The Environment

41 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I can't possibly imagine how this turns out well in the end.

Former Obama WH Ethics Chief:

How in the holy hell does someone at the top of a major governmental agency have time to "do work on the side"?

I guess if they pay enough, he will find the time.

• Plus1 2

The time part is not unbelievable I guess — it’s the conflicts. How does the conservative, skeptical of government side want there to be so few limits on government oversight when they are in charge? Perhaps what they wanted all along was just a government that worked in full service to industry, free and unencumbered. 

Add to the absurdly long list of things to remember at the polls. It’s our country dang it, and we can do something about it.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Renewables, particularly PV, are becoming so low in cost that fossil fuels will be forced out of the market. The real barrier right now is energy storage, and companies like Tesla are already producing batteries that are economically competitive with current power production, especially when considering ramping costs.

I've posted this in one of these threads before, but here's Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis from Nov. 2017:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lazard.com%2Fmedia%2F450337%2Flazard-levelized-cost-of-energy-version-110.pdf

This is an in-depth analysis of different means of producing power that looks at unsubsidized renewables vs conventional power. The basic summary is that only gas combined cycle power plants ($42-$78/MWh) can compete with utility scale PV ($43-$53/MWh) and wind ($30-$60/MWh) when looking at direct power production, and PV costs are still falling. But the holy grail of renewables is with energy storage, which is now highly competitive at $82/MWh for PV, and both PV and battery costs are falling.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wasn’t Huma Abedin doing the same thing? Where was the liberal media outrage about that?

A quick google search tells me that the fake, failing New York Times, politico, and Washington Post all wrote an articles on it.

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

A quick google search tells me that the fake, failing New York Times, politico, and Washington Post all wrote an articles on it.

Did they freak out about it repeatedly or grudgingly cover it after Fox News shamed them into it?

Given the outrage about it here, can I assume Huma is in jail someplace? Just to protect us all from the horror and all... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

^ Hopefully the car companies are smart enough to realize this will be changed back when President Dumbf*** is gone.

Have these guys not seen what L.A. used to look like and what it looks like now?

It doesn't matter if climate change is real — pollution can cause cancer and lung problems.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

^ Hopefully the car companies are smart enough to realize this will be changed back when President Dumbf*** is gone.

Have these guys not seen what L.A. used to look like and what it looks like now?

It doesn't matter if climate change is real — pollution can cause cancer and lung problems.

Yeah, giant inefficient gas guzzlers are not the direction the industry is taking, I doubt this is something they've even lobbied for.  The future is definitely going to be electric, the performance is better, the fuel is way cheaper, and the maintenance is an order of magnitude less over hundreds of thousands of miles.  The only drawback at this point really seems to be the time you'd have to recharge on long trips.