IF We Swing and Miss Badly...Why?

Maybe ... just maybe ... it is - in fact - kind of tough to recruit to Nebraska.

:dunno

It's EXTREMELY difficult -- that's my point! Which is exactly why we need a big-name coach! You're telling me Meyer or Saban couldn't recruit to Lincoln? Top-tier kids will go wherever the top-tier coaches are. We don't currently have a top-tier coach; therefore they're not going to come here. Now, are we going to get Saban or Meyer? Of course not. But there are plenty of other big names out there -- Chip Kelly, for example -- who we could pursue. That's the only way we'll ever land the level of talent we need to compete.

Maybe ... just maybe ... it is - in fact - kind of tough to recruit to Nebraska.

It's EXTREMELY difficult -- that's my point! Which is exactly why we need a big-name coach! You're telling me Meyer or Saban couldn't recruit to Lincoln? Top-tier kids will go wherever the top-tier coaches are. We don't currently have a top-tier coach; therefore they're not going to come here. Now, are we going to get Saban or Meyer? Of course not. But there are plenty of other big names out there -- Chip Kelly, for example -- who we could pursue. That's the only way we'll ever land the level of talent we need to compete.

Callahan was a piss poor coach....he sold a vision and got a top 5 class

Listen -- when Riley was hired, he was given the resources and freedom to assemble a top-notch staff. But instead of doing that, the majority of guys he assembled were his buddies from Oregon State. He had the chance to hire Ed Orgeron as DC -- Orgeron publicly stated that he was interested -- but instead, he hired his buddy Banker. That's when I sensed we were in trouble.

Callahan was a piss poor coach....he sold a vision and got a top 5 class

He got a Top 5 class mostly on the back of signing 32 (ish) guys in that class. The average rating of that class was significantly lower than most of the classes we've signed since.

• Fire 2

I haven't read a post but just wanted to say that listening to some of these sports writers and husker recruiting guys on the radio and reading their articles is pretty exhausting. Don't get too excited about them because these guys are rarely right and just like to get people intrigued. Really think about it...they don't know anything more than we can find out when it comes to having an idea which direction a kid is leaning. It's their job nothing against them because that's how they make money but don't get worked up about it. The credibility of these guys for me gets lower and lower every year.

I haven't read a post but just wanted to say that listening to some of these sports writers and husker recruiting guys on the radio and reading their articles is pretty exhausting. Don't get too excited about them because these guys are rarely right and just like to get people intrigued. Really think about it...they don't know anything more than we can find out when it comes to having an idea which direction a kid is lean

Nebraska makes huge revenue through football. They have plenty of $ to spend if they want to compete with the big boys. Since we're geographically disadvantaged, we probably should be spending even MORE than they are in order to compete.

Nebraska is the top spender in the Big Ten when it comes to recruiting.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/husker-football-top-spender-in-growing-big-ten-recruiting-expenses/article_734471e2-2bfe-11e6-ace5-ffc6461ab7a2.html

It's just tough to recruit here but it's great guys are coming to campus atleast. The exposure will keep us in the game and eventually a few guys will commit which is when it can really open up the doors. We already spend a ridiculous amount on recruiting and facilities...no matter what people say about parity our facilities are still ahead of the game and the amount we spend on football recruiting is onenof the highest in the country and only going up.

• Fire 1

An Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban could definitely recruit to Nebraska, sure. I believe they could average top-10 classes.

Trouble is. An Urban Meyer and a Nick Saban aren't going to take a job at Nebraska, so that doesn't really matter.

Scott Frost might be our only good shot at being an elite program ever again. Think about it - the two coaches responsible for Nebraska football being what it is were Devaney and Osborne. Osborne is a small-town Nebraska kid, born and raised, and Devaney lived in a world that looked a lot different than the one in 2017 - a world where it was a lot easier to be successful and content in a profession like football coaching in a place like Nebraska. We have never really had any history with 'mercenary' coaches, and the odds are very much stacked against us that if we ever offer truckloads of cash to someone that would be considered an 'outsider', that they'll either fail, or they'll leave the second an easier opportunity comes their way.

An Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban could definitely recruit to Nebraska, sure. I believe they could average top-10 classes.

Trouble is. An Urban Meyer and a Nick Saban aren't going to take a job at Nebraska, so that doesn't really matter.

Scott Frost might be our only good shot at being an elite program ever again. Think about it - the two coaches responsible for Nebraska football being what it is were Devaney and Osborne. Osborne is a small-town Nebraska kid, born and raised, and Devaney lived in a world that looked a lot different than the one in 2017 - a world where it was a lot easier to be successful and content in a profession like football coaching in a place like Nebraska. We have never really had any history with 'mercenary' coaches, and the odds are very much stacked against us that if we ever offer truckloads of cash to someone that would be considered an 'outsider', that they'll either fail, or they'll leave the second an easier opportunity comes their way.

I would agree. You need someone in charge that truly believes Nebraska can be elite, not someone just hoping they can get there. It takes a special person. Not saying Riley doesn't believe it, but he may not know what it takes to make Nebraska elite. It's a unique place.