In this situation, the Dems are being somewhat disingenuous with their outrage. They were very upset with him with the Clinton email fiasco. If he were fired back then, they would have fully supported it. Now, they act like they loved him all along.

No they don't.

They act like they prefer him to FBI Director Rudy Giuliani.

Then they should have been careful of what they wished for because several Dem's came out publicly and said they didn't think he should be the director anymore.

Well let's recount exactly where we are.

Trump fired the man investigating his ties to Russia for something he did last summer.

Jeff Sessions, who recused himself of the matter, recommended the firing after getting a memo dated yesterday from his weeks-old deputy AG. It's being reported this has been in the works for more than a week, though.

Sessions, recused, is interviewing Comey replacements, who will lead that investigation, and will ultimately make the final call. Remember, he's recused himself.

Republican Senators have predictably announced their deep concern and how troubled they are, and are now reliably lining up to praise Trump for the move and do nothing.

Senate Majority Leader The Turtle is openly shooting down calls for a special prosecutor to handle this matter.

Senate Democrats seem to be the only people in government who can be bothered to give a damn about any of this.

This is not normal.

• Fire 4

In this situation, the Dems are being somewhat disingenuous with their outrage. They were very upset with him with the Clinton email fiasco. If he were fired back then, they would have fully supported it. Now, they act like they loved him all along.

No they don't.

Then they should have been careful of what they wished for because several Dem's came out publicly and said they didn't think he should be the director anymore.

Trump fired the man investigating his ties to Russia for something he did last summer.

Jeff Sessions, who recused himself of the matter, recommended the firing after getting a memo dated yesterday from his weeks-old deputy AG. It's being reported this has been in the works for more than a week, though.

Sessions, recused, is interviewing Comey replacements, who will lead that investigation, and will ultimately make the final call. Remember, he's recused himself.

Republican Senators have predictably announced their deep concern and how troubled they are, and are now reliably lining up to praise Trump for the move and do nothing.

Senate Majority Leader The Turtle is openly shooting down calls for a special prosecutor to handle this matter.

Senate Democrats seem to be the only people in government who can be bothered to give a damn about any of this.

This is not normal.

Don't get me wrong. This move is very troubling for all the reasons you spelled out.

However, as StPaul pointed out, some Dems had wanted him fired before.

No they don't.

This is not normal.

It's not normal but it's within their rights. Not much can be done about all of this until 2018 when you can speak with your vote. I know i will

Sad to see a public servant like Comey take a fall (regardless of my opinion of his performance), but I'm grateful that this may actually get things rolling a bit more quickly toward investigations on our POTUS and his intentions and abilities to lead.

the fact that he managed to piss off both sides show that he was doing his job correctly and wasn't a slave to either party.

He pissed off both sides because he was mishandling investigations.

trump was praising comey 2 weeks before the election for his great work with the clinton e-mail investigation. now that is the trump excuse for firing him so that he can appoint someone to bury this current investigation.

While Trump was praising Comey about Clinton, Dems wanted him fired. Now Trump fires Comey about Russia and Dems are mad.

See what this looks like?

Sad to see a public servant like Comey take a fall (regardless of my opinion of his performance), but I'm grateful that this may actually get things rolling a bit more quickly toward investigations on our POTUS and his intentions and abilities to lead.

the fact that he managed to piss off both sides show that he was doing his job correctly and wasn't a slave to either party.

trump was praising comey 2 weeks before the election for his great work with the clinton e-mail investigation. now that is the trump excuse for firing him so that he can appoint someone to bury this current investigation.

While Trump was praising Comey about Clinton, Dems wanted him fired. Now Trump fires Comey about Russia and Dems are mad.

it looks like he was doing his job and not a slave to either side....my original point

it looks like he was doing his job and not a slave to either side....my original point

Just because he wasn't a slave to either side doesn't mean he was doing a good job.

Just because he wasn't a slave to either side doesn't mean he was doing a good job.

if he was doing such a poor job with the russia investigation...why would trump need to fire him? he was safe from the bungling investigation. let it run it's course and fire comey when it doesn't look like he is trying to cover sh#t up. if comey was doing a good job and trump was afraid of the results i would expect exactly what happened.

if he was doing such a poor job with the russia investigation...why would trump need to fire him? he was safe from the bungling investigation. let it run it's course and fire comey when it doesn't look like he is trying to cover sh#t up. if comey was doing a good job and trump was afraid of the results i would expect exactly what happened.

Did Trump say he was firing Comey for doing a poor job with the Russia investigation?

I agree wholeheartedly that this has an unbelievable stench of obstruction. No question in my mind. But there is literally nothing that can be done about it unless the rules are changed on who hires and fires these directors.

Trump could literally fire Comey for wearing blue socks into the White House. That's his privilege as President.

I just heard about this firing this morning and was shocked. A lot to ponder here. I don't agree with the firing and believe it to be totally a political save my a... move. If you want to fire the guy, you do it after your name is cleared of the Russian investigation. If Trump has nothing to hide, he has nothing to fear from the investigation. Wait until it is wrapped up and then move on wt a new guy if you have lost confidence in him. This smacks of something smelling like dead fish.

Some articles:

I think this article and comments from Mr Conservative, Charles Krauthammer who get's it right and I agree with his assessment - my link took me to...... Brietbart :o Maybe they get a few things right once in a while. I've quoted it in full so

you don't feel 'stained' going there :P

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/05/09/krauthammer-highly-implausible-to-claim-comey-was-fired-for-how-he-handled-clinton-investigation/

On Tuesday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “Special Report,” columnist Charles Krauthammer argued that Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein’s claim that FBI Director James Comey should be fired due to his mishandling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails is “highly implausible.”

Krauthammer said, “[A]ccording to the letter by the deputy attorney general, this is about something that occurred on July the 5th. This, it’s — so we start out with something that is highly implausible. If that was so offensive to the Trump administration, what you would have done is, in the transition, you would have spoken with Comey, and said, we are going to let you go. That’s when a president could very easily make a decision to have a change. That’s not unprecedented. But to fire him summarily with no warning, in the middle of May, because of something that happened in July, is almost inexplicable.”

He continued, “Do we really believe that Donald Trump, after all these months, decided suddenly he had to fire this guy because he damaged Hillary back in July? Another implausible conjecture.”

Articles supporting the firing - basically for botching investigations, being independent, etc.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/09/why-james-comey-had-to-go/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comeys-deserved-dismissal-1494380259

10 Scandals under Comey's watch (I'm not familiar with this website)

https://news.grabien.com/story-10-major-fbi-scandals-comeys-watch

Trump's biggest Gamble - we'll see if it ends like the Nixon Saturday Night gamble (which I remember in my youth)

From US News and World Report (the Mag I grew up reading wt my Dad) https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-05-09/in-firing-fbi-director-james-comey-donald-trump-takes-his-biggest-gamble-yet

Jeffrey Toobin, the CNN legal analyst, could barely contain his disbelief of that explanation on the air.

"The FBI is running an investigation of Donald Trump's campaign and Russia and apparently it's getting too close for comfort. That's the only rational conclusion you can draw from his firing," he said.

Toobin posited that this will allow Trump to eventually appoint "a stooge who will shut down this investigation ... maybe Chris Christie, someone who will do his bidding."

The integrity of the ongoing investigation will surely be questioned, but the probe won't end. It will be up to Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a career officer whose wife ran for a state office as a Democrat, to show independence and continuity as the White House begins the search for a permanent replacement.

"If Hillary Clinton had won … Director Comey would have been fired immediately and the same Democrats that are criticizing the president's decision today would be dancing in the streets," White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday night on Fox.

But on Comey, Trump forced Democrats into a vice. While they loathed his impact on Clinton, some eventually came to see him as a steady bulwark in the Russia investigation.

That conundrum was clear when Schumer addressed reporters Tuesday and called for an independent special prosecutor to pick up the pieces of an investigation that's been rocked.

When pressed on his opinion of Comey, Schumer said, "I never called on the president to fire Director Comey. I had a lot of questions about how he handled himself."

Trump knows that to many Americans, Democrats will look hypocritical defending Comey now after trashing him so incessantly.

In less than four months, this president has fired the acting attorney general, a prominent U.S. attorney in New York and the FBI director.

In his prior life, "you're fired" was a dramatic line to cap a reality television show.

Now, Trump is employing it at the highest possible levels to reshape his presidency – and possibly history. (made bold by TG)