Vote on retaining the ban on death penalty (how are you voting)

Ban on death penalty  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How many republicans that think "taxation is theft" and believe tax is a four letter word realize it costs more to execute someone than to give them life in prison?

Money isn't necessarily the voting rationale behind the thoughts...

Agreed. The money is a side issue (and should be resolved if the death penalty comes back).

The death penalty doesn't have to be expensive, as Landlord said. It is because we're hesitant to just up & kill people, so we allow decades of appeals & expensive trials. So let's dispense with that & just give life in prison.

How many republicans that think "taxation is theft" and believe tax is a four letter word realize it costs more to execute someone than to give them life in prison?

Money isn't necessarily the voting rationale behind the thoughts...

For you, no. I respect your opinions because you are informed, even though we disagree. Like the other post, it wasn't aimed at you, just most people have that mentality.

However its sad how many people don't realize this point.

There was a brutal murder in north east Nebraska recently.the two fu#*$ that did it definitely deserve to die.I voted to bring the death penalty back just for these two.and the Jenkins bitch and the c**t that threw the kid in the elk horn river.excuse the language but life in prison is too good for any of these people.

• Fire 1

My information is from an articlea few years ago that I read, but if Nebraska is planning on lethal injection. Then I believe they can't even really get the drugs anymore. I thought Ricketts tried getting some from India at some time. I would imagine the FDA would step in if they tried to use it. Just some things for thought.

There was a brutal murder in north east Nebraska recently.the two fu#*$ that did it definitely deserve to die.I voted to bring the death penalty back just for these two.and the Jenkins bitch and the c**t that threw the kid in the elk horn river.excuse the language but life in prison is too good for any of these people.

Killing them won't bring any of those people back, and it won't stop any murders in the future.

I won't shed a tear if they die, but I take no satisfaction in seeing their lives get taken. I also feel that's a dangerous road to go down, vengeance-as-justice*. I'd want no part of that.

*Including what Count said. Life in prison may be more agonizing, but for me, that's no reason to prefer it as punishment.

Killing them won't bring any of those people back, and it won't stop any murders in the future.

I won't shed a tear if they die, but I take no satisfaction in seeing their lives get taken. I also feel that's a dangerous road to go down, vengeance-as-justice*. I'd want no part of that.

*Including what Count said. Life in prison may be more agonizing, but for me, that's no reason to prefer it as punishment.

I wrote a paper on this in college and my ending statement was from a father of one of the children who was killed in the Oklahoma City bombing my Timothy McVeigh.

Bud Welch's daughter, Julie, was killed in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995. Although his first reaction was to wish that those who committed this terrible crime be killed, he ultimately realized that such killing "is simply vengeance; and it was vengeance that killed Julie.... Vengeance is a strong and natural emotion. But it has no place in our justice system."

http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/student/c/about/arguments/argument2b.htm

• Fire 1

To me it comes down to the question of...what is the purpose of the question as to what to do with these people.

a) Deterrent? It has been proven the death penalty does not deter murderers from killing people.

b) Revenge? There is a reason why we don't have the families of victims decide the punishment. Revenge should not be the factor in deciding this. Believe me, there is a big part of me that believes a murderer should be put to death in the same process he/she killed their victims. If they murdered someone by chopping them up with a knife? Start with the little toe and start chopping. But, that makes me just as bad as that person. Revenge should not be the factor in deciding this.

c) Public safety? Locking these people up for life protects the public just as much as killing them. That is the right answer as to what to do. Lock them up and forget about them.

Another thing that bothers me about the death penalty is that in a weird sort of way, it raises these people up to some type of cult hero. That should not happen.