Mandel: Huskers Drop from 'Kings' to 'Barons' of CFB

My take is:

What is Nebraka's "sex appeal?"

Oregon had their uniforms, a loud ass stadium, a Heisman, multiple BCS/Natty/Nike...

Notre Dame had high draft picks, a couple BCS, rankings, Mante Teo, etc.

Penn St had a huge scandal, a reclamation

USC always fares well w their QB and draft picks

LSU, plain ballers

Louisville been upswing

Houston kind of Cinderella types

tOSU/MICH love em or hate em, always there.

Alabama, uhhhh, yeah.

Florida St, cache and in the mix

In other words: a sell out streak, 9 win seasons and no real "identity", and lack luster draft status leaves us neither here nor there.

If I was Wisconsin or MSU, I'd be demanding more respect. If I were Clemson or Oklahoma I'd be asking "we have done much for you lately, no?"

We have no sex appeal. We have no cache. We have nothing to offer a national audience, in the last 10 years except a raging coach and a "rebuild"

imgres_1.jpg

I don't know. Gabrielle Union brings Dwayne Wade to the games. Keyshawn Johnson sends his son here. Hotshot SoCal recruits are going on social media to brag about coming to Nebraska. 55 years of sold-out stadiums ain't nothing. Former Huskers who came here from warm weather and big cities ended up living here after graduation, still treated as celebrities, heroes to an entire state. And no other capitol building in the nation is hung like Nebraska's.

Nebraska is as hip as a flannel shirt -- and it turns out flannel shirts are pretty hip these days.

Win a couple meaningful games and Nebraska will be totally retro.

What goes around comes around.

• Fire 4

I think labeling us as "baron's" is pretty inflated.

It's tough to be a Baron when you're struggling to be a contender in the division of your own conference.

The recruits just aren't there anymore. The coaching has been sub par for almost 20 years with some pretty lean years, and until we find another Osbourne/Devaney, the recruits aren't going to come.

I wish I knew where to find the next great coach that will be here for nearly a generation, because the landscape of college football has changed. Coaches are far less likely to go somewhere to a storied program, but where the money is. And the NCAA's jenga like movement of teams and conferences have made this problem even worse.

I think that moving to the Big Ten helped us financially, but f'd us from the tradition standpoint. It moved us away from traditional rivals and that's what this program touted for so long. And I am not sure that it can be restored, but I think we have to create a new tradition, and the current guy at the helm isn't going to be the one to get us there.

• Fire 1

disagree with the tradition - except OU. We have a chance to stand up to some of the teams with the best win totals in the history of college football. I wouldn't give up on our coach just yet. We need to win our division about 75% of the time and then start going after the big 3 of the East winning close to 50% of those yearly match-ups.

I wish I knew where to find the next great coach that will be here for nearly a generation

Yeah, that doesn't happen when you hire a guy that's as old as Osborne was when he retired. Then again, Devaney coached 11 seasons. If Riley coaches that many seasons at Nebraska, he'll still be a good five years younger in his final season than Bill Snyder is today...

We need to win our division about 75% of the time and then start going after the big 3 of the East winning close to 50% of those yearly match-ups.

That would be great.

But we'd have to win the division the next six years in a row to get there. Which isn't out of the question. But since he hasn't gotten us better than third so far that's kind of a lofty goal.

We need to win our division about 75% of the time and then start going after the big 3 of the East winning close to 50% of those yearly match-ups.

That would be great.

But we'd have to win the division the next six years in a row to get there. Which isn't out of the question. But since he hasn't gotten us better than third so far that's kind of a lofty goal.

Agree these are lofty goals - I was actually putting my numbers out as going forward from today (since I feel we now are in position to do so) we are setting ourselves up to have too much talent for the rest of the west. Asking to beat the 2nd and 3rd best team in the East every other time and stealing a win from time to time from the top team in the east isn't impossible.

I think labeling us as "baron's" is pretty inflated.

It's tough to be a Baron when you're struggling to be a contender in the division of your own conference.

The recruits just aren't there anymore. The coaching has been sub par for almost 20 years with some pretty lean years, and until we find another Osbourne/Devaney, the recruits aren't going to come.

I wish I knew where to find the next great coach that will be here for nearly a generation, because the landscape of college football has changed. Coaches are far less likely to go somewhere to a storied program, but where the money is. And the NCAA's jenga like movement of teams and conferences have made this problem even worse.

I think that moving to the Big Ten helped us financially, but f'd us from the tradition standpoint. It moved us away from traditional rivals and that's what this program touted for so long. And I am not sure that it can be restored, but I think we have to create a new tradition, and the current guy at the helm isn't going to be the one to get us there.

They're basing it on overall prestige and winning in the common era of football with an emphasis in the past 10 years. So it's not inflated.

Pretty sure that after reading some of the posts in this forum, you'll find the next great coach right here at huskerboard.

Then that makes me think we're struggling to stay a shade north of constabulary...

• Fire 1