Repealing the ACA under Trump

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/04/trump-health-obamacare-welfare-medicaid-racism-republicans-democrats/

This is an interesting think-piece that comes from a perspective which is very critical of what my own has been.

If you look at Trumpcare and you find it to be just the most disgusting moral document youve ever seen which is what a lot of liberal pundits were saying, including Ezra Klein because you just think about how gut-wrenching it is that twenty-four million people get thrown off their insurance . . . well, then you should also look at the status quo and say Geez, under our own plan, we have twenty-eight million people who are not able to get insurance.

That should be just as gut-wrenching, but it seems to not be. For one reason or another, they seem to be more cavalier about the people their plan keeps uninsured.

It's striking a much harsher tone on the ACA, but this perspective is fair. I was one of those firmly in the "The ACA is in peril, we must protect it. You have to be crazy to be talking about replacing it in this climate." History may judge this perspective poorly.

It also raises good points about solidarity. In talking about education somewhat unrelatedly, it again goes my view which is exactly "this is an investment". On the other hand, I can't help but agree to its ultimate characterization of recently promoted social programs such as free college as "...just a quiet giveaway to middle-class people who feel like theyre entitled to such giveaways."

BRB, El Diaco, curious about your thoughts. I think articles like this are articulating criticisms I haven't really brooked in the recent past. But which I don't find unreasonable either.

• Fire 2

Interesting article zoogs. Lots of good points and discussion. Of particular note was how the liberal elite talks a good game on race and diversity but their own actions indicate otherwise and to make up for that they accuse the white trash rednecks of being racists. Generally it seemed to be a couple left leaners performing honest introspection of the left.

As far as education, I liked their ideas about providing alternate programs, not just aid for traditional college, but also trades and non-school inclined people in the 18 to 24 age bracket. I don't view college support as a middle class giveaway but that may because it hits close to home and my personal opinion is that the middle carries a disproportionate share of funding everything. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of the middle feeling entitled to it as much as it is, hey, at least here is one of the many things we're paying for that we can actually take advantage of.

• Fire 1

My quick take in education as a young person, don't give it away but please make it to where we don't have crippling debt once we are finished. Also, make trade schools kewl, an option kids think is a good move. Right now trades are almost looked down upon when they really shouldn't be, that is a good career path.

• Fire 2

Not sure how we got on the education topic here but another thing that isn't pushed nearly enough is community college as an alternative for basic university classes. I know people go to a university for the "experience" which you can't get at a community college but I'm not sure that experience is worth paying triple tuition. Especially if you're planning on leaving the state.

Since I started college later in life I didn't care at that point and I got 2 years worth of classes done for $230+/class instead of $650+/class.

There were some classes at Metro Community College that were actually more demanding than the UNL equivalent. I know this because a few times I decided to be lazy and take the online version from Metro after I was already attending UNL and I dropped a class once because it was too much work. The UNL version was basically "show up and get an A."

I took math classes at Metro and they prepared me just fine for the rest of my math/stats stuff. Going in, I assumed community college classes wouldn't be as good but they were very comparable. They had everything through differential equations.

Interesting article zoogs. Lots of good points and discussion. Of particular note was how the liberal elite talks a good game on race and diversity but their own actions indicate otherwise and to make up for that they accuse the white trash rednecks of being racists. Generally it seemed to be a couple left leaners performing honest introspection of the left.

Yeah, I agree with that. Honest introspection is really important. For me it was good to get a reminder of how much of an insurance gap there still was. Also, it was a lot more critical of the areas of the ACA I usually try to defend here. Basically, it argued that the only really good part of it was Medicare expansion. That might be fair. The rest of it is a band-aid.

Glad you enjoyed the read! :)

Yeah, I agree with that. Honest introspection is really important. For me it was good to get a reminder of how much of an insurance gap there still was. Also, it was a lot more critical of the areas of the ACA I usually try to defend here. Basically, it argued that the only really good part of it was Medicare expansion. That might be fair. The rest of it is a band-aid.Glad you enjoyed the read! :)

Yeah, I think that was about the only good part of the ACA. It did expand coverage to some others but, as we go along, I think we'll find many of those and others falling out of coverage. Need to fix the cost issues and/or make it single payer. My only hesitancy for single payer is what will happen to quality and availability of care. But if people can't afford current care, I guess it doesn't matter much (except to rich people) how good or available the care is.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I agree with that. Honest introspection is really important. For me it was good to get a reminder of how much of an insurance gap there still was. Also, it was a lot more critical of the areas of the ACA I usually try to defend here. Basically, it argued that the only really good part of it was Medicare expansion. That might be fair. The rest of it is a band-aid.Glad you enjoyed the read! :)

Yeah, I think that was about the only good part of the ACA. It did expand coverage to some others but, as we go along, I think we'll find many of those and others falling out of coverage. Need to fix the cost issues and/or make it single payer. My only hesitancy for single payer is what will happen to quality and availability of care. But if people can't afford current care, I guess it doesn't matter much (except to rich people) how good or available the care is.

The single payer nations seem to have good quality and availability. I can't find the article now, but about a year or so ago there was a report that the US has worse medical outcomes than most developed nations.
  • Fire 1