Denying science in the classroom

What happens to Agnostics such as myself?

Hell. Nuff said.

I thought it was eternal nickelback concerts?

I thought we were all on the same page that they're one and the same.

Except that one song of theirs I like.

Every girl loves "one" nickelback song...

I like this song and have it on my phone and I don't care what anyone thinks.

I don't know about agnostics in general, but you're going to hell.

I assume you have connections that can confirm that so now I'm worried. Is it a done deal, or is it like Santa's list and I can do some charity work to prevent it?

Hell. Nuff said.

Curb and Silver Side Up are actually two pretty good albums.

The Long Road was 'meh' in my opinion and then things just started going downhill drastically from there.

/tangent

Hell. Nuff said.

Curb and Silver Side Up are actually two pretty good albums.

The Long Road was 'meh' in my opinion and then things just started going downhill drastically from there.

/tangent

Truth be told I like a lot of their old stuff. The knew songs I liked for their pop value, but they were just that, pop rock, and they have no value or staying power. But they can get the ladies going! /tangent

I just think religion needs to be tempered with what we know in our hearts to be good.

100% agree. I grew up a Lutheran, strayed away from the faith in high school/early college and recently started practicing again. There's a lot of evidence in this forum of just how far I strayed. I remember getting into a lot of back and forth arguments with some of the more heavily religious people here about why they believed what they believed. But, I digress.

The point I want to touch on (and agree with you on) is that religion shouldn't be the sole basis for doing good or doing bad. I believe our human morality dictates us to be good people and that we should do good, but not entirely because religion tells us to. I sometimes get the feeling that people wouldn't be good if their religion didn't tell them to be, and from my viewpoint, that's disappointing.

• Fire 1

I'm not even sure what to make of this.

P9rRSfO.png

I have been there. I HATED you, the Dude, Bennychico and Husker X. Because you asked uncomfortable questions that I couldnt answer and I never felt like I could win a debate with you because everything I would say, you guys would have an answer and little more. I dont think you are disrespecting God in this thread. Until we went off on a tangent, like some of the Christian posters and myself said, this is a really good conversation. I guess Nuance just cant handle others opinions. Not a good look for a mod imo.

The Dude really triggered me when he would say the flying spaghetti monster lol. He doesnt post much in this forum anymore but he used to a lot back in the day. And he used that saying at least once a day haha. Damn that made me mad.

• Fire 1

Husker_x got a lot of vitriol from me when I was Christian. I'd be embarrassed to go back and read some of the things I said to him in these religious discussions, but they're all back there, 40-50 pages back in this forum.

I apologized to him after I stopped believing and he was very gracious about it, told me he understood why I'd reacted the way I had, and basically gave me a free pass for all the things I'd said to him. It was a good but humbling talk.

I have been there. I HATED you, the Dude, Bennychico and Husker X. Because you asked uncomfortable questions that I couldnt answer and I never felt like I could win a debate with you because everything I would say, you guys would have an answer and little more. I dont think you are disrespecting God in this thread. Until we went off on a tangent, like some of the Christian posters and myself said, this is a really good conversation. I guess Nuance just cant handle others opinions. Not a good look for a mod imo.

The Dude really triggered me when he would say the flying spaghetti monster lol. He doesnt post much in this forum anymore but he used to a lot back in the day. And he used that saying at least once a day haha. Damn that made me mad.

I'm glad you love me <3

In NUance's defense (not that he needs my help) there can be a fine line between handling another's opinion and perceiving it as disrespect for God. In fact, there may be no line at all, just a difference in how the subject is being viewed. It stands to reason that a person who does not believe in God or who may feel God hasn't done the right things will naturally show some disrespect for him. It also makes sense that a person who believes and feels God is worthy of praise and honor would take many of the things said about God on these pages as being disrespectful of him because they are. It's not really a matter of not being able to handle another opinion, it's just a difference in approach to the subject.

I wouldn't say I have hated anybody I've had these religious arguments with. Sure they've gotten heated and pretty nasty at times but I think we all have try to look at these things from the other person's POV. I just figure that people that don't believe or who have lost their faith have some very valid reasons for it. I know it can be difficult to damn near impossible to maintain that belief. And I realize not everyone has had all the same experiences or back ground on the subject. NUance has shared numerous times his experiences with the Holy Spirit and some of the foundation for his belief. I too have had a couple experiences along those lines that makes my ability to maintain belief easier than others who have not had those same or similar experiences. So, in a nutshell, it just is what it is, believers vs non-believers, and that dynamic will always result in some level of confrontation and differing views on what constitutes respect.

Also, it has been my experience that atheists or non-believers will treat their viewpoint much more factually than I do mine. That doesn't mean I believe in my position any less, I just realize I cannot prove it. I think some atheists are convinced they have proven God doesn't exist so they treat the issue much more matter of factly. That's not to say some believers don't treat what they believe as fact because many do. I just realize there is a difference between what I believe is fact and what I can prove to others as fact.

BTW, whatever happened to bennychico? I think of everyone you mentioned he is probably the closest I've been to really disliking someone hereabouts and, as I recall, it was because of his lack of respect for my opinions and his assuredness in his position. Not sure if that would be the case anymore as I have mellowed some and if anybody really gets on my nerves I just place them on ignore. Life is too short to let somebody get under your skin like that. Although that may not have worked with benny because he was a mod and we all know you can't put them on the ignore list.

• Fire 2

I understand why you might feel that way, Redux. But if you're going to be honest, you have to acknowledge that Christians are also snotty and arrogant in their belief, and inherently belief in god is a belief that atheists are wrong.

The Evangelical Persecution Complex

I should have noted that obviously not ALL Athiests are like that just the same as ALL Christians are not like that. In fact it's the ones that take their belief to that extreme that make me chuckle because they are so much like eachother.

I understand why you might feel that way, Redux. But if you're going to be honest, you have to acknowledge that Christians are also snotty and arrogant in their belief, and inherently belief in god is a belief that atheists are wrong.

The Evangelical Persecution Complex

I have a particular relative who is adamant in the belief that there is, "A demonic war being waged against Christians in America..."

The article you've linked to is a perfect example of how skewed perceptions, and not taking the time to dig into a story, can confirm already existing biases and beliefs.

Another example, Kim Davis, the hypocritical, self-righteous, holier-than-thou county clerk in Kentucky who was sent to jail.

Mike Huckabee and other religious fanatics painted this as defacto "proof" that Christians were being persecuted because of their faith.

In reality, Kim Davis was sent to jail because she violated the law. But that didn't stop the religious right from lying about what happened and why.