What does Banker do well?

So I read the post from the OSU grad that stated OSU wanted banker out as DC back then, and here we are sharing the same sentiment. Could Riley let him go, though?? He didn't at OSU. And at what would be the breaking point for that to happen?

Yes, I remember reading OSU forums at the time of the Riley hire praying Banker would go with him. They got their wish and now we are stuck with a middle of the road DC.

So I read the post from the OSU grad that stated OSU wanted banker out as DC back then, and here we are sharing the same sentiment. Could Riley let him go, though?? He didn't at OSU. And at what would be the breaking point for that to happen?

as long as Eichorst is here, Riley and his boys will be protected.

as long as Eichorst is here, Riley and his boys will be protected.

Banker could very easily find himself coaching a Sun Belt team like Carl did.

I would say not getting you name mentioned on TV as Nebraskas defensive coordinator as we are loosing 62-3. He has a tremendous talent for remaining totally anonymous and unknown to everyone. Wait does that count as good? Well it's what he does, so yes, he must do it well.

Let's put it this way. If Riley doesn't want an early retirement from Nebraska Banker will be let go.

If it doesn't happen immediately after this recruiting cycle, then Riley and Banker will sink or swim together through the entirety of their tenure here together. This next year is very crucial to Riley's continued employment here...and likely Eichorst's as well.

Interesting that Dabo made a DC change after they got destroyed by WVU in the Orange Bowl a few years ago. He fires Kevin Steele and got Venables. Nebraska hasn't had a high profile DC like that in forever. If the defense has lapses like this last season next year that should be the first move.

Been saying this for awhile now:

5.53: Yards per play allowed this season by Mark Banker’s defense. That’s the second-worst mark of the Big Ten era for the Huskers, ahead of only the 2015 defense, which allowed 5.88 yards per play. This season, NU played four offenses — Oregon, Ohio State, Tennessee and Wyoming — ranked in the nation’s top 50 in yards per game. In those four games, NU gave up an average of 478.25 yards per game, 6.48 yards per play and, when you subtract OSU’s two defensive touchdowns, 33.75 points per game. NU’s defense improved this year, but not as much as the offenses NU faced got worse. The Huskers faced the Nos. 80, 88, 94, 107, 120, 121 and 123 offenses in the nation.

OWH

We've somehow become a worse blitzing team than under Bo. That's unfathomable.

thats-unpossible_zps2sw3n1fv.png

I take solace knowing Riley has been unafraid to make staff changes during his time here, but Banker would be much different. I imagine Riley wouldn't want to fire him but would highly encourage him to seek a job somewhere else, if it happened.

I don't know if it's quite time to throw in the towel on him yet but I do think he's closer to job insecurity than security. The overall performances have been unacceptable and there's better talent here than what's being shown on the field.

Riley has the same problem as Callahan, he can't turn his life long buddy loose....and he really doesn't care as he is close to retirement with a fat contract.......we hired a .500 coach, no spark, no evidence of great coaching/recruiting experience, what else would you expect?

We will muddle along for the next few years.....yawn.