Immigration Ban

F'n hell. Pretty sure I read an article on this guy post-November/Jan prior to his deportation. Horrifying to see this unfold. So avoidable.

What did anyone gain by this?

I'd be willing to hear out someone who wanted tougher immigration laws if they stated a reasonable case.

Trump has not done that. He's simply said he has to do it to keep us safe with no explanation how it does so. I have a hard time accepting what he, Bannon, Steve King etc. have to say about immigration because they just take a hardline policy stance and apply it in a blanket fashion. It's simply an empty appeal to the xenophobic and racist portions of their base, IMO.

• Fire 1

I'm doing something at my job where I compare a bunch of industries, and ethnicity is just one of many variables. Doctors are more likely than any of the other jobs I'm looking at to have Middle Easterners, and the least likely to be Caucasian. (That doesn't mean there are low numbers of Caucasians - just when compared to others, it's lower).

The other thing which I believe I sort of brought up earlier in this thread is in order for illegal immigrants to get jobs, someone has to hire them. Republicans are ignoring that part because they want to be seen as the pro free market/business/anti-regulation party.

And while I'm throwing stuff out there, about half the students I had classes with when getting my M.S. degree were either African, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Malaysian, Indonesian. But when Americans do go for M.S. degrees, in my experience they are the ones who get the teaching assistantships. These people coming here really want to be here, and I don't think they're taking Americans' places.

• Fire 1

Here's a debunking of the relationship between immigration and crime:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/fact-check-immigration-doesnt-bring-crime-u-s-data-say/

Research has shown virtually no support for the enduring assumption that increases in immigration are associated with increases in crime.

...the literature demonstrates that immigrants commit fewer crimes, on average, than native-born Americans.

...immigration reduces levels of crime by revitalizing urban neighborhoods, creating vibrant communities and generating economic growth.

• Fire 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember that bill to curb LEGAL immigration that Stephen Miller so proudly defended from the podium recently, touting white nationalist propaganda about the Statue of Liberty and going after Jim Acosta in the process?

Trump's alma mater offers analysis of that bill.

Would reduce GDP by .7% over the next decade and by 2% by 2040. Would also reduce jobs by 1.3M over the next decade and 4.6M by 2040.

With those numbers,, what is the point of this bill, other than to make the rah-rah anti-immigrant crowd good feels?

• Fire 1