Supreme Court

Ok...I've had a lot of trump supporters claim the only reason they voted for him was the Supreme Court.

So....now that that's done, can we impeach him?

Only after 4 more picks - Thomas, Kennedy, Ginsburg, Breyer - I think we could easily see 3 of these 4 choose to retire soon - next 2 years.

I think we'll see them stay on the court as long as it takes to get thru the Trump year(s) and not allow him the chance.

This seems like a fairly prototypical conservative SCOTUS pick. Am I wrong? I haven't read too much about him. Capable, respected Judge.

I'd feel happier about this if not for the travesty of Merrick Garland's non consideration. I mean, if they had considered him and voted him down, fine. But they didn't even contemplate his nomination.

• Fire 1

This seems like a fairly prototypical conservative SCOTUS pick. Am I wrong? I haven't read too much about him. Capable, respected Judge.

I'd feel happier about this if not for the travesty of Merrick Garland's non consideration. I mean, if they had considered him and voted him down, fine. But they didn't even contemplate his nomination.

Yeah, Gorsuch is a solid, although deeply conservative, pick.

The Garland obstruction by the GOP is especially galling given how outraged they are that the Dems are doing the same thing to them over the Price and Mnuchin appointments.

• Fire 1

People I know that know him respect him within financial and insurance cases which were his main area while in Denver. Outside that, he's all over the map on the conservative side. He is heavily against Federal agencies being allowed to interpret the law or having any leeway in this regard. That could be very bad for our civil service & many Federal/State agencies. I could see him becoming the far-right anchor of SCOTUS with the Immigration & Healthcare issues....

Don't even start with Garland; that scab isn't gonna heal anytime soon ;)

• Fire 1

So just taking a quick look at his court decisions and statement to questions:

• Applied 2nd Amendment as individual's right to gun possession and argued that being felon is not enough to bar gun ownership; person has to know & believe they are a felon at a minimum...
  • Stated the ACA mandate for birth control was unconstitutional as the government cannot determine the degree of value of a specific religious teaching
  • Has stated he is anti-abortion but recognized precedent must be acknowledged
  • Has declared himself an "origininalst" & "textualist" while stating too much value is given to precedent
  • Has ignored the 1984 Chevron Doctrine decision which gives government agencies leeway to apply and interpret law through regulations when the law is unclear. Has stated this doctrine violates the Constitution framer's design and only courts can interpret the law.
  • Has a record of viewing individual rights' through his position of government agencies not being allowed to interpret law. For now, he's really going to be a wildcard in civil & individual rights issues (i.e. LGBTQ).

Overall he is typically conservative for religious rights; extremely pro State rights'; very conservative on government's right to interpret law; typically conservative on role of government; unknown on civil/individual rights...

Id have to go back and look for the article, but I think I recall reading that he wrote an article in the late 80's (88? while in school) about the inappropriateness of the boycots/push backs we in the US were putting into action to take a stand agsinst apartied in South Africa. I havent dug into that too far as Im tied up this week with travel, but that gave me concern at first blush that his feelings on civil rights issues may be extremely backward for today's times.