Repealing the ACA under Trump

I think he's an idiot. I really don't think he appreciates the scope of governing 300 million people.

You can't just throw some crap on a piece of paper and push it through the hoops in a week. That is a guaranted way to have failures. You need thoughtful analysis from both sides, and an explanation of what it is for the public and representatives. Then maybe you can push it through, or start stumping for the bill. Did they even try to talk to Dems?

A partisan approach completely on their own would have worked better pre-ACA. Now that it is in place, it is hard to formulate a better plan using Republican healthcare orthodoxy that DOESN"T involve tearing the ACA to shreds and screwing a lot of people that are protected now.

From what I've been reading, their new plan is to scrap repealing essential health benefits, while installing a waiver that would allow states to get rid of them on their own. They would also allow states to waive the community rating system in the ACA that prevent insurers from price-gouging sick folks. They would be shifted to state-funded high-risk pools, which would decrease the price of the normal pools. The problem is it would be throwing the sicker people to wolves, and insurance companies would have no incentive to not price them out of coverage.

So, basically, instead of repealing a bunch of things conservatives want gone outright, they're going with a half-measure to try to do it on a waiver system so legislators have the option to do so.

These people seem badly in search of legislation to support their rhetoric, and the whole time, we're drifting further and further from Trump's promise to cover "everyone at a much smaller price."

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/329783-obamacare-repeal-deal-hits-major-speed-bumps

The Republicans' latest idea is basically to automatically enroll people onto health insurance without their knowledge or consent, much like Medicaid, and provide them with a plan with a very high deductible. I've seen estimates of $3,000 to $7,500 in different places.

They'll technically be "covered," but their out-of-pocket expenses will still be ruinous to a poor person.

It's a strange gambit for a party that was so against the Obamacare mandate - at least until you realize there's not much else you can do to get enough people under the umbrella that the healthy are able to pay for the sick.

• Fire 1

Again, it's prudent to remember that the mandate is a very Republican idea, as it was included in their healthcare reform plan in the 1990s under Clinton and is a prominent part of Romneycare that works really well in Massachusetts. it's nothing short of unbelievable to watch the current crop pretend they hate an idea that would otherwise be their own...

Of course the sick irony of that auto enrollment or high risk pools effectively pricing millions out of having healthcare is that the current mantra is that "Just because people have insurance doesn't mean they can afford to use it."

I hope they don't get to pick and choose who gets helped under this new plan. Obviously people still need help because insurance is still expensive. But is it worth chucking the poor, sick or elderly under the bus?

The Republicans' latest idea is basically to automatically enroll people onto health insurance without their knowledge or consent, much like Medicaid, and provide them with a plan with a very high deductible. I've seen estimates of $3,000 to $7,500 in different places.

They'll technically be "covered," but their out-of-pocket expenses will still be ruinous to a poor person.

It's a strange gambit for a party that was so against the Obamacare mandate - at least until you realize there's not much else you can do to get enough people under the umbrella that the healthy are able to pay for the sick.

That was my thoughts in post #631.

Their plan is to enroll everyone in high deductible plans. This would cover catastrophic illnesses but everything else would be on the patient's dime. They would then make the subsidy match the cost of the premium.

So, let's say the deductible is $5,000. And....if the premium is $400 per month (total guess). That means the subsidy needs to be $4,800.

So....why not just enroll those people into a single payer plan, take the insurance company out of it. Spend that $4,800 on what would typically be the deductible.

• Fire 2

That was my thoughts in post #631.

Their plan is to enroll everyone in high deductible plans. This would cover catastrophic illnesses but everything else would be on the patient's dime. They would then make the subsidy match the cost of the premium.

So, let's say the deductible is $5,000. And....if the premium is $400 per month (total guess). That means the subsidy needs to be $4,800.

So....why not just enroll those people into a single payer plan, take the insurance company out of it. Spend that $4,800 on what would typically be the deductible.

Wouldn't the insurance companies still pay for expenses after the $5000 deductible? If we took out the insurance companies, the government would have to pay for catastrophic care which would be much more than $4800. Am I thinking about that right?

I just don't wanna keep paying $710 a month for healthcare...

Curious, is that just for your coverage or does it include a spouse and/or how many children?

Mine currently runs about $1580/mo. for me, my wife and 2 kids. Deductible is about $5500 per person or $11,000 for the fam.

Last year my premium was about the same but it was much better coverage. The deductible was only $1500/$3000, lower copays, better coinsurance, etc. I decided to go with a higher deductible and worse coverage because the premium on my old plan was increasing to about $1850/mo. And I anticipated hitting my max out of pocket again this year and the lower level plan would've saved me about $3000 (care and premiums) when it was all said and done. But now it looks like I won't be maxing it out this year (not having the surgery I thought I would :) ) so I'm not sure if I picked the right plan or not. I'm basically paying for everything that happens right now but I'm also saving about $300/mo. so.... I guess if my expenses stay under $3600 I'll be ahead and if they're between $3600 and $11,000 I'll lose. Well, I'll lose no matter what cuz just the premiums will be $19,000.

Is that through the ACA exchange, employer, or other, El Diaco?

It's ACA- Colorado Health Exchange.

Kaiser Permanante Plan. The KP premiums and plans are much better than the other options in the CO market. Similar Anthem BCBS plans run at least $500 more per month in the exchange. The plan I was on last year was rated as a gold plan and this one is silver. The bronze plans are really sh#t.

I just don't wanna keep paying $710 a month for healthcare...

Curious, is that just for your coverage or does it include a spouse and/or how many children?

Mine currently runs about $1580/mo. for me, my wife and 2 kids. Deductible is about $5500 per person or $11,000 for the fam.

Last year my premium was about the same but it was much better coverage. The deductible was only $1500/$3000, lower copays, better coinsurance, etc. I decided to go with a higher deductible and worse coverage because the premium on my old plan was increasing to about $1850/mo. And I anticipated hitting my max out of pocket again this year and the lower level plan would've saved me about $3000 (care and premiums) when it was all said and done. But now it looks like I won't be maxing it out this year (not having the surgery I thought I would :) ) so I'm not sure if I picked the right plan or not. I'm basically paying for everything that happens right now but I'm also saving about $300/mo. so.... I guess if my expenses stay under $3600 I'll be ahead and if they're between $3600 and $11,000 I'll lose. Well, I'll lose no matter what cuz just the premiums will be $19,000.

My wife, myself and our little guy. I think our dedictible is really bad, don't remember what it is I just remember it is worse than last year.