The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I feel like Biden directly addressing the allegation, responding personally, and calling for all records to be produced, has put us in a place where we can maybe get back to a feeling of "meh" about him as a candidate.I cannot believe Joe Biden denied the thing for which there is no evidence.

“I am requesting that the Secretary of the Senate ask the Archives to identify any record of the complaint she alleges she filed and make available to the press any such document. If there was ever any such complaint, the record will be there," Biden said.

• Plus1 1

This would also be a great opportunity for Biden to make a statement along the lines of: while this incident did not happen, these are the things that my administration is going to do to support victims of abuse and promote equality for women. He needs to more than deny, he needs to indicate some sort of action.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's hard to keep up with all the changing allegations, but didn't she say there would be a record of her assault complaint? Now she didn't mention assault?

The stuff I read said she had "filed a complaint," but I don't think it ever mentioned assault, and that she did not have a copy of it. 

However, if she had filed anything, a record should exist of it somewhere, regardless of if she kept a copy. But the article you posted yesterday said: "It is odd that Reade kept a copy of her employment records but did not keep a copy of a complaint documenting criminal conduct by a man whose improprieties changed “the trajectory” of her life." 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's hard to keep up with all the changing allegations, but didn't she say there would be a record of her assault complaint? Now she didn't mention assault?

So there may not be a record. But if there is a record, it won't say anything about an assault. Also, we don't what day or even month any of this took place. I think Biden did what he had to do. He wasn't nasty to Reade. He encouraged an investigation to verify her claim. If Biden is telling the truth, it is impossible for him to prove a negative, there is no record, no complaint and no timeline. No proof is his proof. 

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

So there may not be a record. But if there is a record, it won't say anything about an assault. Also, we don't what day or even month any of this took place. I think Biden did what he had to do. He wasn't nasty to Reade. He encouraged an investigation to verify her claim. If Biden is telling the truth, it is impossible for him to prove a negative, there is no record, no complaint and no timeline. No proof is his proof. 

Agreed. But that there were no emails never stopped the "buttery males" crowd in 2016.

All they had to do was trump up any old allegation. They never had to prove anything.

It's incumbent on the voter not to fall for this again. I think a lot of people learned their lesson in the wake of 2016. We'll see how many.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The stuff I read said she had "filed a complaint," but I don't think it ever mentioned assault, and that she did not have a copy of it. 

However, if she had filed anything, a record should exist of it somewhere, regardless of if she kept a copy. But the article you posted yesterday said: "It is odd that Reade kept a copy of her employment records but did not keep a copy of a complaint documenting criminal conduct by a man whose improprieties changed “the trajectory” of her life." 

It's not unusual for employees not to have copies of things like this. Those are typically internal employer documents. Many, but not all, employers provide a copy of such complaints to the person filing.

While it would be great if she had a copy, it's not necessarily remarkable that she doesn't.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

The only issue I had with the interview others have noted:

Is he having a short circuit?  Stuck for an answer?  Evading?  It's not a good look regardless.  If I were him and had nothing to hide, I'd go ahead and push this forward and put it to bed.

It's a bad look for Biden because he stumbled over his answer and had a couple of long pauses and was unable to give a response that could put the topic to rest. But there needs to be a compelling legal reason to search through those records.

This article provides more info from the U of Delaware about those records and why they cannot make them available: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/politics/biden-senate-papers/index.html

It doesn't seem like a name search would even be possible. This is 1850 boxes of uncurated documents that Biden himself gifted to the university. It's not Google. Reade herself just tweeted that the complaint didn't even mention assault. And personnel files would be kept elsewhere. 

So I agree that there is no compelling reason to open up those records to look for a phantom complaint that has no reason to be among those papers, and even if it was, would not provide any evidence at all of sexual assault.

I thought he was extremely measured throughout that entire interview, with good reason. It's a serious topic and he did not want to misspeak. To some this may have come across as dodging questions or blanking but it's pretty clear to me he was simply being extremely careful with his responses.

On the whole he did what he needed to do: Deny this happened, point to the absence of any formal complaints as a senator, touch on his history of fighting for women and avoid coming off as aggressive or attacking Reade personally in any way.

The U of D papers segment bothered some people, but I thought he was actually quite honest at one point: Those aren't open to the public right now because he's running for president and he didn't want some Trump goon digging up old papers or transcripts with foreign leaders to distort his record and attack him. They're not public so he can't get hit with BS attacks. Admitting that is utterly transparent, IMO.

And if we believe he's being honest that personnel files such as staffer complaints aren't in that collection (it would make sense if they were not, as then you'd be exposing a staffer's private details for public consumption), then it was a dumb gotcha question from Mika devised to stir controversy anyway.

I'm listening to talk radio and a couple of people are suggesting Biden should say he'll release his Delaware records as soon as Trump releases his REAL medical records and tax returns. :lol:

• Plus1 1