Repealing the ACA under Trump

Trump doesn't have to understand healthcare. Just like he doesn't have to understand anything else. He is going to rely on the House or the Senate to draft a bill and he will sign it no matter what.

This is clearly the trade off for Republicans accepting his erratic behavior.

That's exactly what he is doing....problem is, there isn't any top leadership pushing the legislation in a certain direction with a coherent idea in mind.

This morning CNN played a clip from the campaign trail where he was ranting on and on about how he could fix healthcare BY HIMSELF because nobody knows the system better than him.

What a load of BS.

I actually think there's a somewhat coherent and honest vision from some corners of the GOP camp. It's just too ugly to be tolerated.

If they manage to do a better job at selling it, I have little doubt that more Republicans, given the right political cover, will enthusiastically sign up for it.

But demolishing "healthcare is a human right" might be something that turns out totally impossible politically. One might hope.

• Fire 1

I actually think there's a somewhat coherent and honest vision from some corners of the GOP camp. It's just too ugly to be tolerated.

If they manage to do a better job at selling it, I have little doubt that more Republicans, given the right political cover, will enthusiastically sign up for it.

But demolishing "healthcare is a human right" might be something that turns out totally impossible politically. One might hope.

But again, they ride their vision of healthcare all the way up until it slams into the brick wall of reality.

Republicans, with very few exceptions, don't believe the government should have a role in healthcare.

But they're not willing to say that aloud, because it is wildly unpopular.

Until they are, they're going to have to lie their a##es off or their vision for healthcare will never get off the ground.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/19/15997776/trump-health-care-complicated-deal

For better and for worse, policy leadership in the modern era tends to come from the White House. Take the Affordable Care Act. (...)

The apex of this was the Blair House summit ... to debate the legislation on live television for hours. Obama was trying to prove to congressional Democrats that they could win the argument on health care, that he could win the argument on health care, and that they should trust him and pass the bill.

Obama’s performance was effective because it was, to Democrats, persuasive. Obama knew the details of the legislation, he knew the issue...

What happened publicly at the Blair House happened privately every day.

Policy leadership and what it looks like.

Elect competent, smart, policy literate administrations. When whether or not we do this is no longer the fundamental question, then we can talk about raising the bar.

I'm all for that second thing. We can't go backwards, but people could kick the bums out of Washington.

When is the last time this country has taken an enourmous step back after taking taking a small one forward? Has something like this ever happened in the US before? Prohibition maybe?

I'm all for that second thing. We can't go backwards, but people could kick the bums out of Washington.

When is the last time this country has taken an enourmous step back after taking taking a small one forward? Has something like this ever happened in the US before? Prohibition maybe?

Maybe separate but equal

• Fire 2

Maybe separate but equal

again separate but equal shows the power of words. This nation was torn asunder by the Civil War and then lived for decades basically another century under the pretense that 'separate but equal' was an American value. It wasn't but the political leaders of the era made it stick in the American psych and culture for a long time. He who controls the language controls the argument and we have to be aware of the same today. Trump is doing so by calling all negative media reports as Fake News. Before long that gets into the American psych and we believe it is true. Too much of the nation already believes it is true. And we have shills like Hannity reinforcing it on TV and radio. I can't believe I use to listen to him...

I once had some friends I went to college with at MOO U (SDSU - S.Dak State) who got involved in a cult like group in S.Falls. The group originally listened to many good Bible teachers. Then one by one they dropped all of the teachers but one. This one guy was on the fringe. The group in SF eventually packed up and moved to Florida and became a part of the cult's encampment. That is what happens when we hitch our butt to one person without question. Sell your soul, you lose your soul. To many on the R side are doing so.

• Fire 1

So.....let's say the are successful at completely repealing the ACA.

That would mean the website the government spent millions of dollars setting up and maintaining...goes away. What a total waste and that is actually a great part of the ACA and can be modified and added to for whatever idiotic program they come up with next.

These people are just brilliant.

Turns out any form of repeal, whether it's Repeal & Replace or Repeal Then Replace is a bad idea.

"Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated."

- Donald Trump

17 million uninsured by 2018

27 million uninsured by 2020

32 million uninsured by 2026

Premiums increase by 25% in 2018

Premiums increase by 50% in 2020

Premiums increase by 100% in 2026

(Nongroup market)

Half of US population live in areas with no insurer by 2020

3/4 of US population live in areas with no insurer by 2026

(Since there is no mandate and premiums would increase)

Thanks for fighting for us, GOP. Great plan, Sasse.

• Fire 1