Music City Bowl vs Tennessee

Saunders

All that SEC talent and stellar recruiting. And yet the couldn't win arguably the weakest division in college football this year...

Yeah, Iowa was a sh**ty game. But not as sh**ty as Ohio State. So I still wonder why you expect Tennessee to handle us like they did.

I just gave you several reasons why I do not think this game will go well.

I first couple offensive series should tell us all we need to know. Not like we have the depth today to make very large adjustments or scheme changes.

Even if we did, I doubt we would. I dunno, I am just NOT* "sold" on Danny Langsdorf as an OC.

I don't think he's very creative, I don't think he actually watches any film. If he does watch film, I doubt he's looking for fronts or coverages that can be exploited by a play or a tweak of a play.

I mean take our games against Purdue the last two years. They were awful at defending the run heading into our game. But, the day the play us, they looked a bit like Alabama defending the run.

I am certainly not demanding a huge play every time, but so often our offense just looks inept. Part of that could be our limitations at QB though so who knows?

* I edited in that bolded NOT above. That's initially what I meant to say.

I first couple offensive series should tell us all we need to know. Not like we have the depth today to make very large adjustments or scheme changes.

Even if we did, I doubt we would. I dunno, I am just "sold" on Danny Langsdorf as an OC.

I don't think he's very creative, I don't think he actually watches any film. If he does watch film, I doubt he's looking for fronts or coverages that can be exploited by a play or a tweak of a play.

I mean take our games against Purdue the last two years. They were awful at defending the run heading into our game. But, the day the play us, they looked a bit like Alabama defending the run.

I am certainly not demanding a huge play every time, but so often our offense just looks inept. Part of that could be our limitations at QB though so who knows?

I think this is probably more significant than some folks may think. TA is not the kind of QB that DL or MR have coached or game planned with. He's a tool that they don't quite know how to use most effectively.

I think the offense next year will be far more representative of what DL and MR are trying to install and run. I think Tanner Lee will be Zach Taylor-esque. He'll be competent and mostly reliable, but POB is hopefully the QB that NU has been waiting for.

All that SEC talent and stellar recruiting. And yet the couldn't win arguably the weakest division in college football this year...

Yeah, Iowa was a sh**ty game. But not as sh**ty as Ohio State. So I still wonder why you expect Tennessee to handle us like they did.

So it's solely because you are pessemistic about Nebraska and has very little to do with Tenessee's actual capabilities.

So it's solely because you are pessemistic about Nebraska and has very little to do with Tenessee's actual capabilities.

TA, Westerkamp, Newby, Gerry being out is pessimistic?

Ryker having a cast on his wrist is pessimistic?

Tennessee having higher recruiting classes is pessimistic?

Tennessee playing basically a home game is pessimistic?

Jones isn't a good enough coach to use all that talent plain and simple. We run the ball and move the chains we have a chance. And a lot of people have been able to do just that.

As far as injuries go:

Armstrong is hit or miss on how well he plays in big games

Newby is a minor miss

Losing Gerry sucks, but Reed is a baller.

We need to pound Zig and dash Newby off Gates. Plow towards that left side and hit them in the mouth early. Defense can bend, not break.

TA, Westerkamp, Newby, Gerry being out is pessimistic?

Ryker having a cast on his wrist is pessimistic?

Tennessee having higher recruiting classes is pessimistic?

Tennessee playing basically a home game is pessimistic?

No, saying a team that underachieves as hard as Tenessee does that is also injured quite a bit will steam roll us 60+ to nothing is pessemistic.

Jones isn't a good enough coach to use all that talent plain and simple. We run the ball and move the chains we have a chance. And a lot of people have been able to do just that.

As far as injuries go:

Armstrong is hit or miss on how well he plays in big games

Newby is a minor miss

Losing Gerry sucks, but Reed is a baller.

We need to pound Zig and dash Newby off Gates. Plow towards that left side and hit them in the mouth early. Defense can bend, not break.

Okay I was DEAD wrong lol. We look like an FCS team

Even if we did, I doubt we would. I dunno, I am just NOT* "sold" on Danny Langsdorf as an OC.

* I edited in that bolded NOT above. That's initially what I meant to say.

If DL didn't watch film or make adjustments he wouldn't be employed by anyone as an OC. The issue is with as you stated with the players mainly TA's inability to read defenses and ignoring every other aspect of the passing game other than that YOLO. If the offense is still limited after he gets more competent QB play and better overall talent level, then you will be right. But we are so limited on the talent front right now that coordinators on both sides are limited on what they can and can't do. That is why college football coaches should get at least 6 years to show if they are the right person to build the program.

• Fire 1

Our defense is the definition of pathetic right now. Play calling isn't helping that either. Soft coverages (nothing new) and not much pressure on the edges.

That is what you have to do when they have better athletes that you do. Combine that with nobody who can put pressure on the QB without blitzing. That should all change when/if we get some pass rushing DE's on the roster.