Repealing the ACA under Trump

From my original post that started this thread just after the election, these are the points Steve Forbes were expecting to see in the health care bill.

My take on what the Repubs have done is to not make health care any more efficient or any more affordable or any more accessible. While we may

not agree with all of Forbes 7 points below, some are worth considering but I don't see the repubs following any of the recommendations.

Quoted in part:

Forbes provides seven recommendations on what to do next:

1. Nationwide shopping for health insurance. “Let scores of companies compete for your business instead of the handful you now have.”
  2. Transparency for prices. “Require hospitals and clinics to post their prices for all treatments, medications and services.”
  3. Transparency of performance. “Require hospitals to post monthly statements on how many patients died from infections contracted after they were admitted.”
  4. Medicare transparency. More information about payments to help root out fraud and abuse.
  5. Equalized tax treatment. If businesses and the self-employed can deduct their premiums, why can’t individuals buying insurance on their own?
  6. Freedom of choice. “Let people choose their own policies, not be required to accept what bureaucrats think they should have.”
  7. No more threatening mandates. “Forcing employers and individuals to purchase insurance is un-American and unconstitutional.” (Chief Justice John Roberts was criticized for ruling the penalty for not buying insurance was a tax whose payment could be shared, effectively giving renewed life to Obamacare.)

im.gif?data=YWViNzRlMTZiNmUxOTFlMmM3MDZhvi.gif?data=YWViNzRlMTZiNmUxOTFlMmM3MDZh

In addition, Republicans will have to figure out a way to fund care for “genuinely uninsurable individuals,” he says.

“Otherwise, we’ll continue to be stuck with the take-all-comers mandate for insurers that has led to an enormous gaming of the system: Don’t buy coverage until you’re sick,” he says

Please let the myth of the 'Good Republican' die.

There are 52 of them in the Senate. They were always going to get around to this one way or another. If various iterations didn't cut certain of them the right way, these people still at their core, fundamentally want this. It's who they are.

• Fire 2

I swing between being really proud of Murkowski & Collins for repeatedly being brave enough to do what is right for their people and being absolutely dispondent about the rest of them who are so frickin' cowardly and motivated by money and fear of that d-bag up top.

• Fire 1

TG....

Equalized tax treatment would be interesting.

Going through the insurance marketplace on line, my individual insurance premiums would be about $30,000 per year. That would be a hell of a deduction that would save me about $6000-$8000 in taxes (swag guess).

That would mean my insurance really is costing me $24,000 per year.....which is still way too much.

TG....

Equalized tax treatment would be interesting.

Going through the insurance marketplace on line, my individual insurance premiums would be about $30,000 per year. That would be a hell of a deduction that would save me about $6000-$8000 in taxes (swag guess).

That would mean my insurance really is costing me $24,000 per year.....which is still way too much.

I didn't even realize we didn't already have equalized tax treatment. It's ridiculous that we don't.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/890033094782312448

https://www.vox.com/2017/7/25/16030616/mccain-senate-health-care-bill

I had to do a quick search just to clarify that what it sounded like happened actually happened.

McCain's either extremely disingenuous -- to the point of being an unabashed, flat-out liar -- or extremely confused.

His justification is that he voted to get it into debate ... not yes on the bill. Which logistically is true, but he is skimming over the fact that he is giving McConnel a very good chance to ram it thru. Esp considering (harsh to say this) he may not be present for the debates or vote.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/890033094782312448

https://www.vox.com/2017/7/25/16030616/mccain-senate-health-care-bill

I had to do a quick search just to clarify that what it sounded like happened actually happened.

McCain's either extremely disingenuous -- to the point of being an unabashed, flat-out liar -- or extremely confused.

His justification is that he voted to get it into debate ... not yes on the bill. Which logistically is true, but he is skimming over the fact that he is giving McConnel a very good chance to ram it thru. Esp considering (harsh to say this) he may not be present for the debates or vote.

He voted yes to debate. But "the rub" is that he also voted yes on the Better Care Reconciliation Act which failed as expected.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/us/politics/senate-votes-repeal-obamacare.html

edit: I read your post too fast. I was assuming you were talking about the vote to proceed yesterday afternoon, and not about the vote last night. I should have known better :)

I just received this eml from Senator Langsford from Okla. His form letter explanation on where we are at :

Affordable Care Act and Healthcare Facts:

• Healthcare insurance premiums have increased 76 percent on average for Oklahoma residents on the Obamacare federal exchange. Oklahoma is one of five states to only have only one insurer on the exchange Blue Cross Blue Shieldin 2017, joining South Carolina, Alaska, Alabama and Wyoming.
  • Since 2013, health insurance premiums have risen 105 percent, from an average of $2,784 in 2013 to $5,712 in 2017 on the federal exchange (an increase of $2,928), according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Oklahoma, the situation is much worse, with premiums skyrocketing by 201 percent$4,968 higher since 2013.
  • At least 44 counties across America are projected to have no exchange insurer in 2018. That number will likely climb higher in 2019, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
  • Most Americans receive their healthcare insurance through their employer. Although a much smaller percentage of Americans receive insurance through Obamacare exchanges, the law created regulations and taxes that impacted most employer-based insurance plans. CLICK HERE for a summary of where most Americans get their healthcare insurance.
  • The Affordable Care Act individual mandate was designed to force healthy people to buy insurance coverage, however, it has not accomplished that goal. Many healthy people have decided they would rather pay the IRS penalty than buy Obamacare coverage. According to the IRS, for 2015, 6.5 million people paid the individual mandate penalty and another 12.7 million claimed one of the various exemptions from paying the penalty. In fact, 95,910 families paid $20.9 million in Obamacare penalties in 2014, with the vast majority of these households making incomes of less than $50,000 a year.
  • Members of Congress and their office staffs have to buy health insurance through the Obamacare insurance exchange.
  • The first amendment after Tuesday’s ‘motion to proceed’ was a vote on an updated version of Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA). I voted for the amendment, but it failed by a vote of 43-57. CLICK HERE to read some information on the BCRA. This week, there will be many, many more amendments voted on and offered by both Republicans and Democrats.

I just received this eml from Senator Langsford from Okla. His form letter explanation on where we are at :

Affordable Care Act and Healthcare Facts:

• Healthcare insurance premiums have increased 76 percent on average for Oklahoma residents on the Obamacare federal exchange. Oklahoma is one of five states to only have only one insurer on the exchange Blue Cross Blue Shieldin 2017, joining South Carolina, Alaska, Alabama and Wyoming.
  • Since 2013, health insurance premiums have risen 105 percent, from an average of $2,784 in 2013 to $5,712 in 2017 on the federal exchange (an increase of $2,928), according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Oklahoma, the situation is much worse, with premiums skyrocketing by 201 percent$4,968 higher since 2013.
  • At least 44 counties across America are projected to have no exchange insurer in 2018. That number will likely climb higher in 2019, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
  • Most Americans receive their healthcare insurance through their employer. Although a much smaller percentage of Americans receive insurance through Obamacare exchanges, the law created regulations and taxes that impacted most employer-based insurance plans. CLICK HERE for a summary of where most Americans get their healthcare insurance.
  • The Affordable Care Act individual mandate was designed to force healthy people to buy insurance coverage, however, it has not accomplished that goal. Many healthy people have decided they would rather pay the IRS penalty than buy Obamacare coverage. According to the IRS, for 2015, 6.5 million people paid the individual mandate penalty and another 12.7 million claimed one of the various exemptions from paying the penalty. In fact, 95,910 families paid $20.9 million in Obamacare penalties in 2014, with the vast majority of these households making incomes of less than $50,000 a year.
  • Members of Congress and their office staffs have to buy health insurance through the Obamacare insurance exchange.
  • The first amendment after Tuesday’s ‘motion to proceed’ was a vote on an updated version of Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA). I voted for the amendment, but it failed by a vote of 43-57. CLICK HERE to read some information on the BCRA. This week, there will be many, many more amendments voted on and offered by both Republicans and Democrats.

Thank you for passing Sen. Langsford's propaganda along. It's helpful to know what misinformation is being foisted on the American people and we can frequently count on it being posted on HuskerBoard.

This letter is another attack on Obamacare, showing the rising costs (in Oklahoma, that's because there's no competition in the marketplace thanks to, among other factors, monopolies and Aetna throwing a tantrum after their merger was denied by the Obama administration), but it offers NOTHING by way of an explanation of how to fix the problem.

Langford does nothing to explain how Trumpcare is going to fix costs.

He does nothing to explain why the GOP is attempting to force the demise of Obamacare at the expense of tens of millions of people who rely on it for healthcare.

He does nothing to explain why the GOP is giving the wealthy a tax cut at the expense of middle-class Americans.

He does nothing to explain why the GOP is hiding everything about Trumpcare from the public via closed-door meetings and squelching open debate.

He does nothing to explain why the GOP sold us the line that Obamacare was "rammed down our throats" in a process that was 300x more transparent than what Republicans are doing.

All he's doing is showing statistics with zero explanation of the machinations causing them to be.

It's a good thing folks on HuskerBoard are smart enough not to just accept misinformation like this. It's unfortunate that many of the recipients of that email will not.

• Fire 5