Dems Rebuild

7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Would you vote for progressive Democrats?

My issue with the idea that centrists Dems will get more done and/or be more electable is that we just had the test case for that from 2008-2010 where the Dems controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency and they got almost nothing done - mainly a healthcare policy developed by a conservative think tank. And we're seeing polling that started with Bernie being "more electable" against Trump than Hillary and continues with increasing numbers of races in 2018 - the big one being Ocasio-Cortez. I think the idea that centrists are more electable and/or will get more done is a talking point of the establishment and is a broad generalization that doesn't hold. A better question is how do the policies of a candidate fit the voters of their district, which needs polling data to really determine.

Yeah i would vote for a progressive Democrat. I would have voted for Bernie, and i like a lot of his ideas i'm just thinking if he tried to ram through his agenda it wouldn't work. Medicare for all, $15 an hr minimum wage, free college, fixing social security etc are all things i want i just think there would be fierce opposition to them, and a high probability of failure, especially if he tried to implement them  all at once . 

As far as Obama not getting things done , i think he made a tactical error by trying to work with Republicans to come up with a bipartisan solution on healthcare. He wanted to fix healthcare, but he also wanted to be viewed as a uniter, and bipartisan. I would rather have seen him use his political leverage to go force through universal healthcare, with or without Republican support.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

As far as Obama not getting things done , i think he made a tactical error by trying to work with Republicans to come up with a bipartisan solution on healthcare. He wanted to fix healthcare, but he also wanted to be viewed as a uniter, and bipartisan. I would rather have seen him use his political leverage to go force through universal healthcare, with or without Republican support.

I agree, and it ended up being viewed as being rammed down our throats anyway.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I love comedy, satire, political humor , etc but something about her really puts me off . I don’t find her funny at all . Don’t agree that we can lump all “dems” into one category like that either.

Starts with the voice I think and a bit to smug also, there is some clever commentary on that show however and she grew on me like a fungus. I'm not happy about it overall but it has some pretty colors.

As far as Dems, maybe there are some not like this, but to me it sums them up overall.

Clinton was nearly impeached for a blow job by hypocrites like Gingrich no less. But they cant get down and dirty against one of the most dirty people to ever grace politics.

They are to, Hey dems, "yes"? slap! "but good sir, this is not how we do things, we are outraged, so so much".....slap! "but good sir, you will see, you will!"....slap!  "this is the last straw we shall not forget!" ....slap!

• Plus1 2

Pretty neat. She will be the first Muslim-American woman to serve in Congress. This is a hopelessly gerrymandered district that contains a large part of Detroit, so there's just no way a Republican will beat her in the fall.

Leave it to Detroit to respond to all this anti-immigrant sentiment sweeping the U.S. today. I think a more diverse Congress is a pretty cool.

• Plus1 2

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The tweet is a bit misleading. The article shows that progressives are winning roughly 41% of the time. That's actually much higher than I thought it would be. And even new groups like the Justice Democrats (whom I back) are winning 32% of the time, which is again MUCH higher than I thought they be.

This is not how you successfully rebuild, Dems.

Detroit Rep. Bettie Cook Scott on Asian opponent: 'Don't vote for the ching-chong

Scott is alleged to have referred to Chang as "ching-chang" and "the ching-chong" to multiple voters outside polling precincts during last Tuesday's election. She's also said to have called one of Chang's campaign volunteers an “immigrant,” saying “you don’t belong here” and “I want you out of my country.”

Chang and Scott were running in the Democratic primary for state Sen. District 1. Chang won the election with 49 percent of the vote; Scott came in third with 11 percent of the vote.

"These comments are offensive to all Asian-Americans," Chang tells Metro Times. "It isn't about me. It's about an elected official disrespecting entire populations, whether they be Asian-American, immigrant, or residents of Sen. District 1 or [Cook's] own current house district."

The various off-color remarks were heard by multiple people connected with Chang, including Chang's husband, who spoke with Metro Times. Sean Gray says after overhearing Cook disparaging Chang outside a precinct on the east side of Detroit, "I ... asked her not to speak about my wife in that manner. At that time she said to the voter that 'these immigrants from China are coming over and taking our community from us.' Further, she said it 'disgusts her seeing black people holding signs for these Asians and not supporting their own people.'"

Gray, who is black, says Scott then went on to call him a "fool" for marrying Chang.

• Plus1 2