OWH: Riley Faces Difficult Choices with Husker Offense

Mavric

Riley has to choose whether to stay the full course with his system — huddling up, shuttling personnel groups into the game that defenses can match, recruiting wideouts like NU’s on a shopping spree without spending much time on running backs, hard-to-execute and slow-developing screen passes — or consider, late in his career, at the job with all the resources and support he ever wanted, doing something different. Perhaps a lot different. Perhaps a little. Perhaps a little Wildcat to break up the monotony of the run game. Perhaps some real tempo to get defenses on their heels more.

To keep this offense status quo puts a ton of pressure in three places:

» Recruiting some superstars in the last month of the 2017 cycle, who then have to be solid contributors from the start.

» Offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh, who will have four returning starters, four redshirt freshmen who can play, three more sophomores who want to play, and yet a philosophy that suggests only five of them — for the sake of chemistry — should play significant snaps unless one gets hurt.

» Junior quarterback Tanner Lee, who is clearly the favorite to run the team in 2017.

OWH

Plus one other interesting observation:

Nebraska averaged 323.5 yards and 20 points per game after the bye week. That’s a warning sign.

Big Ten defenses have already begun to go to school on Riley’s scheme. You give these coordinators another offseason — and you take away the quarterback run element — and you’re putting a lot on top-shelf execution unless there are a few more wrinkles.

• Fire 2

I hope the O coaches get creative over the off season. Maybe it will help getting a pocket passer QB I don't know. :dunno

That still doesn't excuse how they utilized Tommy the last two years. I just don't understand why we didn't see more sprint out and bootleg passes to get Tommy on the run and take away half the field. It's not like they are foreign to a Pro/West Coast offense.

I hope the O coaches get creative over the off season. Maybe it will help getting a pocket passer QB I don't know. :dunno

That still doesn't excuse how they utilized Tommy the last two years. I just don't understand why we didn't see more sprint out and bootleg passes to get Tommy on the run and take away half the field. It's not like they are foreign to a Pro/West Coast offense.

They didn't want to get Tommy hurt. After all, look what happened when Tommy got hurt.

• Fire 1

Nebraska averaged 323.5 yards and 20 points per game after the bye week. That’s a warning sign.

Big Ten defenses have already begun to go to school on Riley’s scheme. You give these coordinators another offseason — and you take away the quarterback run element — and you’re putting a lot on top-shelf execution unless there are a few more wrinkles.

What they are conveniently missing here is that TA will (hopefully) be replaced by a QB that is more coachable and can hit wide open WR's or throw WR's open with his accuracy.

• Fire 1

My biggest problem with Pelini was never his temper but that he was to stubborn to change what wasn't working. Riley seems to be by far the better representative image wise for the program but if he is to stubborn to change then he will have the same problems on the field Pelini did. Also Banker's defense so far has been a f'ing joke.

What they are conveniently missing here is that TA will (hopefully) be replaced by a QB that is more coachable and can hit wide open WR's or throw WR's open with his accuracy.

And with one that will never run for positive yards in a game.

That was a great article. Implicit in it was Mckweon belief that staffing changes may be needed.

I like Tavita a lot but if we get another coaching spot hopefully that'll go to someone that can be a co-offensive coordinator (e.g. Kevin Wilson). Someone that can give insight and strategy, not someone who will just support the status quo.

I agree with the article. Many things have to change in the offseason. The Mike Riley run game needs more creativity. The O-Line is mediocre at best. Like the article said, staying status-quo could make next season make or break for Riley.

They seem hell-bent on throwing the football. If you plan on throwing it a lot in the Big Ten, you better have an elite defense. NU does not have a defense even remotely close to elite.

That was a great article. Implicit in it was Mckweon belief that staffing changes may be needed.

I like Tavita a lot but if we get another coaching spot hopefully that'll go to someone that can be a co-offensive coordinator (e.g. Kevin Wilson). Someone that can give insight and strategy, not someone who will just support the status quo.

Cav would be gone IMO......His stubbornness in substituting no one hurts recruiting, depth and development IMO. He has shown nothing the past two years.......

Langs called some good games (the first 5-6) and then against athletic defenses he struggled. He really needs to get creative.

I can't stand a pocket passer.

We need to recruit better. Unsure if 25-30 every year will work.

I hope Williams can really help the D.

Great article. Says what a lot of folks on this board have been saying.

I really think next year is make or break for Riley.

Deju vu all over again.

Do people forget that TM completed like 63% of his passes...Yet NU still couldn't win the conference. What magical freaking # do the PP lovers want? I mean, you are not getting much higher than 70%...

I think 60% is the most realistic completion % for a college QB. There are some offenses that will inflate the completion % into the upper 60%, but 70% would be a near record.

I do think it's foolish to think that a QB with greater completion % is the only thing holding back the offense.