The Games that matter....

dvdcrr

Steve P. fired Solich saying that he wouldnt let the program go to mediocrity, and we werent winning the games that mattered. (K State) Then SE fired Bo Pelini saying: "We weren't good enough in the games that mattered" And that was after a victory over Iowa.

Now when I look at this year there were three games that mattered. We lost all three.

In two years only the MSU game stands out.

Now I aint no genius. Hard to believe, I know.

But bear with me.

If you are going to be firing guys for not winnin the right games, at some point dont you need to hire folks who can win those games?

Otherwise don't you look like a fool or hypocrite, standing by your man who has no proof of being better than the one you fired?

( Notice I didnt even mention throat slasher, not worth it.)

Solich was 58-19 including a visit to the NC game.

Pelini was 67-27. No power 5 program had ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years.

No wonder coaching prospects think Nebraska is crazy.

I think this team will look and play a lot differently in 2017. If you look at the roster this year most of the guys playing have had their position on lock for the last 3 yrs (both lines excluded). I think normally when I new coach comes in there would be more competition for spots. I just feel like that didn't really happen because of the mindset of the team and what Mike Riley was trying to do. Do you bench a long time starter and have that affect his buddies on the team and cause a rift?? There are a lot of major positions opening up next year and coaches won't be as hamstrung on who to play. Just my thought on how things went and by no means think it is fact. I just think MR read the situation of the team and fan base. Yes at Nebraska you have to deal with both. At first I wasn't that excited about next year but I really think we will see some major improvement.

Every game you lose is the game that matters.

Yep. If we would have beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa, but then dropped two to Northwestern/Illinois, those games would have mattered as we still would have likely lost the west. Would we be happy? Nah.

It is true that no power 5 program has ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years. But it is also true that out of every P5 coach in the history of college football to have that good of a record, only three of them didn't win a conference championship in that timeframe (and none of those three ever did).

• Fire 3

Les Miles and Mack Brown both had better records than Pelini plus a national championship on top of it and were fired. Just recent examples off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Miles went 114-34 at LSU. Makes Bo's 67-27 look weak.

What we need is the talent to win the big games consistently. I think Riley can do it if he gets the talent. Bo probably could have done it too, had he brought in more talent.

• Fire 2

They all matter although maybe some games matter more than others. Frank and Bo were fired for things not directly determined by the winning percentage. As Osborne said its "More than winning!" You have to do things the 'right' way by being publicly honest and sincere and having integrity. In addition, you have to respect the fans, the University and its administration (your employer) and the people beneath you. You have to endear yourself to the fans and the big boosters and keep them from being too unhappy by winning enough games that matter. Now and then, even once a year or so, you can lose one you maybe wouda', coulda' and shoulda' won but don't get blown out and let that become a habit.

The context of the losses, how bad the losses are under the circumstances, and of course the recruiting and so on. Callahan recruited but was entirely focused on offense (his mindset) and the defense just fell apart without the requisite talent. He put most of his recruiting eggs in the offiense but without the superior QB (for example - playing Joe Daily), the results were 'firing bad'.

Riley is ahead of the hounds but not that far really. He better keep running as hard as he can because one slip and he's in deep trouble. I like Mike and I suspect that most of the players do as well but being liked is always easier than being respected (you earn that over a longer period of time). Hopefully, he and his staff will work their butts off and get lucky and finish this recruiting class out with a bang and not a loud thud. Winning the Music City Bowl (lol - imagine that your future and 'legacy' depended on winning that one? LOL) is very important as a boost to the recruiting finish and to re-energize the team going into the off season.

I believe that challenge facing Riley in 2017 may be the most difficult for any Husker HC since perhaps Frank's challenge after 2001. The cupboard is not bare but it is very low and needs a major restocking. We are going to have to play a big bunch of young an or inexperienced (same thing to me) guys all over the field. Just finding team captains may be tricky. I know many on here seem to think somehow 2017 will be easy and 11 wins is expected. I am just hoping we can find a way to win more than we lose. How long does Riley last? 2017 has a bunch of games 'that matter' and winning them won't be easy. It's more than winning but winning is still 'job one'.

• Fire 2

Every game you lose is the game that matters.

Yep. If we would have beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa, but then dropped two to Northwestern/Illinois, those games would have mattered as we still would have likely lost the west. Would we be happy? Nah.

It is true that no power 5 program has ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years. But it is also true that out of every P5 coach in the history of college football to have that good of a record, only three of them didn't win a conference championship in that timeframe (and none of those three ever did).

Solich won the Big 12 in 1999

Of course all games matter, but you do have to win the big ones to take your program to the next level. That being said, we aren't there yet until we do. I honestly feel any joe can come to Nebraska and win at least 6-7 games / year. If you recruit well, you should be able to win 8-9. To start winning 10+ is where the coaching comes into play.

We are still partying like it's 1999

• Fire 1