We will never make it out of the woods until we stop gambling

Honest question - who could we have gotten. Say we have an AD who is ready to open up the checkbook as wide as can be - who was available that would have come?

You have to approach it from Eichorst's perspective -- the only streak for which he has direct responsibility is the sellout streak.

In that case, Mike Riley really was the best option for Eichorst.

Some fans felt alienated by Pelini, so Eichorst hired Mr. Nice Guy to soothe the egos of the "greatest fans in college football" and the local media.

100% agree. Riley wasn't hired to return NU to the promised land. No one hires a .500 career coach and thinks he is the guy with the skills to get us there. He was hired as the anti-Bo. The yin to his yang. Someone to change the public and national perception. Winning, well winning a lot, was and is a perc. I'm sure SE didn't hire him hoping or wanting him to lose. Hired knowing he would be good enough to probably get us to a bowl every year, soothe feelings and move on when his contract expired. Riley might be the guy. His staff might be good, but using the scientific "eye ball" test that is praised for its accuracy on this board, I'd say no to some of them....

Honest question - who could we have gotten. Say we have an AD who is ready to open up the checkbook as wide as can be - who was available that would have come?

You have to approach it from Eichorst's perspective -- the only streak for which he has direct responsibility is the sellout streak.

Some fans felt alienated by Pelini, so Eichorst hired Mr. Nice Guy to soothe the egos of the "greatest fans in college football" and the local media.

100% agree. Riley wasn't hired to return NU to the promised land. No one hires a .500 career coach and thinks he is the guy with the skills to get us there. He was hired as the anti-Bo. The yin to his yang. Someone to change the public and national perception. Winning, well winning a lot, was and is a perc. I'm sure SE didn't hire him hoping or wanting him to lose. Hired knowing he would be good enough to probably get us to a bowl every year, soothe feelings and move on when his contract expired. Riley might be the guy. His staff might be good, but using the scientific "eye ball" test that is praised for its accuracy on this board, I'd say no to some of them....

Time will tell if my gut feeling and I suppose a lot of people's gut feelings are proven right and Frost ends up here. I'm not saying he's the guy to take us back by any means, we honestly have no clue. But the reason folks didn't want him was because he was a coordinator with no head coaching experience like Bo was. So Scott goes to UCF and gets the experience, this job opens in a few years or whatever and he has his shot to coach at his college.

• Fire 1

Let me explain...

Right now our program is completely lost in a deep dark forest and has been for the lat 15 years.

For reasons that are absolutely mind-boggling and have spanned MULTIPLE athletic administrations, our solution to get out of this forest has been to basically "Experiment".

- In 2004, we gambled by hiring a known NFL commodity with no collegiate head coaching experience.

- In 2007, we gambled by hiring an up and coming Coordinator with no collegiate head coaching experience.

- In 2014, we gambled by hiring a college head coach with a collegiate career winning percentage of .563....that's right, .563. In essence, this individual won slightly more than half of all his games.

In each instance, the fan-base was sold narratives of varying "color". With this last hire being perhaps the most preposterous and grandiose of them all,,,that despite all evidence to the contrary, a coach with a very pedestrian pedigree was going to come to Lincoln and right the ship. Statistical evidence be damned! This individual will come here, get access to such amazing facilities and talent, that it will Trump everything else!

Until this program is ready to stop experimenting, get serious, open up the checkbook and let the college coaching community know that they are willing to pay whatever it takes (5 Million plus) to get an instant game-changing candidate as others have done, we will continue to aimlessly wander in the dark forest we currently find ourselves in.

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are not coming to Lincoln for any price. Michigan had to pay Harbaugh close to $10 million to go back to his alma mater. Outside of two or three coaches, there is no such thing as a coaching hire that is not a gamble. Coaches who can go anywhere and be successful are the exception, not the rule.

Folks on this very board said Peterson would never leave Boise....

If Houston doesn't go to the Big 12, I'd take a hard look at Herman. If Riley is let go or his contract is up. Guys like Saban and Meyer are mercenaries and ego driven. You don't think fir the right money Saban wouldn't jump at the chance to fo something no other coach save TO has done at NU, He could come in here, win, and be considered the greatest to ever coach.....

Like field of dreams.....if you pay, they will come......

No. Saban wasn't that great when he coached at MSU. I'm not sure he could do any better here, because he wouldn't have the same resources he has at Alabama.

This experiment came about because Riley was looking for a new gig. He was facing allegations/accusations of sexual misconduct. Oregon St was looking for him to leave as well. Yes, I truly believe that in the present state of the program coaches aren't jumping for this job. Urban and Harbaugh have complete control of recruiting in the Big 10 area, and most of the other hotbeds. This was a perfect storm for Eichorst. He had no options. Riley was it.

Scott Frost is the next head coach in waiting. He is the only one that has ties to the old program ways and TO. He could bring back some former coaches, players and others with strong ties.

The thing that most bothers me is that last night a QB who can't hit wide open receivers made our defense look stupid. A running back that weighs 212 pounds running over our linebackers. Wide Open receivers that had at least two steps on every defender. Yes, there was some heart, but heart and desire doesn't let running backs run over you.

Riley isn't the bad guy here. He was given a chance. He has done better this season, but the schedule was back logged once again. This is why Bo had a good record here. He has cupcakes for the first 7 games each and every season. We should be beating Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers each and every season. Oregon is obviously a fluke this season. Wyoming is a decent team, but not Big 10 caliber. Yes supporting the team is absolute. Supporting Riley is a key. He isn't any worse than BO. Wait for next season and better recruits. My issue is that anymore games like last night, and recruiting becomes a harder line. Finding 5 star talent after you get whooped is a challenge. The loss was expected. The 62 points allowed wasn't. The 3 scored wasn't. I expected to score 17- 21 points. Thought that the Buckeyes could put up 35 on the Big Red D. Tommy getting hurt didn't help, but we do have enough talent to do better. Running the ball more, options.........anything but heaving down field throws to covered receivers............

Coaching and players, playing was below average.

Time will tell if my gut feeling and I suppose a lot of people's gut feelings are proven right and Frost ends up here. I'm not saying he's the guy to take us back by any means, we honestly have no clue. But the reason folks didn't want him was because he was a coordinator with no head coaching experience like Bo was. So Scott goes to UCF and gets the experience, this job opens in a few years or whatever and he has his shot to coach at his college.

I get that a lot of fans pine for Scott Frost, but when has Frost ever shown any interest in coming back to Lincoln?

He was booed as a player, had some blame placed on him in the Lawrence Phillips/Kate McEwen incident -- not to mention NU wasn't even his first choice out of Wood River -- he transferred back when he couldn't beat out Steve Stenstrom at Stanford QB.

Does anyone honestly think Tom Osborne would advise Frost to take a HC job at Nebraska? I don't. He's seen what happened to Solich and Pelini.

If Frost is successful, he will have better coaching options with a less entitled demanding fan base.

Let me explain...

Right now our program is completely lost in a deep dark forest and has been for the lat 15 years.

For reasons that are absolutely mind-boggling and have spanned MULTIPLE athletic administrations, our solution to get out of this forest has been to basically "Experiment".

- In 2004, we gambled by hiring a known NFL commodity with no collegiate head coaching experience.

- In 2007, we gambled by hiring an up and coming Coordinator with no collegiate head coaching experience.

- In 2014, we gambled by hiring a college head coach with a collegiate career winning percentage of .563....that's right, .563. In essence, this individual won slightly more than half of all his games.

In each instance, the fan-base was sold narratives of varying "color". With this last hire being perhaps the most preposterous and grandiose of them all,,,that despite all evidence to the contrary, a coach with a very pedestrian pedigree was going to come to Lincoln and right the ship. Statistical evidence be damned! This individual will come here, get access to such amazing facilities and talent, that it will Trump everything else!

Until this program is ready to stop experimenting, get serious, open up the checkbook and let the college coaching community know that they are willing to pay whatever it takes (5 Million plus) to get an instant game-changing candidate as others have done, we will continue to aimlessly wander in the dark forest we currently find ourselves in.

here here!!!!! Oh and btw I don't think Scott will come here either.

This experiment came about because Riley was looking for a new gig. He was facing allegations/accusations of sexual misconduct. Oregon St was looking for him to leave as well. Yes, I truly believe that in the present state of the program coaches aren't jumping for this job. Urban and Harbaugh have complete control of recruiting in the Big 10 area, and most of the other hotbeds. This was a perfect storm for Eichorst. He had no options. Riley was it.

Scott Frost is the next head coach in waiting. He is the only one that has ties to the old program ways and TO. He could bring back some former coaches, players and others with strong ties.

The thing that most bothers me is that last night a QB who can't hit wide open receivers made our defense look stupid. A running back that weighs 212 pounds running over our linebackers. Wide Open receivers that had at least two steps on every defender. Yes, there was some heart, but heart and desire doesn't let running backs run over you.

Riley isn't the bad guy here. He was given a chance. He has done better this season, but the schedule was back logged once again. This is why Bo had a good record here. He has cupcakes for the first 7 games each and every season. We should be beating Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers each and every season. Oregon is obviously a fluke this season. Wyoming is a decent team, but not Big 10 caliber. Yes supporting the team is absolute. Supporting Riley is a key. He isn't any worse than BO. Wait for next season and better recruits. My issue is that anymore games like last night, and recruiting becomes a harder line. Finding 5 star talent after you get whooped is a challenge. The loss was expected. The 62 points allowed wasn't. The 3 scored wasn't. I expected to score 17- 21 points. Thought that the Buckeyes could put up 35 on the Big Red D. Tommy getting hurt didn't help, but we do have enough talent to do better. Running the ball more, options.........anything but heaving down field throws to covered receivers............

Coaching and players, playing was below average.

Are you referring to the Brenda Tracy incident? You do realize that happened in 1998 right? But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda. It's the cm husker way.

Let me explain...

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are not coming to Lincoln for any price. Michigan had to pay Harbaugh close to $10 million to go back to his alma mater. Outside of two or three coaches, there is no such thing as a coaching hire that is not a gamble. Coaches who can go anywhere and be successful are the exception, not the rule.

Folks on this very board said Peterson would never leave Boise....

If Houston doesn't go to the Big 12, I'd take a hard look at Herman. If Riley is let go or his contract is up. Guys like Saban and Meyer are mercenaries and ego driven. You don't think fir the right money Saban wouldn't jump at the chance to fo something no other coach save TO has done at NU, He could come in here, win, and be considered the greatest to ever coach.....

Like field of dreams.....if you pay, they will come......

Both of those guys (Peterson and Herman) are gambles. There's no way to know if Herman will be successful at the next level or not. And just as many people wouldn't be surprised if Peterson flamed out at Washington as had them undefeated this year. People also wanted Gary Patterson at TCU. And remember when the dude at Florida was the "hot" coach. How's that going? Also, what about Muschamp? He flamed out. There are "hot" coaches every year and which ones have really panned out into "can't miss" coaches? I'd say the last one was Meyer. Also, there's the matter of coaching/recruiting at another place is not the same as coaching/recruiting at Nebraska. Almost anybody is a gamble.

Guys like Saban and Meyer are proven and are so well known they would be the two guys who probably would not be gambles to bring here. But other schools will pay them the same money we would, no matter how much, and they would have a harder time recruiting here and have to deal with our fans and standards. Neither needs to come here to cement their legacies- both are already cemented.

I don't think Riley is the problem anyway. He needs time to solve some of these problems, such as the meltdown that occurred yesterday. If it happens once, it's a problem to be solved. If it happens every year in all the big games, as it did with Pelini, then we can assume he's no better a coach than Bozo was.

MR appears to be recruiting his tail off and an upgrade of talent would make them look so much smarter. We all want water from wine but its going to take several recruiting cycles to right this ship. The past regime left a lot to be desired in recruiting.

I tend to think that Alabama and Michigan will get NCAA penalties when its all said and done. Just like USC's rise to power with Reggie Bush, the truth will come out.