Trump's cabinet

I found this interesting.

Finally, Mr. Bannon identified why they could not compromise, according to someone with knowledge of the conversation. “Here’s the reason there’s no middle ground,” Mr. Bannon growled. “You’re a Democrat.”

As long as Bannon is involved, this administration has real issues.

• Fire 2

Solid right Republican is Bannon's idea of "middle ground", if not "totally caving", which is more the problem.

Here's an idea, America: maybe we don't elect guys who think guys like Bannon are "the best people". It's honestly not hard to tell stuff like this from a mile away.

Solid right Republican is Bannon's idea of "middle ground", if not "totally caving", which is more the problem.

Here's an idea, America: maybe we don't elect guys who think guys like Bannon are "the best people". It's honestly not hard to tell stuff like this from a mile away.

The issue is that Bannon was a package deal with Trump. One area in which I absolutely have to give deference to Trump is he's a great showman and salesman. As much as things like Trump University were horrible products that scammed people out of their hard earned money, he still was able to sell them that is was some amazing, life-changing step to success.

Trump knows how to market himself, as does Bannon to some degree. The accentuate the stuff that make people feel good - "Make America Great Again", being strong/tough as a world leader, snuffing out Islamist terrorists, eliminating waste and maximizing efficiency in the government, bringing jobs back... the list goes on. They do, for the most part, know how to minimize the crazy. And they're very good at deflecting when challenged to shift focus onto others' weaknesses.

I don't think people fully knew to what degree Bannon was insanely, dangerously hard-right before Trump was elected. Things like wanting a Holy War with Islam, war with China, drastically reducing all kinds of immigration (not just illegal)... etc. In addition to not wanting his kids to go to school with Jews, abusing his wife (seems to be a theme with this administration)...

People will continue to get conned by these hucksters unless those opposed to what they stand for can sufficiently unmask them.

How could people not have known? The guy owns Breitbart. He's chatting with Trump on the radio and Trump talks about how high-tech immigration is nice and Bannon pretty freakishly slams the overabundance of Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley and the corresponding threat of this bit of nonreality to "American" cultural identity. These things didn't happen after the election, and January 20th isn't the first time the guy opened his mouth.

If we can't know these things about guys like Bannon before effectively placing them in power, we are doomed to always have them. I don't know how much more blatant Bannon could possibly have been.

I think we all overestimated the average voter's ability to pay attention to the details and nuances of the people central to the election. They're more likely to pay casual attention, maybe watch the debates and catch the news every once in a while. If they have a favorite, they'll likely pay more attention to them. In that case, Trump/Bannon would have exposed them to a crapload of propaganda while simultaneously trashing other media outlets (who didn't offer them positive coverage).

I consider all of us hear to be very well-informed and plugged into what's going on, for the most part. But I still can't help but feel we didn't understand how little appetite many voters have for the nitty-gritty and the penchant they have for the sensational.

I think that's how a guy like Bannon flies under the radar. People just don't pay attention to his flaws, even though they are widely covered. They don't pay attention, or they don't believe them, or they just don't care.

Yeah, I get that. It's a dismal assessment :(

I don't see how Bannon flew under the radar though. It's one thing if it was some guy that needed unmasking. I mean, how could he have been more in the open than he already was? And the alt-right, for that matter? We all saw it and enough of us either shrugged or were okay with it. These guys didn't come out of nowhere.

Yeah, I get that. It's a dismal assessment :(

I don't see how Bannon flew under the radar though. It's one thing if it was some guy that needed unmasking. I mean, how could he have been more in the open than he already was? And the alt-right, for that matter? We all saw it and enough of us either shrugged or were okay with it. These guys didn't come out of nowhere.

Until Trump tapped Bannon to be a part of his campaign, I had no idea who he was.

I quickly found out who Bannon was, and (?interestingly ? ironically?) it was Trump's adoption of Steve Bannon and his neo-nazi ideologies when I withdrew my support for Trump.

Confession: Yes, I was actually (at one time) planning on voting for Trump (because I hate Hillary Clinton and think she's a treasonous crook).