Good grief

mwj98

FCS is garbage. I'm sorry. I've been to many games up here in Fargo. Yes, NDSU is a quality football team, but the overall level of competition is not good. Every year there are a handful of very good FCS teams. These are the ones trumpeted by the "we're division 1, not 1-AA" crowd. But in terms of overall quality, it is NOT the same.

FCS, DII and DIII to a point are all top heavy but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Also, that still doesn't invalidate what Bo has accomplished this year. YSU has FCS talent and they are playing FCS schools. I don't know what level of football you are expecting to see but all the divisions, including FBS, have a set of team that are not good. However, once you are playing for a NC, you have played some of the best teams in your division.

• Fire 3

Not to mention that YSU is hardly the only FCS team to have at least a couple FBS castoffs.

FCS, DII and DIII to a point are all top heavy but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Also, that still doesn't invalidate what Bo has accomplished this year. YSU has FCS talent and they are playing FCS schools. I don't know what level of football you are expecting to see but all the divisions, including FBS, have a set of team that are not good. However, once you are playing for a NC, you have played some of the best teams in your division.

Exactly. Saying that "of course Bo should dominate the FCS- that division is garbage" is a pretty stupid argument. YSU doesn't have any unfair advantages compared to other FCS schools, other than existing in a state with football talent. So do many FCS schools that didn't make the playoffs.

Give Bo some credit. I don't like the guy either, but good grief, he's in the championship game. We need to stop manufacturing excuses as to why he had success this year.

This topic is full of silliness.

1) Getting to the national championship is good no matter what level you're playing at. I don't know why people are arguing that it doesn't mean anything because it's FCS. That's silliness.

2) It's not relevant what Bo does at another school. We know he wasn't going to do it here. He had 7 years and in 2011 started trying to find a way out. He was also an a**hole and I'm glad he's gone.

That may be the play of the year, at any level of football. The amazing, unusual nature of the catch combined with the stakes of the game... what tops that?

I'm actually amazed that the referee was able to see the play clearly enough and make the correct call. I think in many instances like that the referee will error on the side of an incompletion, but the ref did a great job of seeing the catch made.

That may be the play of the year, at any level of football. The amazing, unusual nature of the catch combined with the stakes of the game... what tops that?

I'm actually amazed that the referee was able to see the play clearly enough and make the correct call. I think in many instances like that the referee will error on the side of an incompletion, but the ref did a great job of seeing the catch made.

As much as it's in our nature as fans to bitch at the refs, they do a pretty good job. If you've ever called a game, any sport, at any competitive level, you know how hard it is to see everything. And from field level it seems harder to see than from the stands, a little away from the action.

As much as it's in our nature as fans to bitch at the refs, they do a pretty good job. If you've ever called a game, any sport, at any competitive level, you know how hard it is to see everything. And from field level it seems harder to see than from the stands, a little away from the action.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the refs, and I agree that they do a good job, in general. Football moves so fast that I know they can't catch everything. I was just commenting that it was such an unusual play and there is so much ambiguity on "what exactly is a catch" that I wouldn't have been surprised if the ref called the pass incomplete.

He needed Carl. When Carl left so did our defense. The wrong brother maybe in charge.

If we think Bo didn't have the temperament to be in charge, we know fully well Carl didn't. All the media and administration politics aside, Bo is a very good football coach and Carl is one of the better defensive line coaches around.

Defensive coaches are often more outwardly passionate than offensive coaches.

We've had some very talented coaches at Nebraska over the past 15 years. The power struggles at the higher levels have adversely affected the football program.

It weird how many former Husker football coaches are having success elsewhere........

Not really weird, is it? Just the revolving door of football. I don't think we'd consider Solich's and Gill's records acceptable by Nebraska standards. Carl Peleni embarrassed his second university on the way out the door. Bohl deserves all his FCS accolades and may well be proving himself at Wyoming, but I don't know if you could say the Athletic Department let him slip away. Same with Bill Callahan -- who like Carl and Bo -- is where he should be. You could say Tim Beck and Shawn Watson had success elsewhere, but I didn't think we were supposed to miss them.

He can do great at YSU, it doesn't matter cause he is playing competition that is worse right now. If he wins good for him, he can win at one level but not the other. Give him credit for getting them really far in year two and I wonder how long he can continue to get Youngstown this far.

The top of the FCS is no joke.
True statement. NDSU beat Iowa who has owned NU since Riley has been here.

But Mike is nice.

We would beat every team at the fcs level, outside of a few slip ups. Yes he is playing great fcs teams but its not like hes playing great teams from non p5 schools, hes playing fcs foes. I hope he does well and wish him the best, but the competition is a step down. Mike is nice and he will do well here and the competition we will play in the next few years is the top competition in the country. So I hope we do well and win some big games instead of watch Bo win big games at the fcs level.
He is also playing with FCS talent. It isn't like he has FBS talent playing in the FCS.

It is OK to say he is a good coach but not the right coach for Nebraska.

Didn't he get a couple defects from Nebraska and a few other places.. so no he wasn't playing with fcs talent.

Alexander and Moss followed him to YSU. Moss didn't have many other options.

Not to mention that YSU is hardly the only FCS team to have at least a couple FBS castoffs.

But he still had them and they played. He also had the fact that he Coached at a power 5 school to help in recruiting so I'm sure he got a few guys that wouldn't have gone to YSU.

Not that it matters at this point, but Alexander didn't play in the semi-final game (suspension: go figure :) ) and Avery Moss got injured in the 2nd quarter I think and not sure if he returned (no defensive stats credited to him).

I'm not claiming Bo should be the coach at NU, but I do think he should get more credit for his coaching ability than he is given by some Husker fans.

The only people that were offended by Bo were the people who left games early anyway. Riley laughing at penalties on the side line is equally offensive in my opinion.

So you were the one standing outside the stadium polling people who left early to see if they liked or disliked Bo. And for a fact every one was thumbs down on Bo? Could you possibly make a more ridiculous statement? I for one didn't want a man who didn't want to be here coaching for Nebraska. He had plenty of faults both as a coach and socially in public. In the privacy of his home he was probably a decent guy.

• Fire 3

The only people that were offended by Bo were the people who left games early anyway. Riley laughing at penalties on the side line is equally offensive in my opinion.

Losing your head, screaming, throwing objects, and swinging a hat at a referee (while spitting 18 gallons of saliva) is equivalent to letting out a disbelieving laugh?

That's like saying cursing at someone for cutting you off on the road is the same as getting out of your car with a baseball bat and smashing their windscreen.

• Fire 3