air after listening to the junior varsity announcers we've been stuck with most of the season.

Besides, if Herbie goes off script and goes into a Buckeye asshat mode, I'll just turn down the sound until they switch over to a Samantha Ponder sideline interview. Hubba hubba! :lol:

eba7eb51117af529def4a5b65b3c6a5e.jpg

Only time I have ever thought herby was deserved of hating Nebraska is when they did that tournament of the 32 greatest teams ever and he whined at the end when it was the 95 Nebraska team vs the 71 Nebraska team. Otherwise he shoots pretty straight for someone who isn't a die hard fan of Nebraska.

Herby had an argument for that. He said he was ok with the 95 team but he was upset with the 71 team getting as far as they did. If you walked up any one of the 04 USC, 01 Miami or 05 Texas against that 71 team. Those teams roll the 71 squad.

Only time I have ever thought herby was deserved of hating Nebraska is when they did that tournament of the 32 greatest teams ever and he whined at the end when it was the 95 Nebraska team vs the 71 Nebraska team. Otherwise he shoots pretty straight for someone who isn't a die hard fan of Nebraska.

Herby had an argument for that. He said he was ok with the 95 team but he was upset with the 71 team getting as far as they did. If you walked up any one of the 04 USC, 01 Miami or 05 Texas against that 71 team. Those teams roll the 71 squad.

Yes, but it's not realistic to compare teams across eras. The recent teams are going to be much bigger and faster than teams nearly 50 years ago.

What can be done is compare how dominant teams were in their era. 1971 Nebraska defeated #2 Oklahoma on the road in The Game of the Century, before dominating then #2 Alabama in the Orange Bowl by a score of 38-6. NU also beat Colorado 31-7 in conference play. Colorado's only 2 losses during that season were to NU and OU, and ended up ranked #3 after the bowls.

NU scored at least 30 points in every game of the '71 season, only allowed more than 10 points in 3 games, and won every game by at least 20 points (except for at Oklahoma). It was truly a dominant season. If you look at how dominant seasons in college football, the '71 NU team is right up there with the '95 NU team.

• Fire 1

Herbstreit was just flustered cuz lets be honest. That thing wasnt subjective at all. it was a fan vote. Nebraska fans are known for dominating fan votes. it's ok to have the debate of '04 USC and '01 Miami being in the same category. His frustration, while funny cuz of his whining behavior, isnt totally misplaced. We had our best ever in (1995), but yet the best Miami (01) and best USC (04)-who were legit teams that can be in the conversation for best ever were not.

• Fire 1

It was going on while Nebraska used Bots to do their voting, if I remember correctly. The numbers compared to every other state were way over board, meaning every person in Nebraska had to vote 10 times or so to get to those numbers. He knew the voting was rigged, it was not the dislike for the teams, but how the votes were done. I totally agree with him on it.

I would say the 70-71 teams were great teams, on par with 95. A lot of talent and some great games against a great conference at that time. We went 1,2,3 in 71 if I remember correctly, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and Kansas some where near 10th?

I have always felt he is the fairest one out there. He played the game, played for Ohio State, and does a fantastic job even when he is announcing Ohio State.

He is good people towards Nebrasaka. Tells it like it is, but I think he does that about every single team out there. He has a lot of power in college football, and it never appears to me that he tries to influence the mindset.

Every team thinks that he and ESPN hate them. It is just the way fans operate.

But what is far more important, is that he is talking positively about Nebraska, and I would say even more so now than when his friend was head coach.

I've never had a problem with Herbstreit. The dude that bothered me is Fowler. When the Huskers beat Tennessee for a share of the title in Tom's last season, he penned some blog entry railing about how it made him sick to his stomach. I want to say it was on ESPN's site, too - it wasn't some personal webspace of his. It's nothing I'm losing any sleep over, of course, but I hope the guy's in for some dry-heaves (?) in the near future.