How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

Contender or pretender? If we beat Iowa, does that put Riley on par or above Harbaugh?

After Saturday's result against Iowa's dumb, slow, offense, I think it's safe to say that Michigan all of a sudden hasn't actually accomplished anything yet.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, then it's a different story. And then they're headed to Indy.

So if we beat Iowa but don't go to Indy (which we won't), and Michigan wins a conference title, an Iowa win doesn't put Riley on Harbaugh's level of accomplishments to date.

Harbaugh is a rare coaching talent. He does better with the same talent as his predecessor and has engineered fast, dramatic turnarounds everywhere he goes. No harm acknowledging that. He was never coming to Nebraska, and no other candidate that year was a sure thing.

But the 49ers aren't the only organization Harbaugh rubbed wrong. He's an odd guy with a prickly personality. Because he's such a competitor, he will start competing with real and imaginary adversaries even within his own organization.

Still, Harbaugh is good for the game and good for the Big 10. He will recruit like crazy for Michigan and be hard to beat for as long as he's there.

After Saturday's result against Iowa's dumb, slow, offense, I think it's safe to say that Michigan all of a sudden hasn't actually accomplished anything yet.

Except beat #6 Wisconsin, #9 Penn State and #12 Colorado :lol:

But now he has to win a championship with his backup QB and that never happens....

Harbaugh has had a much better season than we/Riley have so far this season to date. So, that's my position there.

The question I was responding to I think was in reference to comparing Harbaugh and Riley. There's more football to be played still to make a determination on who accomplishes more this season, in my opinion.

Harbaugh has had a much better season than we/Riley have so far this season to date. So, that's my position there.

The question I was responding to I think was in reference to comparing Harbaugh and Riley. There's more football to be played still to make a determination on who accomplishes more this season, in my opinion.

Well that makes your post make way less sense.

Harbaugh has had a significantly better season than Riley this season so far.

In the context of the title of this thread being, "How is Michigan an instant contender after two seasons with a new coach?" I'd say that Harbaugh isn't "contending" for anything if he doesn't beat Ohio State and play for at least a conference title.

That was the point I was driving at. My first post might not have made the position clear.

Nebraska lost the best talent on its best unit when Valentine, Collins, McMullen and Williams left the program early, adding a psychological hit along with the needed senior leadership.

They didn't have a ton of talent/health/experience/depth on the offensive line to begin with.

Then just before the season started, the Position Coach for our best unit and the team's most valuable recruiter gets popped for a DUI.

And perhaps the most admired player on the team -- not to mention an all-American at his position -- dies tragically.

Nebraska is currently ranked in the Top 20, one of the best fourth quarter teams in the nation and one of the better in third down conversions, both of which typically give a nod to the coaching.

At least some modest props to Riley and staff are in order.

• Fire 1

I agree that Riley and his staff deserve recognition for winning 8 of 10 games to this point. It's never easy to go through a season and not lose a game you shouldn't.*Hopefully they will close out with wins in games 11 and 12.

*personally, I think wisky was a game we should have won, but I'll defer to the spread.

Yes, agreed. Our defense definitely did its job during regulation against Wisconsin, and our offense was pretty bad. Still, we were driving for the win in regulation and just really didn't give the effort required to close it out. Incredibly disappointing.

And a big reason that I'd say that so far this season, Harbaugh has done more than Riley.

Nebraska lost the best talent on its best unit when Valentine, Collins, McMullen and Williams left the program early, adding a psychological hit along with the needed senior leadership.

They didn't have a ton of talent/health/experience/depth on the offensive line to begin with.

Then just before the season started, the Position Coach for our best unit and the team's most valuable recruiter gets popped for a DUI.

And perhaps the most admired player on the team -- not to mention an all-American at his position -- dies tragically.

Nebraska is currently ranked in the Top 20, one of the best fourth quarter teams in the nation and one of the better in third down conversions, both of which typically give a nod to the coaching.

At least some modest props to Riley and staff are in order.

Good post Guy. Nice to be reminded of the positives.

How many P5 conference championships does Jim Harbaugh currently have?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Why ask such a needlessly restrictive answer to try and paint him in a not-as-successful light? He's an elite coach. Deal with it.

You seem to have a similar outlook to mine on our current coaches so I'm surprised at this response. Given the context I doubt this person is saying JH is a bad coach. But people are jumping the gun talking about how much more awesome he and Michigan are than Riley and Nebraska. Their past 2 seasons have been better than ours, but 2 seasons is not enough to go on and Michigan hasn't won a title yet.

If Michigan ends up at 12-2 after losing the conference championship and we end at 11-2, they can say they played in the conference championship game. All I feel about Nebraska's last 2 conf. championship games is disappointment that we lost. I don't see them as an extra accomplishment.

How many P5 conference championships does Jim Harbaugh currently have?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Why ask such a needlessly restrictive answer to try and paint him in a not-as-successful light? He's an elite coach. Deal with it.

You seem to have a similar outlook to mine on our current coaches so I'm surprised at this response. Given the context I doubt this person is saying JH is a bad coach. But people are jumping the gun talking about how much more awesome he and Michigan are than Riley and Nebraska. Their past 2 seasons have been better than ours, but 2 seasons is not enough to go on and Michigan hasn't won a title yet.

If Michigan ends up at 12-2 after losing the conference championship and we end at 11-2, they can say they played in the conference championship game. All I feel about Nebraska's last 2 conf. championship games is disappointment that we lost. I don't see them as an extra accomplishment.

I would say this is a huge "if"! I don't see Michigan in the conference championship. I see Ohio State laying the wood to them. Given the scenario that both Nebraska and Michigan end up as two loss teams to finish the season before the bowl games, I still say Riley has accomplished more when regarding what each inherited.

• Fire 1