The Republican Utopia

11 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I've said this so many times. Put center left/centrists and libertarians/center right into a 3rd party and we could run this show!

I mean... You have a centrist in the executive office right now. You had one 7 years ago too..

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

17 hours ago, funhusker said:

I just think they know it works and it’s because most of the GOP base are the “true believers”.  Our govt is representative of the citizens.  Politicians only suck because the people in our communities do.  There is a large amount of hatred and stupidity in our nation.

Well said.

13 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I've said this so many times. Put center left/centrists and libertarians/center right into a 3rd party and we could run this show!

We have a center left President. He won the Democrat primary by running to the right of most of the other Democrat nominees. 

Granted, as President he has governed solidly liberal on many issues but does hold positions to the Right of his party on issues like immigration.

Unfortunately, people in the political center are the least likely to vote. So third party candidates that try to capture the center inevitably lose.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Well said.

We have a center left President. He won the Democrat primary by running to the right of most of the other Democrat nominees. 

Granted, as President he has governed solidly liberal on many issues but does hold positions to the Right of his party on issues like immigration.

Unfortunately, people in the political center are the least likely to vote. So third party candidates that try to capture the center inevitably lose.

If the ends are extreme, like now, the middle could be the difference maker.

21 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

If the ends are extreme, like now, the middle could be the difference maker.

Which is how Biden won against an opponent with an incumbency advantage and a large Electoral College bias that favors Republican candidates. 

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1743686568827601219?s=19

Meanwhile, Republicans are nominating and trying to rationalize why they're voting for this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree. And I ask the following with complete sincerity.

What is it that makes them all cowards? What could he possibly have to hold over a large percentage of Rs in Congress? 

It cannot just be crookedness...80% of our entire Congress are probably crooks in some fashion. What are they all afraid of.

If you remember three years ago today, Republican leadership and even Fox News stood up and said "that's enough."  They considered the insurrection a huge embarrassment for Trump, and the "stolen election" narrative a disastrous path for the party. The party brass and major donors had long wanted to be free of Trump, and January 6 gave them the cover. They declared unambiguously that Biden's election was legitimate and it was time to move on from Donald Trump.

Then their offices got inundated and directly threatened by Trump supporters. They got primaried by even farther right candidates. Fringe political players found they could become stars on the conservative circuits by displaying unquestioned loyalty to Trump and ginning up the stolen election conspiracies. The polls suggested that Trump had not gone too far at all: his base — the base every Republican would need, to stay in office — had held firm. 

And then all those Republicans who had stood up to Donald Trump began falling like dominos, denying they ever said anything bad. The only ones who still have the "courage" to criticize him have left office, voluntarily or not. 

Also, Trump has threatened everyone who ever crossed him and has already stated his plans to use another round of the Presidency to exact his revenge. That's what they're afraid of. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

I mean... You have a centrist in the executive office right now. You had one 7 years ago too..

It's true. Obama spent far more time proving his moderation to Republicans than he did advancing anything remotely progressive, including health care, where he basically dusted off a Republican-approved plan and attached his name. Biden was famous for working across the aisle and was largely lauded by leading Republicans, and got the nomination because his safe and familiar centrism was the antidote to Bernie Sanders. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's true. Obama spent far more time proving his moderation to Republicans than he did advancing anything remotely progressive, including health care, where he basically dusted off a Republican-approved plan and attached his name. Biden was famous for working across the aisle and was largely lauded by leading Republicans, and got the nomination because his safe and familiar centrism was the antidote to Bernie Sanders. 

What happened to Sanders?  Is he just done?

• Oh Yeah! 1