What does Banker do well?

LMAO are we really trying to compare banker to McBride?????

Only in the sense that there was a time when McBride wasn't liked any more than Banker is now.

And believe it or not, there was a time when McBride wasn't considered a top shelf defensive coordinator.

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

Yeah, I don't think that's what they said.

If that's what they've always wanted to run, they would have been doing that at Oregon State.

I didn't say that.

And I did read that they wanted to run a 3-4 but we didn't have enough linebackers. I'm 99% positive it was talked about briefly here on this board also.

You may have read that but that's an exaggeration based on one comment that Riley said. The quote was something like "We could run a 3-4 which is maybe something we'd like to get back to." That's not nearly the same as saying that's what they really want to run. Especially with Riley talking.

We might not have a lot of linebackers but we have almost nothing for DEs. If they wanted to run a 3-4, this would have been a handy year to do it.

• Fire 1

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.

Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

McBride's teams won conference championships, finished in the top 10 in final rankings, played for National Championships, and some of his defenses were top 10 defenses PRIOR to the change to the 4-3.

Not apples to apples.

Ya, either you weren't around in the 70s and 80s or you forgot or you chose to forget to mention it. When NU had big slow defenders and OU was burning us every year, and Charlie was in love with a 5-2 defense, Voices From the Grandstand were calling for his head. They sounded a lot like, well, you.

I'm guessing cornstar hasn't been around quite as long as we have. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Oh, I was around. I remember people wanting McBride to go in the late 80s early 90s.

Iirc he had the top ranked defense in 82 and 84. I could be wrong, but I think there were about couple of years in the early to mid 80s where he fielded top ranked defenses.

Point being, even prior to the switch to the 4-3 his track record is leaps and bounds better than Banker.

I am to lazy to read through the whole thread or look it up but has banker ever had a top 25 defense? Yeah I know he didn't have a whole lot to work with at Oregon State but does he even have a track record of forcing turnovers or getting to the quarterback. I live in PAC 12 country so I followed them a bit but not to closely and some of Riley last year's the defense was getting shredded by FCS schools.

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.

Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

McBride's teams won conference championships, finished in the top 10 in final rankings, played for National Championships, and some of his defenses were top 10 defenses PRIOR to the change to the 4-3.

Not apples to apples.

Ya, either you weren't around in the 70s and 80s or you forgot or you chose to forget to mention it. When NU had big slow defenders and OU was burning us every year, and Charlie was in love with a 5-2 defense, Voices From the Grandstand were calling for his head. They sounded a lot like, well, you.

I'm guessing cornstar hasn't been around quite as long as we have. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Oh, I was around. I remember people wanting McBride to go in the late 80s early 90s.

Iirc he had the top ranked defense in 82 and 84. I could be wrong, but I think there were about couple of years in the early to mid 80s where he fielded top ranked defenses.

Point being, even prior to the switch to the 4-3 his track record is leaps and bounds better than Banker.

You're not wrong, he did. In fact, at one point just prior to The Run, I remarked to one of my brothers that every year it seemed like we were great on either offense OR defense but we couldn't seem to put it all together in one year.

I am to lazy to read through the whole thread or look it up but has banker ever had a top 25 defense? Yeah I know he didn't have a whole lot to work with at Oregon State but does he even have a track record of forcing turnovers or getting to the quarterback. I live in PAC 12 country so I followed them a bit but not to closely and some of Riley last year's the defense was getting shredded by FCS schools.

Hasn't been mentioned, but if anyone can find those stats it would be Mav.

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

If that's what they've always wanted to run, they would have been doing that at Oregon State.

I didn't say that.

And I did read that they wanted to run a 3-4 but we didn't have enough linebackers. I'm 99% positive it was talked about briefly here on this board also.

You may have read that but that's an exaggeration based on one comment that Riley said. The quote was something like "We could run a 3-4 which is maybe something we'd like to get back to." That's not nearly the same as saying that's what they really want to run. Especially with Riley talking.

We might not have a lot of linebackers but we have almost nothing for DEs. If they wanted to run a 3-4, this would have been a handy year to do it.

I'm guessing this was about the same time that we convinced ourselves that Riley was going to hire Ed Orgeron and an all-star coaching staff?

What he does well is give us clues about our weaknesses to the media. Not fast enough, not athletic enough, not nasty enough. I would argue that (team) speed can be coached along with nastiness. We've got to stop wearing shorts to practice and start popping pads. Make practice unbearable to the point that they can't stand each other on both sides of the ball.

I didn't say that.

That's probably what I am remembering, kinda had the gist of it, but still off. :)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2013-01-07

They finished T 25th in scoring defense (which is what I'm guessing you mean) in 2012/2013 Season

Oregon State finished in the top 35 a couple times as well.

• Fire 1

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2013-01-07

They finished T 25th in scoring defense (which is what I'm guessing you mean) in 2012/2013 Season

That's not terrible considering its Oregon St.

that's better than I thought it would be, thanks for taking the time to look that up.

This wasn't on Banker, NU is still trying to replenish a shelf left bare by the Pelini debacle and sifting out the old stuff. Defensive coaching can't make players faster or more talented. The DB's played soft because they couldn't match the speed of Vol receivers, and Gerry's total team abandonment hurt NU very badly. The remaining NU players did what they could given lack of depth and experience. Good players make coaches look good. We are still a ways from having a full, talented bench. This won't happen overnight.

• Fire 1

This wasn't on Banker, NU is still trying to replenish a shelf left bare by the Pelini debacle and sifting out the old stuff. Defensive coaching can't make players faster or more talented. The DB's played soft because they couldn't match the speed of Vol receivers, and Gerry's total team abandonment hurt NU very badly. The remaining NU players did what they could given lack of depth and experience. Good players make coaches look good. We are still a ways from having a full, talented bench. This won't happen overnight.

The new staff has been aware of the talent level, or allegedly lack thereof, since taking the job two years ago.

Check out Clemson's two deep on the defensive line.

• Fire 1

The new staff has been aware of the talent level, or allegedly lack thereof, since taking the job two years ago.

Check out Clemson's two deep on the defensive line.

How many scholarships do you think we can hand out each year?

Fixing the depth issues WILL take time because of scholarship limitations. And you can't just go out and recruit nothing but linemen one year to "fix" the problem because not only will you end up in the same position 4 years down the road when that group graduates but you also are robbing other positions of bodies so those positions begin suffering from depth issues as well.

The best way to fix this imo, is by hiring more ace recruiters. We'll have to endure some pain but life is like a bed of roses, some beauty and pain.