RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We sure didn't take a bruiser last year.

Maybe they want to have both and since they took a smaller speed back last year, they want a bruiser this year.
A valid possibility. However, I don't see why it has to be mutually exclusive. Why can't we get a caliber of guy to do both? We did for years with Ameer, Burkhead, and Helu.

I dont mean to say you think we can't, directed more to a question of the staff's philosophy.

Ps: I think Tre Bryant can do both. Thanks Wilhite.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what type of back our staff is looking for to compliment their scheme.

It looks like they want a larger, powerful type back. I'm somewhat surprised at that. I would have thought they would want one that would be better in space with speed and agility catching the ball out of the backfield.

I mean I think perfect scenario would be us getting a back like Abdullah. Fast and shifty, but won't blow you away with speed but he's not easy to tackle. Also, he can cAtch the ball.

I wouldn't call Ameer a big bruising back and I wouldn't call Burkhead a fast agile back.

Ameer could run between the tackles with the best of them. Lower leg strength was off the charts.

Rex lacked top end speed but had plenty of quick/shifty on the outside.

Unless you are speaking purely from a measurables standpoint.

• Fire 3

I wouldn't call Ameer a big bruising back and I wouldn't call Burkhead a fast agile back.

Ameer could run between the tackles with the best of them. Lower leg strength was off the charts.

Agree with you completely Warrior. Ameer hit a hole harder than most backs I've ever seen. He was a cannon ball between the tackles.

And I still think people underrate Rex's athleticism because, ya know, hes white. Rex nearly always made the first man miss. In his draft class at the combine he was ranked as follows among ~35 RB's:

Vertical Jump, 2nd

Broad Jump, 2nd

3 Cone Drill, 4th

20 YD Shuttle, 2nd

60 YD Shuttle, 5th

That's a combine with Gio Bernard, CJ Anderson, Montee Ball, LeVeon Bell, Kenjon Barner, Knile Davis, Christine Michael, Theo Riddick, Andre Ellington, etc.

And that's my off-topic message for the month.

• Fire 3

Agree with you completely Warrior. Ameer hit a hole harder than most backs I've ever seen. He was a cannon ball between the tackles.

And I still think people underrate Rex's athleticism because, ya know, hes white. Rex nearly always made the first man miss. In his draft class at the combine he was ranked as follows among ~35 RB's:

Vertical Jump, 2nd

Broad Jump, 2nd

3 Cone Drill, 4th

20 YD Shuttle, 2nd

60 YD Shuttle, 5th

That's a combine with Gio Bernard, CJ Anderson, Montee Ball, LeVeon Bell, Kenjon Barner, Knile Davis, Christine Michael, Theo Riddick, Andre Ellington, etc.

Ya, but he also ran a 4.73 40y at the combine.

Vertical Jump, 2nd

Broad Jump, 2nd

3 Cone Drill, 4th

20 YD Shuttle, 2nd

60 YD Shuttle, 5th

Ya, but he also ran a 4.73 40y at the combine.
We both said/agreed he's not top end fast. Does not mean he wasn't effective outside the tackles.
  • Fire 2

I guess I'm a little confused as to what type of back our staff is looking for to compliment their scheme.

It looks like they want a larger, powerful type back. I'm somewhat surprised at that. I would have thought they would want one that would be better in space with speed and agility catching the ball out of the backfield.

I think they are looking for bigger backs because of their need to block pass rushers/blitzers in the pro scheme. 5'10 180lbs taking on a 245lb blitzing OLB isn't a good matchup, imo.

^ this plus I could see them wanting a back that could be used as an occasional draw type play up the middle that is solid enough to break an arm tackle by a lineman passing by.

I also feel that a few top end backs will want to see a cycle or two of how this staff uses them before we get a top 4* guy to commit here.

No longer on our board according to 247.

IF we take a RB this year, they will only take a really good one. Their top 3 are TJ Pledger (trying to pull him from OU), Sallahudin, and Keontae Ingram. If they don't get one of those high caliber players they will not take a RB in this class.
Appreciate all the updates.

No longer on our board according to 247.

IF we take a RB this year, they will only take a really good one. Their top 3 are TJ Pledger (trying to pull him from OU), Sallahudin, and Keontae Ingram. If they don't get one of those high caliber players they will not take a RB in this class.
Is Roberts considered "really good" and they'd take him or is he out now and it's top three or bust?
  • 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]