The Republican Utopia

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Might have missed Carefully worded General Election piece.   He was top second choice candidate after someone’s primary choice just prior to Iowa.   Not my opinion just fact.  If Trump were not a candidate DeSantis would have run away with the primary.   

"Prior to Iowa" was a magical time when anything could happen. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree.   DeSantis would have dominated this general election 

I mean we know you like the guy but he wasn’t going to dominate crap. He struggled just hanging in the primary field as long as he did. No. He didn’t and wouldn’t dominate anything. And this is coming from someone who would’ve rather seen Desantis in the general just so Trump would slither off into his hole.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I mean we know you like the guy but he wasn’t going to dominate crap. He struggled just hanging in the primary field as long as he did. No. He didn’t and wouldn’t dominate anything. And this is coming from someone who would’ve rather seen Desantis in the general just so Trump would slither off into his hole.

Yes he actually would have dominated the Republican primary based on polling data if Trump were not a candidate.  

He is also a MUCH better primary candidate than Trump.  If Trump ends up anywhere near Biden this election, DeSantis would have been President if not for Trump.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s a shame you soak up Republican talking points so amazingly well. 

It’s not a talking point.   He’ll just listen to Biden’s pressers when he literally is saying “I’m not supposed to do this or I’m supposed to do this or I know I’ll get in trouble for this”.   He’s basically a figure head with mental capacity issues.   

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes he actually would have dominated the Republican primary based on polling data if Trump were not a candidate.  

He is also a MUCH better primary candidate than Trump.  If Trump ends up anywhere near Biden this election, DeSantis would have been President if not for Trump.  

Well I was responding to what you said in this post. 

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree.   DeSantis would have dominated this general election 

Considering he didn’t even make it out of the primary and Trump is not “dominating” the general, this appears to be more of a fantasy than anything. You just happen to have a much higher opinion of Desantis than the general electorate had or has. Sure he probably would’ve picked up some never Trump R votes so he may have done better in the general because of the locked in R only votes but he wasn’t going to he nabbing anymore independents and he wasn’t going to steal any Biden votes. But we’ll never know because the “if” didn’t happen.

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

"Prior to Iowa" was a magical time when anything could happen. 

Who can forget Republican nominees Scott Walker, Newt Gingrich and JEB!?

At one point all these dudes had a string of strong polling positioning them as tentative frontrunners prior to Iowa.

Archy definitely likes DeSantis more than most. I can understand why conservatives think he's an effective executive with conservative bonafides. But the same held true for Walker, in particular. And yet he fell on his face. I'm not sure folks who are fans understand how widely reviled these types  are outside their own bubble.

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It's always fun to speculate, but it's always a we'll never know scenario. Kamala Harris looked like the horse to back in 2020 before people actually started voting. Some pollsters claim Bernie Sanders would have beaten Trump in the 2016 general, but Bernie had a far stronger primary showing than DeSantis did. How would a Gavin Newsom v Haley/DeSantis general election play out? No idea, but it would have been interesting. You could say Newsom or Gretchen Whitmer would have been President if not for Biden, and that's as true as it is pointless.

The Republicans in 2024 may be somewhat like the Dems in 2016: are you going to lose a substantial number of voters who simply don't like the candidate? Had you dumped Hillary or now Trump, would you bring in enough new voters to replace the loyalists who would feel betrayed?

Obama won handily in 2008, but it was reported that 20% of Hillary Clinton primary voters voted for John McCain rather than Barack Obama, apparently considering Obama more of a backstabbing rival than McCain/Palin. The only scenario you're talking about is if Donald Trump wasn't running at all, at which point the candidates are fighting for his endorsement rather than distancing themselves from him. Trump hated his GOP rivals about equally. Again, hard to tell.

• Plus1 1