How far are we behind the top teams in Big Ten

I'd like to say I mean no disrespect to our players, but there are guys on OSU's roster (specifically Hooker) who could step onto an NFL team out of high school and be contributing in 3 years. We just don't have those type of players. We will if we sign Darnay Holmes or some other big fish we are in on.

I'd like to say I mean no disrespect to our players, but there are guys on OSU's roster (specifically Hooker) who could step onto an NFL team out of high school and be contributing in 3 years. We just don't have those type of players. We will if we sign Darnay Holmes or some other big fish we are in on.

You mean the three star Malik Hooker that only played two years of HS football?

You mean the three star Malik Hooker that only played two years of HS football?

Well that was an incredible find by Meyer because he is a great player

It's pretty apparent that we're not going to go much further with Riley at the helm. The top-tier schools have provided the blueprint: shell out top dollar and hire a big-name coach who can lure 4 and 5-star recruits. Just look at the coaches in the playoff this year: Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and Petersen (I still find it funny how a few years back when I suggested we pursue Petersen to replace Bo, I was told time and time again that he'd never leave Boise). Until we can land top talent, we're not going to be an elite team. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to see.

Did Nebraska ever get to 7-0 under Pelini? No.

I get the impression we got our asses handed to us by Ohio State and Iowa because these certain players (not coincidentally) recruited by Pelini are still most of the starters.

The former coach created a toxic environment where once "9 wins" were achieved, he let the players off and didn't care how they performed in games. That poisonous attitude is still infecting this program. However, on the bright side, most of the starters next year should be Riley recruits and we'll have much better depth to weed out the selfish malcontents.

Houston GBR looks like more people are jumping on that "negative nancy " train, or is it people are trying to be honest with there assessment of where the program currently sits. you won't ever change a problem if you can't admit there is one.

Honest criticisms with actual stuff to back it up is one thing. Saying things like "we will never be relevant ever ever again" without anything to back that up is different.

Man can people be negative. Just so everyone knows, Tom O. Didn't win a conference Championship until '75. When did he take over the football team?? 1973. Man how didn't Nebraska fire a guy who couldn't win a conference Championship taking over a team that was a year removed from winning NC?? What the hell was the AD (Bob Devaney) thinking?? So if the great Doctor Tom couldn't win one in his first two years taking over for a legend and not a turd like Bo Pelini, why can't HCMR get a pass? The football program struggled for 22 yrs. Hired Devaney and won 2 NCs. They hired TO and they didn't win a NC for 22 years and won 3. Now the program has again struggle for 19 yrs. If you follow the trend we should be due for 4 consecutive NCs so just hang in there everybody!

It's pretty apparent that we're not going to go much further with Riley at the helm. The top-tier schools have provided the blueprint: shell out top dollar and hire a big-name coach who can lure 4 and 5-star recruits. Just look at the coaches in the playoff this year: Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and Petersen (I still find it funny how a few years back when I suggested we pursue Petersen to replace Bo, I was told time and time again that he'd never leave Boise). Until we can land top talent, we're not going to be an elite team. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to see.

I get the impression we got our asses handed to us by Ohio State and Iowa because these certain players (not coincidentally) recruited by Pelini are still most of the starters.

The former coach created a toxic environment where once "9 wins" were achieved, he let the players off and didn't care how they performed in games. That poisonous attitude is still infecting this program. However, on the bright side, most of the starters next year should be Riley recruits and we'll have much better depth to weed out the selfish malcontents.

Dude we didn't get piss pounded because of that ! damn

Man can people be negative. Just so everyone knows, Tom O. Didn't win a conference Championship until '75. When did he take over the football team?? 1973. Man how didn't Nebraska fire a guy who couldn't win a conference Championship taking over a team that was a year removed from winning NC?? What the hell was the AD (Bob Devaney) thinking?? So if the great Doctor Tom couldn't win one in his first two years taking over for a legend and not a turd like Bo Pelini, why can't HCMR get a pass? The football program struggled for 22 yrs. Hired Devaney and won 2 NCs. They hired TO and they didn't win a NC for 22 years and won 3. Now the program has again struggle for 19 yrs. If you follow the trend we should be due for 4 consecutive NCs so just hang in there everybody!

lol

lol

Why not?

Bama waited like 18 years before they were back on top of the mountain and look where theyre at.

I'm guessing you're being a little hyperbolic about the nine wins part - I don't believe the understanding was 'get to nine wins' and then let the players off the hook. There were a couple of seasons where the team only achieved nine wins thanks to a bowl game victory. Some seasons, it was a struggle to hit the nine win mark.

That said, year three will show us a lot about Mike Riley's future. Many of the players he's recruited, or players that have spent more time under his regime than Pelini's, will now be seeing the field. We'll truly begin to see what kind of development they've undergone and if more of the mentally weak attitude that festered around Pelini's program is still lingering.

well okay but even when Tom wasn't winning the conference every yr we were competing against and beating the best teams in the land! We were always rated in the top 20 and usually in the top 10. In other word we were "relevant"

well okay but even when Tom wasn't winning the conference every yr we were competing against and beating the best teams in the land! We were always rated in the top 20 and usually in the top 10. In other word we were "relevant"

Part of my point was he took over a team that had recently won a NC and he didn't win his first CC until his 3rd yr. Taking over a Bob Devaney team 1 yr removed from winning the big one is a lot different than taking over a Bo Pelini team that struggled to go 9-3 and had blowout losses. Mike should get at least 4 years before the pitch forks come out because the program is not in the shape it was when TO took over or even when Solich took over.

Houston GBR looks like more people are jumping on that "negative nancy " train, or is it people are trying to be honest with there assessment of where the program currently sits. you won't ever change a problem if you can't admit there is one.

Honest criticisms with actual stuff to back it up is one thing. Saying things like "we will never be relevant ever ever again" without anything to back that up is different.

did I say that