The Environment

This reminded me of one of my favorite moments from his campaign, not many folks talk about this for some reason.  Anyway, I just watched it again.  The comments are dumb but man, there's not a doubt in my mind that he has mentally deteriorated in the last 2 years.  Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/climate/trump-florida-offshore-drilling.html

The Trump administration said Tuesday it had ruled out drilling for oil and gas off the coast of Florida after strong opposition from the state’s Republican governor, Rick Scott.

[...]

“I support the governor’s position that Florida is unique and its coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver,” Mr. Zinke said in a statement after meeting Governor Scott in Florida. “I am removing Florida from consideration for any new oil and gas platforms.”

[...]

A tweet from California's Attorney General, Xavier Becerra:

California is also "unique" & our "coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver." Our “local and state voice” is firmly opposed to any and all offshore drilling.

If that's your standard, we, too, should be removed from your list. Immediately. https://twitter.com/SecretaryZinke/status/950876846698180608 …

:blink: Gee, who knew there would be any push-back on such a sound policy decision....

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/climate/trump-florida-offshore-drilling.html

The Trump administration said Tuesday it had ruled out drilling for oil and gas off the coast of Florida after strong opposition from the state’s Republican governor, Rick Scott.

[...]

“I support the governor’s position that Florida is unique and its coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver,” Mr. Zinke said in a statement after meeting Governor Scott in Florida. “I am removing Florida from consideration for any new oil and gas platforms.”

[...]

A tweet from California's Attorney General, Xavier Becerra:

:blink: Gee, who knew there would be any push-back on such a sound policy decision....

It's almost as if California doesn't have a big Trump supporter running for U.S. Senate.

Cronyism & corruption are enduring hallmarks of Trump's presidency.

• Plus1 1

I can see both sides of the offshore drilling discussion.

1. On some level, we can't have a healthy economy without industry.  Industry can be messy and ugly.  So there is a little hypocrisy in the NIMBY arguments.  Its like landfills.  Nobody wants to live near a landfill.  And yet we keep throwing things away, hoping they "disappear".  Or Hog confinements.  They wouldn't exist without a demand for meat.  But nobody wants one built near them.

2. On the other hand, Hog confinements don't have to be cruel places that you have to wear a respirator to enter, the animals routinely cannibalize each other, and efficiency trumps any consideration for the animal's well-being.  Hog confinements don't have to have manure containment that fails, and dumps concentrated waste into streams.

It's OK to hold industries to high emissions and pollution standards.  It's OK to hold industries to minimum worker safety standards.  Yes, it will affect profit margins and competitiveness.  Yes, owners will still make plenty of money, without infringing on American citizens' rights to life, liberty and not getting cancer from their food, air and water.

The powerful special interests that want more and more deregulation are not the non-union factory workers, afraid of losing jobs.  They are the ones that profit the most from big industry.

• Plus1 2

Here's the last paragraph of the article I linked about offshore drilling:

"The move to open America’s coastal waters to drilling is the latest in a series of efforts to reverse restrictions on energy production. The Interior Department has also repealed offshore drilling safety regulations that were put in place after the Deepwater Horizon disaster."

seems legit.

22 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

2. On the other hand, Hog confinements don't have to be cruel places that you have to wear a respirator to enter, the animals routinely cannibalize each other, 

Just to be clear....I'm hoping you over exaggerated this to make a point and realize hog confinements are not like that.