Enhancing the 'Memorial' at the Stadium

Mavric

It is never enough, never.

I agree. Just pointing out differences in mindset. Just on this very board

It is never enough. I for one am one that thinks honoring veterans should never come second. it should never be trumped by complacency or entitlement. I am hypocritical because I know dont do enough myself. But i know in my heart, i am grateful. Thankful. I went to the minnosota game and got to sit next to an old fella who was korean vet. The miliatary stuff at that game (the veterans day game) moistened my eyes quite a bit. I will always argue for the national anthem to be done before athletic competition. I dont care why it was written or what it means and all that literall technical hub bub. it's what it stands for. And the fact that all the kneeling for the anthem actually led to discussions that for the sake, the anthem shouldnt be sung anymore really irks me. We are forgetting where we come from and went through. This sense of entitlement and complacency in this country is running rampant. Never forget. All this is about always recognizing why we are able to gather for these fabulous events in the first place. Anytime i watch a big game on TV or a Super Bowl's anthem singing or halftime, i always sit and think how fortunate we are that we get to enjoy these things. Best place on earth. So why not recognize the real reason's why?

• Fire 1

I took the comments about eagles and don't know why we needed to do anything as offensive. I think they were meant that way originally.

Putting a plaque up that lists men and women killed in battle in later wars is a tremendous idea. The stadium was built to honor those that fell and in a way could be taken as being for todays losses, but adding the name's by each county, says a lot more. Kids (very young people) dying for our protection can never be given enough credit. Their families would appreciate it I am sure.

I took the comments about eagles and don't know why we needed to do anything as offensive. I think they were meant that way originally.

Well, you interpreted incorrectly. So you got offended over your own incorrect interpretation and then made 3 posts accusing/implying you were accusing people of being ingrateful for soldiers dying for them.

• Fire 2

If I am wrong, I am happy to be. I will always call anyone out on this type of thing.

We just had another post about how it was offensive to have military information promoted at the stadium. Felt it was along the same line.

Playing the National anthem, pledge of allegiance all questioned on this board.

Your comments were you did not feel it needed to be done. The families of those that died may have a different idea.

So cover it, duck from it however you like. Your comments were very offensive to me and I am sure others.

No ducking or covering here. I'm neutral on this topic, and simply said that ("I'm not opposed to this but don't think it has to be done either")

Obviously this is a topic that means a lot to you personally and what you've read on other boards has you coming to this one ready to rumble.

I'm sorry that you felt "very" offended by my comments. Seems to me that anyone that didn't say what was exactly in your mind about this topic was going to be on your bad side.

• Fire 1

If I am wrong, I am happy to be. I will always call anyone out on this type of thing.

We just had another post about how it was offensive to have military information promoted at the stadium. Felt it was along the same line.

Playing the National anthem, pledge of allegiance all questioned on this board.

Your comments were you did not feel it needed to be done. The families of those that died may have a different idea.

So cover it, duck from it however you like. Your comments were very offensive to me and I am sure others.

Why would you be happy to tell someone they're dishonoring dead soldiers when that's not what they're doing? That makes no sense.

You're saying "you" a lot here. My first post in this topic was telling you to relax (because you were overreacting to something based completely on your own misunderstanding of a post).

If you're talking about my posts in the previous discussion about how we shouldn't have a bunch of military stuff going on while a bunch of teenagers play a stupid game, I don't really care whether I offended you or anyone else on this board. That is your/their problem which stems once again from misunderstanding.

Anyone who was offended by it was failing to read the reasoning behind why I feel the way I do. Not that members of the military shouldn't be honored but that doing it at every sporting event overinflates the importance of the sport and dillutes the importance of what soldiers do at the same time. That is an opinion and it isn't anti-military in the least. It's equally as valid as thinking we should play the national anthem and you're a grand old flag before every football game, birthday party and car dealership grand opening.

I have several family members in the military. My opinion isn't any more/less important than yours is. Quit implying that it is.

Now that's said, nobody in this topic has yet to say they are against the plaques. Yet you're offended.

• Fire 2

Sure, why not -- since NU can't manage to get a walk-on statue in front of the stadium they built.

In addition, perhaps NU can have more bogus flyovers and random national guardsmen opening the doors to the field, so we can further cheapen military service and sacrifice.

If you want to honor the military, don't vote for people who get them killed in pointless wars.

• Fire 1