Blowouts

Magnus

Totally agree. But don't you think where we are right now compared to last year and considering everything the program has been through including players recruited for different schemes is a huge step forward? I'm just wondering how much we should expect to improve. And I'm not trying to play devil's advocate I'm genuinely asking. From 5-7 and the horrific scene last year where nobody was on board until late, what's a good turnaround? I totally get 62-3 is not it. These guys are paid millions to figure this stuff out. But what is the threshold for us to mark this as a giant leap forward, even with an ugly blip? Cause I'm thinking 5-7 to 10-2 with a great bowl win or a conference championship appearance would be a MASSIVE stride and something to be super hyped about because we're getting closer. What do you think is that mark that says "okay, we're really working towards what we want to be?"

10-2 would be a terrific turnaround. If TA is out for any length of time I don't think that is going to happen. May not happen with him. We've looked vulnerable leading up to these two big games.

Tonight wasn't football. It was a disgrace.

Completely agree with both of you. I got the same feeling as a few years ago where we would go 10-4 but give up 63 to Ohio State, 70 to Wisconsin, and 45 to Georgia and it would feel like we were capable of barely gutting out wins against Iowa and Northwestern but get destroyed by the good teams. 59 points is abysmal and a joke and horrifying and makes us a laughing stock. But then again, I don't think it's indicative of our team. Just because Penn State beat OSU doesn't mean they're a better team. They're not, and they lose that game 8 out of 10 times. Northwestern played OSU close, but that doesn't mean they aren't miles behind OSU, which they are. That day, things happened that allowed a tight fought game. Nebraska isn't 59 points worse than OSU. At all. We probably don't win 8 out of 10 times, but I think everyone knows we are a much better team than what we showed tonight, it just spiraled out of control so fast it got absolutely horrifying.

I may just be a little more optimistic (and possibly in an ignorant fashion) but I think we're all essentially saying the same thing. But I think we're gonna all it together, win out, and Wisconsin is gonna drop a game when they slip up a bit too much, and we're gonna go to the conference championship and win a title and go to the Rose Bowl.

Relax. This game was an anomaly. No, we weren't ever going to win, but Tommy getting knocked out took all of the fight out of this team. Their teammate was knocked unconscious. No movement. No nothing. They were badly shaken. What transpired after that was not a surprise. These are kids, not cyborgs. Relax. It's just a football game. Be happy that Tommy appears to be okay.

• Fire 2

Relax. This game was an anomaly. No, we weren't ever going to win, but Tommy getting knocked out took all of the fight out of this team. Their teammate was knocked unconscious. No movement. No nothing. They were badly shaken. What transpired after that was not a surprise. These are kids, not cyborgs. Relax. It's just a football game. Be happy that Tommy appears to be okay.

Being thrilled that Tommy's ok, and being upset with what transpired, aren't mutually exclusive. We were getting clubbed before Tommy got hurt.

• Fire 2

Being thrilled that Tommy's ok, and being upset with what transpired, aren't mutually exclusive. We were getting clubbed before Tommy got hurt.

Agreed.

That opening drive set the tone for this game.

• Fire 1

Sort of but didn't NU drive right back down, eat up like 6 minutes and cut it to 7-3?

Sort of but didn't NU drive right back down, eat up like 6 minutes and cut it to 7-3?

Yes, but running 3 plays from 3 yard line and failing to get 6 pts. was pretty telling

Wisconsin and NW keeping it close against OSU has nothing to do with this game. OSU is wayyyyyyy more talented than those teams but they are tough squads and OSU is inexperienced so they really gonna have some struggles and take some bumps and bruises. What OSU has done the last 3 weeks was OSU under performing. They didn't under perform last night, we did and it made for a lopsided game. It happens sometimes but I don't think it should define our season unless we let the rest of the year get away from us

• Fire 1

Good God. I literally go to the damn school and nobody acts this erratic after a loss. We lost to a better team without our starting QB with walk-ons all over the field. This isn't 1995 anymore. Everybody plays on TV, everybody has strength coaches, everybody has facilities. Has the first half of this season not been the most fun in a long time? We got lit up by ohio state, who is in the national title hunt ever year and beat Alabama with a THIRD STRING QB two years ago. And we had a new coach last year with a new scheme in a completely foreign place with players recruited for a different purpose who goes 5-7 and then next year is 7-2 with a close loss at Wisconsin and a bad loss to OSU under the lights on their home field and people want him ostracized?

Why can't people just settle the hell down? If anybody watched that game and saw Tommy Armstrong not moving or speaking for a half hour and listened to Sam Ponder choke back tears on national TV, and then proceeded to criticize play calling five minutes later, you're a monster. It's a football game. We were a TOP TEN TEAM before tonight, and we still have a shot at conference championships and people literally cannot sleep because you think the coaching is that bad? We were unranked at the beginning of the year and took care of business and lost to two great teams.

I'd take Mike Riley over Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyer any day of the week. And if that meant I go 10-2 or 9-3 every year while they win national championships, so be it. I'm a student here, I love it here, I care more about UNL than anything else in my life. And I;m proud of these players that fight like hell and seem like stand up guys (everyone I've met, anyway) who are proud to wear the N.

Who play for a coach who knows what this is, a football game. Who guides his players through the death of a teammate and best friend. Who brings a sexual assault victim who HE PREVIOUSLY MISTREATED with regard to her case, admitted his wrongdoing, and tried to show his team the mistakes that were made to educate them. Who speaks in awe at press conferences over what he's experiencing for the first time at Nebraska with their incredible fans and who does whatever he can to honor their tradition. Who is looked up to by other coaches and who shows students like me how we should act.

If you want to go back to being 9-3 with a coach who mocks halftime reporters, berates refs, and dares his bosses to fire him, good for you. But Riley is a representative of kids like me who walk through campus proud to be here and who love Nebraska and embrace it, rather than donning some us vs. them mentality. A blowout at #6 Ohio State and too many missed tackles doesn't change that.

Uhhhhh, good post. I like it. I agree AND I like your perspective. But. HOW can you be a millennial (from later posts) ? HOW ? I have worked with millenial's... You, sir -or she-beast- are the weirdest talking millennial I've ever encountered. NO-WHERE in your post did you demand a higher wage than I, you didn't question ANYONE'S authority or experience (ORRRRRRR DID you...? Hmmmmmmm....) you didn't DEMAND a phone break each and every 15 minutes of the work day, you didn't expect me to buy you your first 3 cars, AND... possibly MOST telling, you did NOT speak of your RIGHTS at any point...? At any rate, as usual, I will take your post at face value and tell you that I appreciate your comments and your loyalty to the UNL. GO BIG RED!

Yes, but running 3 plays from 3 yard line and failing to get 6 pts. was pretty telling

I said this in another thread. Yes, we were getting beat pretty bad before Tommy went out, but it was manageable. We were moving the ball and had potential to score on the drive Tommy got hurt on. If he doesn't get hurt, we possibly make it a 14 point game and possibly change the momentum of the game. Instead, Tommy get's hurt, we turnover the ball on downs in their red-zone, and they march down and score more points.

Fyfe is a good quarterback, but it's been a while since he's had game experience.