Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed

Dailey had it pounded into his head by the new staff day after day for about 8 months that he absolutely should stop running like an NU QB and start "protecting himself" against hits.

Dailey displayed plenty of toughness previously.

Sometimes players just aren't good enough to be great, CM. It's not always on the coaching staff.

Like other QB phenoms who didn't work out and transferred to other schools, Joe Dailey did not blossom under his next coaching staff, and was playing wide receiver at North Carolina his senior year.

Do I think that Dailey was destined to be all american? No. But he was severely hindered by the coaching changes - and a lot goes into position changes after transfers.

Armstrong is different imo. I actually think he would have been, at worst, 2nd team all B10 if he hadn't had to deal with the switch. That guy has a ton of ability for a more suitable system.

I don't think Tommy Armstrong sets career records at any school other than the University of Nebraska.

And he's the same player after the switch as he was before the switch. That's just the book on Tommy Armstrong. And it's not necessarily a bad book -- he will be remembered for plenty of highlight moments and fearless leadership. But the decision making and mechanics would bite him in any system.

• Fire 1

^ it wasn't third down. It was fourth down, in the fourth quarter, with less than two minutes left in the game, losing to Southern Miss. That was my first Husker game - he just casually ran out of bounds to fail at trying to drive and take the lead.

man I always put that on Callahan. Might have even been the same game where Dailey took off running and scored and immediately got chewed out by Callahan

I was definitely anti-Bo when he was here and wanted him gone but I have to hand it to him. He did not leave the cupboard bare and he and his staff did recruit some pretty good football players after it was all said and done. His problem was development imo among other things and being able to 'put it all together'.

He was in over his head as a head coach here and it clearly, clearly showed but he and his staff did recruit better than the rankings might have reflected.

I know the 9 win 4 loss thing has been beaten to death but it became like watching scooby-doo you knew exactly how it was going to end you just didn't know how we'd get there. I remember right after the Iowa game like "damned if he didn't pull it out his @@@ again...."

Ha ha! The title of this thread is: "Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed." Don't we have any fondness? No fondness at all for any of them? Really? Okay, here's some.

Turner Gill. Could you ask for a better role model for young men to look up to? I mean, he was great at his job and got along well with everyoneplayers, other coaches, fans, everyone. Was there ever a controversy or scandal this guy was involved in? If so, it must have minor because I can't remember any. And it seems like he has surrounded himself with like minded staff members in his new gig at Liberty. If I had a high school aged son who was looking at small schools to play football for, I'd feel he was in good hands playing for Gill and his staff. :thumbs:

Not if you ask my wife, she hates Gill with a passion. She tried to get an autograph for her younger brother while she was at UNL and he totally went off on her. To this day I can't bring him up or have her see him on tv without hearing the story again and again...a commercial came on for Liberty last night and she commented on it, she doesn't know he coaches their so I didn't say anything......

Just an autograph? Why, that bum! :madash

:LOLtartar

fwiw even hearing her side of the story it hasn't changed my positive view of him.....just don't tell her I said that.....

I'd like to give credit where it's due to Pelini and I am in no way an apologist for his tenure in Lincoln. But he did recruit overall good student athletes and had the Huskers not had the highest Academic Progress Rate among the schools otherwise not eligible for bowls last season, we don't get the opportunity to upset UCLA. IMO, that game was a positive and a springboard to where we are at this season.

When I was able to attend coaches presentations during the Pelini tenure, academics weere always mentioned. I succinctly remember Carl Pelini talking about one of their coaching duties was to do 'classroom checks' to make sure the guys were in fact attending class. I have to admit I snickered thinking what Carl was really checking out.