The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

From the above thread

"Overall the text isn’t as clownish as that one sentence might suggest. But there still major problems. They tend to be ones of emphasis and omission rather than outright fabrication. I’ll focus on three points.

First that line about developing skills isn’t on its own. There’s definitely a focus on discussing the variety of work and trades slaves did. And it’s true. Slaves were engaged in a lot of skilled trades, especially in urban areas. And that may surprise some people. But the overall picture certainly seems geared to deemphasize the backbreaking agricultural labor which was the lot of the vast majority of slaves during the 200 plus years of slavery.

Then next two are more significant. A significant part of the curriculum is focused on talking about all the other societies that practiced slavery and other places where slavery was arguably worse. So for instance we learn that Europeans found slavery already in existence in Africa. There is a major part of the curriculum focused on how slavery was arguably worse in the Caribbean islands and in parts of Latin America. These are not false claims in the broadest sense. I’ll note one example. The slave populations in the Caribbean sugar islands were never able to sustain themselves. They required constant importation of new  slaves because mortality was so high. This was true for many reasons, especially the brutal and deadly nature of sugar production. But the upshot of this whole part of the curriculum is definitely to soften the image of North American slavery. Everybody had slavery, the argument goes, and slaves in North America had it better than slaves in other places. To put it in contemporary terms there’s a lot of whataboutism and blame shifting.

Finally, the third point is when we get to reconstruction and the return of what was called  “home rule” in the South, which we’d call the Jim Crow system. Or rather we never quite get to them. If you do word searches you’ll find some of the words. But this whole part of the story is pretty radically DE-emphasized. The curriculum notes the first ‘Civil Rights Era" and then the second Civil Rights Era. But if you’re new to the topic you might be scratching your head wondering why the second one was necessary. Needless to say this is a pretty big part of the story, the violent reimposition of white rule in the South and how it was sustained by a system of discriminatory laws and organized violence for between 70 and 90 years depending on one’s definitions and precisely which parts of the country you’re talking about.

Again, these topics aren’t totally ignored. The curriculum’s defenders will be able to pull out quotes referencing them to try to refute what I’m saying. But read the curriculum yourself and I don’t think any fair minded reader would be able to dispute these points. These are by no means the only problems with this curriculum. They are just the ones that jumped out to me on my reading. They struck me as the most foundational."

Thank you. 

That's the one I read and couldn't find again.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thank you. 

That's the one I read and couldn't find again.

It seems your view on this is being affected by a person who writes for the far left blog Talkingpointsmemo?  Forgive me for not taking his word and view on the subject matter when he has a vested interest in trying to make things sound as bad as possible to further his sides political interests.  

Would you take the same view from an article by some far right blog on a different subject?  Based on your posting history I would think not. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do they cover Black Wall Street and The Tulsa Massacre? 

Taken from my post the previous page.  See towards the end for some examples. 

The proposed standards also included identifying African Americans who demonstrated “heroism and patriotism” and those who made “positive contributions” in Florida.

Some examples of those who have demonstrated heroism and patriotism according to the standards included Booker T. Washington, Jesse Owens, Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, President Barack Obama, 1st Lt. Vernon Baker, Sgt. 1st Class, and Melvin Morris.

The standards also noted African American who were pioneers in their field, which included former President Barack Obama, Vice President Kamala Harris, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, Justice Clarence Thomas, Representative Shirley Chisholm, Arthur Ashe, and Ronald McNair.

Instruction includes the ramifications of prejudice, racism and stereotyping on individual freedoms (ex. the Civil Rights Cases, Black Codes, Jim Crow Laws, lynchings, Columbian Exposition of 1893).

Other instruction includes acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans but is not limited to 1906 Atlanta Race Riot, 1919 Washington, D.C. Race Riot, 1920 Ocoee Massacre, 1921 Tulsa Massacre and the 1923 Rosewood Massacre.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Taken from my post the previous page.  See towards the end for some examples. 

The proposed standards also included identifying African Americans who demonstrated “heroism and patriotism” and those who made “positive contributions” in Florida.

Some examples of those who have demonstrated heroism and patriotism according to the standards included Booker T. Washington, Jesse Owens, Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, President Barack Obama, 1st Lt. Vernon Baker, Sgt. 1st Class, and Melvin Morris.

The standards also noted African American who were pioneers in their field, which included former President Barack Obama, Vice President Kamala Harris, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, Justice Clarence Thomas, Representative Shirley Chisholm, Arthur Ashe, and Ronald McNair.

Instruction includes the ramifications of prejudice, racism and stereotyping on individual freedoms (ex. the Civil Rights Cases, Black Codes, Jim Crow Laws, lynchings, Columbian Exposition of 1893).

Other instruction includes acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans but is not limited to 1906 Atlanta Race Riot, 1919 Washington, D.C. Race Riot, 1920 Ocoee Massacre, 1921 Tulsa Massacre and the 1923 Rosewood Massacre.

Looks good to me!

But how do the school districts that have already banned books about colored heroes feel about it? 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why? If Duval County refuses to celebrate Hank Aaron, they're likely to skip over the Barack Obama part of the curriculum.  

On a serious note, is a random county supposed to celebrate the Home Run King?  I don’t think my county does.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

On a serious note, is a random county supposed to celebrate the Home Run King?  I don’t think my county does.  

I'm talking about book bannings, not street parades, Johnny Serious. 

Duval County got a lot of national grief when it did indeed remove books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente overcoming racism. 

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/duval-county-has-removed-book-about-hank-aaron-from-schools

I'm picking on Duval, perhaps the worst of the counties, but other school districts are nearly as bad. So what's the motive for them to follow the curriculum when they are calling their own shots anyway, encouraged by the state party and politicians to be as anti-woke as humanly possible?

These are the 176 books banned in Duval County:

• At the Mountain’s Base, by Traci Sorell and Weshoyot Alvitre
  • Before She Was Harriet, by Lesa Cline-Ransome and James E. Ransome
  • Chik Chak Shabbat, by Mara Rockliff and Kyrsten Brooker
  • Cow on the Town: Practicing the Ow Sound, by Isabella Garcia                               
  • Dreamers, by Yuyi Morales                       
  • Dumpling Soup, by Jama Kim Rattigan, and Lillian Hsu-Flanders   
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story, by Kevin Noble Maillard and Juana Martinez-Neal
  • The Gift of Ramadan, by Rabiah York Lumbard and Laura K. Horton
  • Grandfather Tang’s Story, by Ann Tompert and Robert Andrew Parker       
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby, by Minfong Ho and Holly Meade
  • Islandborn, by Junot Díaz and Leo Espinosa
  • Little Night/Nochecita, by Yuyi Morales                     
  • Looking for Bongo, by Eric Velásquez           

“When you ban a book like Sam! and a collection like Essential Voices, you are not just taking away books, you are silencing communities. – Dani Gabriel, author of Sam!

• Lost and Found Cat : The True Story of Kunkush’s Incredible Journey by Doug Kuntz, Amy Shrodes and Sue  Cornelison
  • Love to Mama: A Tribute To Mothers, by Pat Mora, Paula S. Barragán M.
  • Lubna and Pebble, by Wendy Meddour, Wendy and Daniel Egneus
  • My Two Dads and Me, by Michael Joosten and Izak Zenou     
  • My Two Moms and Me, by Michael Joosten and Izak Zenou       
  • Neither, by Airlie Anderson                                 
  • Never Say a Mean Word Again: A Tale from Medieval Spain, by Jacqueline Jules and Durga Yael Bernhard
  • Nya’s Long Walk: A Step at a Time, by Linda Sue Park and Brian Pinkney
  • On Mother’s Lap, by Ann Herbert  Scott and Glo Coalson   
  • One Green Apple, by Eve Bunting and Ted Lewin     
  • The Rough-Face Girl, by Rafe Martin and David Shannon         
  • Running the Road to ABC, by Denize Lauture                                 
  • Sulwe, by Lupita Nyong’o and Vashti Harrison       
  • Uncle Jed’s Barber Shop, by Margaree King Mitchell and James E. Ransome   
  • Yoko (Yoko Series), Rosemary Wells 
  • Zen Shorts (Zen Series), by Jon J. Muth       
  • 10,000 Dresses, by Rex Ray and Marcus Ewert         
  • 14 Cows for America, by Carmen Agra Deedy, Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah and Thomas Gonzalez
  • Abuela, by Arthur Dorros and Elisa Kleven   
  • All Around Us, by Xelena Gonzalez and Adriana M. Garcia
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name, by Juana Martinez-Neal                       
  • Amina’s Voice (Amina’s Voice Series), by Hena Kahn                   
  • And Still the Turtle Watched, by Sheila MacGill-Callahan and Barry Moser
  • Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio, by Tony Johnston and Raul Colon    
  • Ashes to Asheville, by Sarah Dooley                         
  • Barbed Wire Baseball: How One Man Brought Hope to the Japanese Internment Camps of WWII, by Marissa Moss and Yuko Marissa Shimizu
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Big Question (The Berenstain Bears Series) by Jan and Stan Berenstain  

“People can attempt to hide books like ‘I Am Jazz’ from children, but all these efforts do is punish the kids who need the information most.” – Jessica Herthel, author of I Am Jazz

• The Best Man, by Richard Peck                         
  • Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border, by Mitali Perkins and Sara Palacios
  • Big Red Lollipop, by Rukhsana Khan and Sophie Blackall          
  • Black Frontiers: A History of African American Heroes in the Old West, by Lillian Schlissel                               
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap, by Dianne Snyder and Allen Say       
  • The Bracelet, by Yoshiko Uchida and Joanna Yardley       
  • Brother Eagle, Sister Sky, by Chief Seattle and Susan Jeffers
  • Carter Reads the Newspaper, by Deborah Hopkinson and Don Tate      
  • A Case of Sense, by Songju Ma Daemicke and Shennen Bersani  
  • Celebrating Different Beliefs, by Steffi Cavell-Clarke                        
  • Celia Cruz, Queen of Salsa, by Veronica Chambers and Julie Maren
  • Climbing Lincoln’s Steps: The African American Journey, by Suzanne Slade and Colin Bootman         
  • The Color of My Words, by Lynn Joseph                        
  • Coolies, by Yin and Chris K. Soentpiet
  • Crazy Horse’s Vision, by Joseph Bruchac and S.D.Nelson
  • Dad, Jackie, and Me, by Myron Uhlberg and Colin Bootman     
  • Daddy, Papa, and Me, Lesléa Newman and Carol Thompson       
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II Series), by Kirby Larson                          
  • The Day of Ahmed’s Secret, by Florence Parry Heide, Judith Heide Gilliland, and Ted Lewin      
  • Day of the Dead, by Tony Johnston and Jeanette Winter        
  • A Day’s Work, by Eve  Bunting and Ronald Himler           
  • Dear Juno, by Soyung Pak and Susan Kathleen Hartung 
  • Dim Sum for Everyone! by Grace Lin                     
  • A Dog Named Haku: A Holiday Story from Nepal, by Margarita Engle, Amish Karanjit, Nicole Karanjit, and Ruth Jeyaveeran       
  • The Double Life of Pocahontas, by Jean Fritz                      
  • A Dream Come True: Coming to America from Vietnam-1975, by M. J. Cosson
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad, by F.N. Monjo and Fred Brenner
  • Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl’s Courage Changed Music, by Margarita Engle and Rafael López
  • Eagle Feather, by Clyde Robert Bulla and Tom Two Arrows      
  • Eagle Song, by Joseph Bruchac and Dan Andreasen         
  • Early Sunday Morning, by Denene Millner and Vanessa Brantley-Newton
  • Encounter, by Brittany Luby and Michaela Goade        
  • Extra Credit, by Andrew Clements, and Mark Elliott   
  • A Family Is a Family Is a Family, by Sara O’Leary and Qin Leng        
  • Fatty Legs: A True Story, by Christy Jordan-Fenton, Margaret Pokiak-Fenton and Liz Amini-Holmes     

“FREE PEOPLE DESERVE TO READ FREELY. (Period.)” – Naomi Shihab Nye, author of The Turtle of Oman

• Festival of Colors, by Surishtha Sehgal, Kabir Sehgal and Vashti Harrison         
  • The First Strawberries, by Joseph Bruchac and Anna Vojtech
  • The Flag of Childhood: Poems From the Middle East Nye, Naomi Shihab
  • Flying the Dragon, by Natalie Dias Lorenzi
  • Four Feet, Two Sandals, by Karen Lynn Williams, Khadra Mohammed and Doug Chayka
  • Gaby, Lost and Found, by Angela Cervantes                            
  • The Garden of My Imaan, by Farhana Zia                        
  • Going Down Home with Daddy, by Kelly Starling Lyons, and Daniel Minter
  • The Gold-Threaded Dress, by Carolyn Marsden             
  • Gracefully Grayson, by Ami Polonsky                      
  • Grandmama’s Pride, by Becky Birtha                   
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North, by Eloise Greenfield and Jan Spivey Gilchrist
  • Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog, by Pamela S. Turner and Yan Nascimbene       
  • A Handful of Stars, by Cynthia Lord                    
  • Henry Aaron’s Dream, by Matt Tavares                  
  • The Hero Two Doors Down: Based on the True Story of Friendship between a Boy and a Baseball Legend, by Sharon Robinson                           
  • Hiawatha and the Peacemaker, by Robbie Robertson, and David Shannon          
  • I am Jazz, by Jazz Jennings, Jessica Herthel and Shelagh McNicholas
  • I See the Sun in Afghanistan, by Dedie King, Judith Inglese and Mohd Vahidi
  • In Our Mothers’ House, by Patricia Polacco                             
  • Indian No More, by Charlene Willing McManis, and Traci Sorell              
  • It Ain’t So Awful, Falafel, by Firoozeh Dumas                            
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way, by Kyo Maclear and Julie Morstad
  • Ivy Aberdeen’s Letter to the World, by Ashley Herring Blake                        
  • Jasmine Toguchi, Flamingo Keeper (Jasmine Toguchi Series), by Debbi Michiko Florence, and Elizabet Vukovic 
  • Juana & Lucas (Juana and Lucas Series), by Juana Medina                   
  • Julián Is a Mermaid (Julián Series), by Jessica Love                      
  • Knots on a Counting Rope, by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault and Ted Rand       
  • Lailah’s Lunchbox: A Ramadan Story, by Reem Faruqi and Lea Lyon        
  • The Legend of the Bluebonnet (Legends Series), by Tomie dePaola
  • The Life of Rosa Parks (Famous Lives Series), by Kathleen Connors                        
  • A Little Piece of Ground, by Elizabeth Laird, Sonia Nimr and Bill Neal      
  • A Long Pitch Home, by Natalie Dias Lorenzi                      
  • Lost Boys, by Darcey Rosenblatt                  
  • Lucky Broken Girl, by Ruth Behar                       
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel (Dyamonde Daniel Series), by Nikki Grimes, and R. Gregory Christie   
  • Malala: A Hero for All (Step into Reading Series), by Shana Corey and Elizabeth Sayles        
  • Marisol McDonald Doesn’t Match (Marisol McDonald Series), by Monica Brown and Sara Palacios
  • Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968, by Alice Faye Duncan, R. Gregory Christie

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

So, some of you guys think that students go to the school library to check out books?

I have assigned more research papers on topics than anyone that posts here.  Nothing is "banned" you goofs.  They use their ipads and computers to look everything up.  

And "Library time" at the elementary level is computer time.  

Side note:  In the last 5 years alone, I can count on 1 finger how many books, in classes that I teach where I assign reading and papers, have been checked out.  

Nothing is banned at schools when you have tablets, except maybe Netflix.  And the kids just get a VPN.

I am 100% against banning anything when it comes to books or magazines...but it doesn't matter because no one checks them out at schools.  

What is next, are you going to b!^@h about the card catalog having a book in section 666?

I know it is nuanced, as usual. but come on.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
17 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It seems your view on this is being affected by a person who writes for the far left blog Talkingpointsmemo?  Forgive me for not taking his word and view on the subject matter when he has a vested interest in trying to make things sound as bad as possible to further his sides political interests.  

Would you take the same view from an article by some far right blog on a different subject?  Based on your posting history I would think not. 

Nope,

I had also read this.

And, I still believe it's being white washed to make it seem not quite so bad as slaves in the US.  Which, is BS thrown in to make it so the thin skinned governor not throw a tantrum and cancel it.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, teachercd said:

So, some of you guys think that students go to the school library to check out books?

I have assigned more research papers on topics than anyone that posts here.  Nothing is "banned" you goofs.  They use their ipads and computers to look everything up.  

And "Library time" at the elementary level is computer time.  

Side note:  In the last 5 years alone, I can count on 1 finger how many books, in classes that I teach where I assign reading and papers, have been checked out.  

Nothing is banned at schools when you have tablets, except maybe Netflix.  And the kids just get a VPN.

I am 100% against banning anything when it comes to books or magazines...but it doesn't matter because no one checks them out at schools.  

What is next, are you going to b!^@h about the card catalog having a book in section 666?

I know it is nuanced, as usual. but come on.

At this point it may be largely symbolic, but we are also seeing individual teachers being reprimanded and fired for the subject matter discussed in class. Library books and curricula are just the places it gets codified for public discussion. 

Appreciate you acknowledging nuance, Teach.  Although the intent of the people seeking change to books and lesson plans is the least nuanced part of this. It's culture war s#!t. 

Obviously kids can get whatever they want online, but curating info has always been the educator's job. 

What subject do you teach anyway? 

• Plus1 1