So is O'Brien a bust

I don't care about mechanics. The QB can throw it off his foot as long as he completes a good % of his passes and avoids interceptions.

Qbs who tend to throw off their back foot tend not to have the best completion %. On certain types of throws yes it is acceptable. Not generally a throw that requires high accuracy. TA gets lazy on his footwork on "easy" throws and that's why he misses or is off target on a lot of his throws. He's got good arm strength but oviously his arm slot changes quite a bit when his feet aren't set properly

Tanner Lee will be your starting QB for next season. People also have to realize that he will be 22 years old come the start of next season. That helps a lot in experience, not just in football, but maturity of life itself. Also doesn't hurt he has started 2 years in D1 football. O'Brien can work hard to take over during the season or even in 18' but it won't happen initially. Watching some highlights of him at Tulane and he looks solid for what he had to work with.

and he knows the hottest bars on Bourbon

Why are people so set on Tanner Lee? His stats at Tulane really aren't that promising.

2014: 55% passing 12TD/14INT

2015: 51% passing 11TD/7 INT

No thanks. Let's get POB in there and build for the future

Lee deserves for his time here to be judged on it's own merit aside from Tulane. Sometimes quarterbacks, and players in general, just need a change of scenery, sometimes they find the right coach/scheme to mesh with, sometimes they just get better.

Russell Wilson did not set the world on fire in his three years at North Carolina State. His quarterback rating jumped almost 60 points in his senior year at Wisconsin, with his completion % jumping from 57.8% to 72.8%.

Hell, two former mediocre Purdue quarterbacks are now starting at SEC schools.

We've seen more than a handful of players, especially quarterbacks, take a big step up in ability after transferring to at least give Lee the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

• Fire 4

Why are people so set on Tanner Lee? His stats at Tulane really aren't that promising.

Lee deserves for his time here to be judged on it's own merit aside from Tulane. Sometimes quarterbacks, and players in general, just need a change of scenery, sometimes they find the right coach/scheme to mesh with, sometimes they just get better.

Russell Wilson did not set the world on fire in his three years at North Carolina State. His quarterback rating jumped almost 60 points in his senior year at Wisconsin, with his completion % jumping from 57.8% to 72.8%.

We've seen more than a handful of players, especially quarterbacks, take a big step up in ability after transferring to at least give Lee the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

Good points. And thanks, I didn't read all the way back.

The entire premiss of this thread is ridiculous.

And, we did have a backup that I think would have done better than an Armstrong that can't run. .....but, he is injured too.

Next year we will have plenty of depth at QB.

Please add a little explanation of 'depth' as I define depth as 'proven' talent that is ready, able and willing to play in the next game! POB was NOT 'depth' this year as he was off limits apparently as far as playing on this year's team. I am not going to redshirt Gebbia next year in my view of depth as I think we need 4 QBs ready to play any given game. You can lose two or three in a week's time now and then and certainly during the course of hundreds of practices/games annually.

Ludicrous.

Almost no college teams have more than one "proven" talent at quarterback.

And what do you mean "I am not going to redshirt Gebbia next year in my view of depth as I think we need 4 QBs ready to play any given game"? It's not up to you. Or me.

Gebbia, like POB this year, will redshirt, barring injury to everyone in front of him of course. Mark my words. :)

Just from the little I watched on him he completes the passes that TA continually missed. He's got good footwork and a good motion. He's not a statue in the pocket and is able to scramble at times to pick up yards. Is he the second coming of Joe Montana? Probably not. He makes some of the mistakes that TA makes but I think that more or less comes from him being a freshman starter on a not so good team. He stares down his rec on some plays and throws into double coverage. Hopefully those are things he has been working on. And that's against D-1 teams not HS like POB. Competition creates better play. Let the best man win. I don't care who it is as long as it's the best man

I watched Tape on POB - he completed 100% of his passes! My guess is Tommy's tape showed him completing 100% of his passes! I have not watched tape on the new kid but I bet he completes 100% of his passes too! Recruiting tapes are a commercial where everything is good! It is not like that in the BIG!

I believe we need a dual threat QB but I am not a coach - I am just sitting on my couch wondering whatever happened to the Cornhuskers. The guys who were tough!

Alas, a era that has passed!

I watched Tape on POB - he completed 100% of his passes! My guess is Tommy's tape showed him completing 100% of his passes! I have not watched tape on the new kid but I bet he completes 100% of his passes too! Recruiting tapes are a commercial where everything is good! It is not like that in the BIG!

I believe we need a dual threat QB but I am not a coach - I am just sitting on my couch wondering whatever happened to the Cornhuskers. The guys who were tough!

Alas, a era that has passed!

This is why if you have time you need to watch an actual game if you can find one. To me if someone says dual threat you are recruiting a RB with a good arm. This offense doesn't need a dual threat. It needs a guy who read a defense and is going to know where pressure is coming from and move away from the pressure. He can't be a statue but he also doesn't need to rush for 100yds either

All I'm saying is that if you're expecting to win 9 games with Lee as the starter, it's just not happening. I mean I wish the young man luck, but it is what it is.

You would be better off assuming maybe the coaches know what they want and need out of the position. Out of thr 3 guys battling for the spot, thr best guy will win yhr job. If/when it's Lee, you will likely see auch different QB than thr one that played for Tulane. For one he will be more experienced, secondly he will hopefully have better talent protecting him, and lastly he will have better receivers to throw to.

Your 7 win prediction is heard loud and clear.

Good points. And thanks, I didn't read all the way back.

To add on to what Landlord said, Tanner Lee missed games due to a concussion and broken finger in his second season. He also played with a broken finger on his throwing hand for 9 games. Sometimes, the face value of statistics don't always tell the whole story.

• Fire 3