House Majority Whip Steve Scalise shot in Virginia

to me the difference between a semi-auto and assault weapons is the magazine capacity. most semi-auto hunting rifles have a 5 to 7 round capacity. assault rifles can hold 25 or more rounds. less time spent reloading means more time firing bullets into people.

correct, if the weapon has an automatic element and is designed for military use (sorry but a 25 round magazine is designed for the military not hunting) then it is by definition, an assault weapon.

Edit: actually, I think it must be capable of fully automatic or it doesn't technically count. Selective firing would be the term meaning the gun can be switched from semi auto to a short burst to fully automatic.

to me the difference between a semi-auto and assault weapons is the magazine capacity. most semi-auto hunting rifles have a 5 to 7 round capacity. assault rifles can hold 25 or more rounds. less time spent reloading means more time firing bullets into people.

correct, if the weapon has an automatic element and is designed for military use (sorry but a 25 round magazine is designed for the military not hunting) then it is by definition, an assault weapon.

Edit: actually, I think it must be capable of fully automatic or it doesn't technically count. Selective firing would be the term meaning the gun can be switched from semi auto to a short burst to fully automatic.

The term you're looking for is assault rifle. They are already illegal for civilians to possess, unless you have the money and political connections to get you a pre-ban.

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".
Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?
Like I said above, it's a catch all term, usually proliferated in gun control groups, to make guns sound scarier. And it's not based on any specific characteristics.

The short answer, is that an "assault weapon" isn't really a thing. Usually, it's just used by non-shooters to refer to semi-auto rifles that are black and scary looking, but functionally, they're no different than ranch rifles that people have used for 70+ years.

With out getting to far into the weeds, below is a very generic example. The two weapons you see below shoot the same ammo and are both capable of firing 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but would you ever classify the first weapon as an "assault" weapon? The black one just looks scarier and is what people associate with militaristic styling and therefore associate it with killing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+10/22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc-fXAw73UAhVLOiYKHTv9BHIQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=tjQp8DEluIcXZM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+m%26p+15-22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw4LHyw73UAhVE4yYKHVfjAIMQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=k6HSEL1dIFfduM:

Bingo.

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".
Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?
Like I said above, it's a catch all term, usually proliferated in gun control groups, to make guns sound scarier. And it's not based on any specific characteristics.

The short answer, is that an "assault weapon" isn't really a thing. Usually, it's just used by non-shooters to refer to semi-auto rifles that are black and scary looking, but functionally, they're no different than ranch rifles that people have used for 70+ years.

With out getting to far into the weeds, below is a very generic example. The two weapons you see below shoot the same ammo and are both capable of firing 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but would you ever classify the first weapon as an "assault" weapon? The black one just looks scarier and is what people associate with militaristic styling and therefore associate it with killing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+10/22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc-fXAw73UAhVLOiYKHTv9BHIQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=tjQp8DEluIcXZM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+m%26p+15-22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw4LHyw73UAhVE4yYKHVfjAIMQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=k6HSEL1dIFfduM:

Bingo.
while I agree the black one isn't an assault rifle assuming it's a semi auto, I don't agree that you could fire off 25 shots in the same amount of time with those 2 guns. The one without a magazine would take much longer due to reloading.
  • Fire 1

If the Ruger 10/22 and M&P 15/22 are functionally exactly identical, what purpose does the M&P's look serve? A marketing gimmick to appeal to the "I'm a tough guy in the military killing people" crowd? Just a more modern iteration reflecting the use case for such a weapon?

If the Ruger 10/22 and M&P 15/22 are functionally exactly identical, what purpose does the M&P's look serve? A marketing gimmick to appeal to the "I'm a tough guy in the military killing people" crowd? Just a more modern iteration reflecting the use case for such a weapon?

Basically, modern design and ergonomics, and the ability to repair and swap parts out. Target shooting competitions are also super popular, so allowing people to customize to their liking in order to win is a factor too.

I won't deny there's some "weekend warrior" marketing that goes on. And it makes me cringe. But, for the most part, those people aren't the ones committing crimes.

• Fire 1

Bingo.
while I agree the black one isn't an assault rifle assuming it's a semi auto, I don't agree that you could fire off 25 shots in the same amount of time with those 2 guns. The one without a magazine would take much longer due to reloading.

They both take magazines.

With out getting to far into the weeds, below is a very generic example. The two weapons you see below shoot the same ammo and are both capable of firing 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but would you ever classify the first weapon as an "assault" weapon? The black one just looks scarier and is what people associate with militaristic styling and therefore associate it with killing.https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+10/22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc-fXAw73UAhVLOiYKHTv9BHIQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=tjQp8DEluIcXZM:https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+m%26p+15-22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw4LHyw73UAhVE4yYKHVfjAIMQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=k6HSEL1dIFfduM:

Bingo.

The ruger is also magazine driven, it's just not shown in that first picture I don't believe. Search ruger 10/22 25 round magazine and you will see they are the same.

This was bound to happen eventually. Not saying it is right that it happened. The Republicans are literally playing with peoples lives with this healthcare bill and other bills they are trying to pass. It caused a lot of anger and this may have been the tipping point for this person. My guess is that the person who said it had to do with healthcare is correct. Maybe a family member that would not be covered and may die under the AHCA. Sad that it happened this way.

• Fire 2