Trump's America

zoogs

Powerful stuff. This is truly DJT's Katrina. He's failed spectacularly. His White House blew off this problem for DAYS because their leader was busy golfing & the people around him were too inept to realize this is a major disaster.

Now leadership is needed, and he's off golfing and rage tweeting from his lavish golf resort. What a detestable, gross human being. It will forever be a mark on our collective history that we were, however briefly, led by this man.

Sorry for the language:

• Plus1 2

I think there's a big difference between this and Katrina.

With Katrina I thought Bush was inept at making sure FEMA and the country and LA were prepared, although I didn't consider him close to being solely responsible. I also never thought it had anything to do with racism. The fact that the people most negatively affected were Black really brought inequality into people's faces - the people who couldn't afford to leave stayed behind, and most of them were Black. But it wasn't that they were purposely left behind because they were Black.

The recovery with Puerto Rico is not ineptitude in the same way. I think you have to try at something to be inept at it. Trump isn't trying because these people for the most part aren't White and they aren't his constituents. (He doesn't really even care about his White voters except that he needs their votes). He's a sick man. No one exists in his world except for him. He's a psychopath. But he especially doesn't give a s#!t about you if you're not White.

In the case of Puerto Rico, people are not getting proper aid because Trump is a racist.

I've a suspicion that lack of preparedness and tepidness of response ends up happening a lot more often when the communities at risk look like LA or Flint. There's a strong urge right now to wax nostalgic about W in comparison, but I think there are a few outlets and writers out there who are pushing back persuasively.

Sobering and related observation: in times of crisis folks will rally together to put together how much money is needed to avert continued tragedy. Someone will come up with the funds the buy out Ed Orgeron's contract if it comes to it.

• Plus1 1

3 reasons why he was not interested in helping

1.   they are mostly not white

2.  they can't vote

3.  i doubt he even knew they were american citizens

he had no reason to help them or try to garner any goodwill from helping them.  only the backlash has him moving now IMO.

1 hour ago, commando said:

3 reasons why he was not interested in helping

1.   they are mostly not white

2.  they can't vote

3.  i doubt he even knew they were american citizens

he had no reason to help them or try to garner any goodwill from helping them.  only the backlash has him moving now IMO.

I don't think Trump had even heard of Guam before 2016.