The Republican Utopia

I was agreeing with your agreeing. It's a weird story to bury.

I've only recently been looking at their page, to see why some people around here cannot seem to grasp what's happening in this country. I get it. Right now their lead story is about Nunes' comments about "incidental chatter." The implication is that this vindicates Trump's absurd allegation that Obama wiretapped him. It's crazy-time stuff, man.

I've only recently been looking at their page, to see why some people around here cannot seem to grasp what's happening in this country. I get it. Right now their lead story is about Nunes' comments about "incidental chatter." The implication is that this vindicates Trump's absurd allegation that Obama wiretapped him. It's crazy-time stuff, man.

Yeah....I kind of did the same thing the other day. I turned Fox News on at work to see if they were reporting something big that was happening. It was like watching a network that had no clue what was going on in the world.

The Nunes/wiretap stuff makes you wonder what they offered him to make his completely vague comment today. The way Trump responded saying he felt "kind of" vindicated makes it seem like he was not at all surprised by the "revelation."

Well, given we already know the White House has reached out to both Nunes and Burr, both heading investigations in their respective chambers, to do their bidding... would anyone be shocked?

Nunes simply carries Trump's jock at this point.

Yeah....I kind of did the same thing the other day. I turned Fox News on at work to see if they were reporting something big that was happening. It was like watching a network that had no clue what was going on in the world.

Now look around you in everyday life and try to determine how many folks wandering around that you interact with on a daily basis rely on it as their sole source of news.

It's not surprising in the least we can't even agree on a common reality anymore as a society.

Now look around you in everyday life and try to determine how many folks wandering around that you interact with on a daily basis rely on it as their sole source of news.

It's not surprising in the least we can't even agree on a common reality anymore as a society.

I live in central Nebraska. That's the majority of people I know.

I live in central Nebraska. That's the majority of people I know.
I live in Michigan, shockingly a ton of people I know.

It's nearly verbatim what people say right here on huskerboard. You can basically take any post you see talking about "liberals" or "Dems" and find the exact sentiment in that post on Fox or one of the alt sites.

Either that person consumes it personally or they interact with people who do. And when you present facts in the face of those talking points, they get pissed off and go on some personal rant. If I had a dime for every time that's happened...

• Fire 1

Either that person consumes it personally or they interact with people who do. And when you present facts in the face of those talking points, they get pissed off and go on some personal rant. If I had a dime for every time that's happened...

In studying (albeit at a very pop, 101 level) neuroscience, I've learned that what's happening when people get into these kinds of arguments is that your amygdala gets activated, which controls the fight or flight instinct and ends up hoarding a lot of blood and oxygen that would otherwise be available for the pre-frontal cortex aka the part of the brain that is able to process things rationally. So really, as soon as someone perceives you to be hostile in an argument or debate, they're literally incapable of thinking rationally on the subject.

It's nearly verbatim what people say right here on huskerboard. You can basically take any post you see talking about "liberals" or "Dems" and find the exact sentiment in that post on Fox or one of the alt sites.

...you'd basically be a welfare queen with no incentive to work.

In studying (albeit at a very pop, 101 level) neuroscience, I've learned that what's happening when people get into these kinds of arguments is that your amygdala gets activated, which controls the fight or flight instinct and ends up hoarding a lot of blood and oxygen that would otherwise be available for the pre-frontal cortex aka the part of the brain that is able to process things rationally. So really, as soon as someone perceives you to be hostile in an argument or debate, they're literally incapable of thinking rationally on the subject.

In addition, the amygdala is part of your limbic system, which is the chief control center for emotional processing, so it makes sense that emotion gets laced into political discussion more often than rational arguments.

Truth be told when I'm wrong I hate to admit it in person. I usually crack a joke to make myself look like a bumpkin, and get some laughs. Subconsciously people know I'm wrong, but I hate admitting it. Owning up to being wrong is easy when it's about my job or anything else, but beliefs and politics are hard to admit being wrong about...

Truth be told when I'm wrong I hate to admit it in person. I usually crack a joke to make myself look like a bumpkin, and get some laughs. Subconsciously people know I'm wrong, but I hate admitting it. Owning up to being wrong is easy when it's about my job or anything else, but beliefs and politics are hard to admit being wrong about...

That's totally understandable, though. The more people are honest about this, the easier it is. At the end of the day, all it comes down to is a perceived threat to your standing and security within the tribe, being a social primate looking for safety.