Good grief

mwj98

I don't think next year is make or break for Riley. It will really be the first season of getting his pieces in place.

But if that's not paying off in 2018....yeah, the seat's hot.

I agree - I'm personally not ready to say it's a "make or break" type year, which to me has always suggested either he reaches an important goal or gets fired.

The question will be how much leeway the coaches are given. Do they receive a considerable amount of slack given they're breaking in a brand new starting quarterback, have some questions on the lines, lose WR depth and have to replace Nate Gerry? Or, do people end up looking at those thing as just excuses rather reasons?

I do know most of the starters next year will either be Riley recruits or will have spent just as much time (if not more) training under Riley than they did Pelini.

2017 - Had to break in a new QB, all the OL is young, not much depth at WR, look how many guys we lost from last year, ....

2018 - It's the B1G's fault - look at how tough that schedule is!, we were so far behind on DL recruiting that we're still trying to catch up, ....

2019 - .....

• Fire 1

I don't think next year is make or break for Riley. It will really be the first season of getting his pieces in place.

But if that's not paying off in 2018....yeah, the seat's hot.

I agree - I'm personally not ready to say it's a "make or break" type year, which to me has always suggested either he reaches an important goal or gets fired.

The question will be how much leeway the coaches are given. Do they receive a considerable amount of slack given they're breaking in a brand new starting quarterback, have some questions on the lines, lose WR depth and have to replace Nate Gerry? Or, do people end up looking at those thing as just excuses rather reasons?

I do know most of the starters next year will either be Riley recruits or will have spent just as much time (if not more) training under Riley than they did Pelini.

2017 - Had to break in a new QB, all the OL is young, not much depth at WR, look how many guys we lost from last year, ....

2018 - It's the B1G's fault - look at how tough that schedule is!, we were so far behind on DL recruiting that we're still trying to catch up, ....

2019 - .....

Save those...because they will be used. Next year NU will be the only team in the nation "breaking in a new QB", they will be the only team with "new WR's" and so on and so on

good god! some Husker fans have me wondering what the Eff they are doing on a husker board. everything is doom and gloom at all times. is there anything you guys like about husker football besides the excuse to spout your extreme pessimism all the time? think i will step away and leave you guys to wallow in your own crap...you certainly seem to enjoy it.

• Fire 2

good god! some Husker fans have me wondering what the Eff they are doing on a husker board. everything is doom and gloom at all times. is there anything you guys like about husker football besides the excuse to spout your extreme pessimism all the time? think i will step away and leave you guys to wallow in your own crap...you certainly seem to enjoy it.

sorry after a long enough time you get jaded

go watch a team that makes you happy if this 1 isn't good enough for you.

• Fire 2

Jaded? That is fine, we've all been there at some point.

But honestly, there are some posters on here who can't see the good things happening within the program if it was a sign 10 feet tall with 9,000 point font, if it was right in front of them, and flashing.

• Fire 1

Jaded? That is fine, we've all been there at some point.

But honestly, there are some posters on here who can't see the good things happening within the program if it was a sign 10 feet tall with 9,000 point font, if it was right in front of them, and flashing.

Do those good things indicate we will win the conference or even the division in the next 3 yrs! Do they indicate we won't be blown out again on national TV ?

I definately saw the positive 'direction' and apparent momentum building in the first half of the season after the bowl game which I thougth was one of our better wins in years in terms of program direction indicator.

I have argued for years we lack the requisite talent and depth to become a legitimate contender for conference and national titles. There is not that much difference between the two titles in terms of talent requirementas the Big Ten is on par with the SEC if not better at the top tier so winning the Big Ten is about the same as winning the national championship. There is talent on this year's team but barely 'one deep' in some positions and a thin two deep in many others. We need another 50 or so players that can honestly compete to start across the board.

I don't know exactly how we got to this minimal level of depth but it must stop now. I had suggested Riley should immediately redshirt his best and play the rest in season one to begin to rebuild the depth and recruit and recruit and recruit by bringing in every possible scholarship level guy plus doubling the walk-ons to earn future scholarships. Now, after two years, it appears we may not have done nearly enough. Maybe they have a load of talent waiting in the shadows to unveil this coming fall? Hope so as it will be 'now or never' looking at the schedule and depth chart, etc.

Believe it or not, there's a place between blind koolaid drinking optimism, and the sky is falling.

Penn state just won the conference, 5 years after nearly being nuked as a program.

All I'm asking for is a conference title before we hit 2 decades without one.

Agreed.

I think this years results are where we should have been at last year considering the way we lost games. So this year 9-3 with a couple blowouts feels like more of the same. Top it off with a complete halt to recruiting optimism and we all mostly feel pretty meh about the program currently.

There is a lot to like, there is a lot not to like. I want a damn conference title more than anything right now. I expect one and feel we as such a passionate and dedicated fan base DESERVE a title. But the fact it's been almost 2 decades since our last one isn't solely Riley's fault. It's not even Cally, Bo or Franky's fault. It's all their faults, we couldn't have hit a 2 decade drought without all of them.

That's not a knock to any of them specifically, it is what it is. They each tried their damndest to get us a title, Riley still could. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus because I think 2017 will be the first year we truly see this team under his guidance, probably why I haven't felt nearly as invested in Nebraska yet as I was under Bo.

Believe it or not, there's a place between blind koolaid drinking optimism, and the sky is falling.

Penn state just won the conference, 5 years after nearly being nuked as a program.

All I'm asking for is a conference title before we hit 2 decades without one.

Agreed.

I think this years results are where we should have been at last year considering the way we lost games. So this year 9-3 with a couple blowouts feels like more of the same. Top it off with a complete halt to recruiting optimism and we all mostly feel pretty meh about the program currently.

There is a lot to like, there is a lot not to like. I want a damn conference title more than anything right now. I expect one and feel we as such a passionate and dedicated fan base DESERVE a title. But the fact it's been almost 2 decades since our last one isn't solely Riley's fault. It's not even Cally, Bo or Franky's fault. It's all their faults, we couldn't have hit a 2 decade drought without all of them.

That's not a knock to any of them specifically, it is what it is. They each tried their damndest to get us a title, Riley still could. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus because I think 2017 will be the first year we truly see this team under his guidance, probably why I haven't felt nearly as invested in Nebraska yet as I was under Bo.

I think the scary part is what you mentioned with recruiting. If we are to assume that Bo and his staff were horrible recruiters and that Riley and his staff are super organized and great recruiters...well...if the results are basically the same...that is a problem.

• Fire 2

I think the problem under Bo was the fact this was their first go at it. They, as a staff, hadn't ever recruited before. So we fell way behind during the first 3 years. Meanwhile the on field results all pointed up. Then they were left to play catch up during a conference change with a less than stellar cupboard. Plenty of talent but it wasn't exactly the right talent and not enough depth to it. It was a recipe for disaster.

Under Riley, these guys know what they are doing. Well oiled machine if you will. But they are still treating Nebraska like it's Oregon State I feel like. We shouldn't be playing underdog brand name anymore. These guys see a talent early on, yet still have to fight tooth and nail as the bottom of a recruits top 3-5. Nebraska still sells itself enough that we should be hitting on some of these much earlier on.

I definately saw the positive 'direction' and apparent momentum building in the first half of the season after the bowl game which I thougth was one of our better wins in years in terms of program direction indicator.

I have argued for years we lack the requisite talent and depth to become a legitimate contender for conference and national titles. There is not that much difference between the two titles in terms of talent requirementas the Big Ten is on par with the SEC if not better at the top tier so winning the Big Ten is about the same as winning the national championship. There is talent on this year's team but barely 'one deep' in some positions and a thin two deep in many others. We need another 50 or so players that can honestly compete to start across the board.

I don't know exactly how we got to this minimal level of depth but it must stop now. I had suggested Riley should immediately redshirt his best and play the rest in season one to begin to rebuild the depth and recruit and recruit and recruit by bringing in every possible scholarship level guy plus doubling the walk-ons to earn future scholarships. Now, after two years, it appears we may not have done nearly enough. Maybe they have a load of talent waiting in the shadows to unveil this coming fall? Hope so as it will be 'now or never' looking at the schedule and depth chart, etc.

agree, 2017 needs to be solid to survive going beyond that.........