Repealing the ACA under Trump

I was 99% sure when I woke up this morning that something would have passed. Very surprised that McCain was the final nail in the coffin. Good for him. He lived up to the Maverick name.

*conspiracy theory*: Senate Rs knew this wasn't passing a few hours before the vote. McCain isn't running for reelection. So he gets to take the "fall" for being the final dissenting vote. Allows Heller, Cupito, Flake, Portman, etc to go back to their constituents saying they voted to repeal O-care.

• Fire 4

I'm really happy that McCain did what he did. Let's remember, though, his position has always been to repeal and replace Obamacare.

With all due respect to his service, the better, easier, and more enduring outcome would have been if he had lost his election last November.

• Fire 1

I was 99% sure when I woke up this morning that something would have passed. Very surprised that McCain was the final nail in the coffin. Good for him. He lived up to the Maverick name.

*conspiracy theory*: Senate Rs knew this wasn't passing a few hours before the vote. McCain isn't running for reelection. So he gets to take the "fall" for being the final dissenting vote. Allows Heller, Cupito, Flake, Portman, etc to go back to their constituents saying they voted to repeal O-care.

The common theme amongst the people who had the courage to vote no is that Trump can't touch them.

Collins will run for Governor of Maine in 2018 when LePage is done and it's a blue state. No incentive to vote yes.

Murkowski and McCain were just reelected to new six year terms this year. Sadly, McCain's health may mean he may not be able to continue serving in Congress that entire term.

It's amazing how bigly Trumps attempts to bully people backfired.

What I don't get is why the moderates would vote for repeal anyway. Heller said he would follow his governor's wishes, who said to reject skinny repeal. Capito's WV is one of the states to benefit most from the ACA. Her and Portman both got on board because of added funds for opioid treatment, which were summarily stripped from the final bill. Flake is one of the most vulnerable GOP senators.

For a variety of reasons, none of these votes make sense to me. I guess doubling down on the base.

I emailed, FB'd, tweeted and called all three today.

I'd just add - that Murkowsi & Collins carried this on their backs long before McCain joined the party - acknowledge their courage and consistancy when you call!

• Fire 1