House Majority Whip Steve Scalise shot in Virginia

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".

Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?

Like I said above, it's a catch all term, usually proliferated in gun control groups, to make guns sound scarier. And it's not based on any specific characteristics.

The short answer, is that an "assault weapon" isn't really a thing. Usually, it's just used by non-shooters to refer to semi-auto rifles that are black and scary looking, but functionally, they're no different than ranch rifles that people have used for 70+ years.

So how do you differentiate between guns that fire a lot of rounds at once and a regular gun/rifle etc? Is there a blanket term for them?

Here we go again... debating semantics instead of the real issue. Long guns, ARs, semi-automatic rifles, AR variants it doesn't matter. Far too many people are dying or being injured from gun violence in this country and we're not doing a damn thing about it.

• Fire 2

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".

Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?

Like I said above, it's a catch all term, usually proliferated in gun control groups, to make guns sound scarier. And it's not based on any specific characteristics.

The short answer, is that an "assault weapon" isn't really a thing. Usually, it's just used by non-shooters to refer to semi-auto rifles that are black and scary looking, but functionally, they're no different than ranch rifles that people have used for 70+ years.

So how do you differentiate between guns that fire a lot of rounds at once and a regular gun/rifle etc? Is there a blanket term for them?

It's just a semi-auto.

Here we go again... debating semantics instead of the real issue. Long guns, ARs, semi-automatic rifles, AR variants it doesn't matter. Far too many people are dying or being injured from gun violence in this country and were not doing a damn thing about it.

QFT.

Sad as it is, I know a lot of people who believe Democrats (at least those not in super-blue districts) should just completely give up gun control as an electoral strategy because it just turns off single-issue rural voters so much. The NRA has a LOT of pull.

• Fire 1

Here we go again... debating semantics instead of the real issue. Long guns, ARs, semi-automatic rifles, AR variants it doesn't matter. Far too many people are dying or being injured from gun violence in this country and were not doing a damn thing about it.

No, not really.

I simply answered a question.

• Fire 3

With out getting to far into the weeds, below is a very generic example. The two weapons you see below shoot the same ammo and are both capable of firing 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but would you ever classify the first weapon as an "assault" weapon? The black one just looks scarier and is what people associate with militaristic styling and therefore associate it with killing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+10/22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc-fXAw73UAhVLOiYKHTv9BHIQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=tjQp8DEluIcXZM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+m%26p+15-22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw4LHyw73UAhVE4yYKHVfjAIMQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=k6HSEL1dIFfduM:

• Fire 2

Saunders - I'm taking a guess based on your knowledge that you're a gun guy. Apologies as I'm sure it's been discussed at length somewhere on the board, but after today's incident (admitting we don't know many details) and the seemingly routine number of them in the US what are your thoughts on gun control?

• Fire 1

With out getting to far into the weeds, below is a very generic example. The two weapons you see below shoot the same ammo and are both capable of firing 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but would you ever classify the first weapon as an "assault" weapon? The black one just looks scarier and is what people associate with militaristic styling and therefore associate it with killing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+10/22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc-fXAw73UAhVLOiYKHTv9BHIQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=tjQp8DEluIcXZM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+m%26p+15-22&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw4LHyw73UAhVE4yYKHVfjAIMQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=k6HSEL1dIFfduM:

Thanks - yes I'd uneducatedly call the first a rifle.

Not really. They are basically either:

semi-auto: one pull of the trigger fires one round, no bolt or hammer manipulations required by the shooter after every round. You can shoot rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger

Single action: some manipulation required after every shot. Think revolvers, bolt action rifles, shot guns.

Fully automatic: Think military weapons. Hold the trigger down and you can shoot continuously until the magazine is empty or the weapon overheats. These are pretty much illegal for civilians to own. And I don't think they have ever been used in a mass shooting since their banning.

to me the difference between a semi-auto and assault weapons is the magazine capacity. most semi-auto hunting rifles have a 5 to 7 round capacity. assault rifles can hold 25 or more rounds. less time spent reloading means more time firing bullets into people.

Saunders - I'm taking a guess based on your knowledge that you're a gun guy. Apologies as I'm sure it's been discussed at length somewhere on the board, but after today's incident (admitting we don't know many details) and the seemingly routine number of them in the US what are your thoughts on gun control?

To start, the number of gun crimes in the US has been on decline for quite awhile. The difference is that social media makes it seem like they're happening more, which isn't true. That siad, there are absolutely things we can do to make access to firearms harder for people who shouldn't have them.

I'm trying to find the long post I wrote up in the Gun Control thread, but here was my last reply when people were discussing suppressors.

My hope was that the current admin would roll the HPA + National Reciprocity together with some sort of national UBC ruling. I didn't actually expect it, but one can hope for lemons out of lemonade. It wouldn't be hard to strengthen and streamline the current system to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, and dangerous people, while also making the laws infinitely less confusing. Instead, they're just f'ing up healthcare.

:/

My summary is: You're not going to ban guns. It's basically a non-starter. Why? Because people across all political spectrums enjoy them. Banning classes of guns is pointless too because things like magazines and parts are super easy to make. Right now, we have a crazy amount of rules and laws that are hard to understand, and vary state to state.

My solution: Make a national license, that requires a proficiency test, and works in every state. Mandatory background checks. Purchases not to family members have to go through a firearms dealer, but they are free. Remove suppressors and "short barreled rifles" from the NFA. Let the ATF & FBI spend it's resources on actual criminals and crimes vs spending so much time and money on paperwork and useless legislation.

Edit: Found it.

For the record, this is what I've posted in the past regarding my thoughts to help curtail gun violence.

Fix the for profit prison system, and scrap the current drug war. Instant massive drop in crime. This is more important than any single gun law. Inner city gang and drug related crime accounts for more violence than all the mass shootings combined.

Next, if we're going to mandatory background checks, then we do it this way. A mandatory background check becomes a national license. You lose the license if you commit any number of crimes. A basic proficiency test (plus written exam) like I had to do for my CCW. If you want to go concealed, then offer more free training. In turn, the license is national, so no more having 50 sets of rules. If you can conceal carry in Minnesota, or Florida, you can in California or New York too. This means that cali and NYC can't blame other states for their crime (and corruption) problems. Banning things like "assault rifles" that kill less people than hammers, pools, and fists or stuff like silencers because they're "scary" won't fix the problem.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/79520-gun-control/&do=findComment&comment=1704203

• Fire 1