House Majority Whip Steve Scalise shot in Virginia

So he probably used the tourniquet on the aide with the leg wound. Jeez, I hope that one hit in the chest is alright.

I can only hope the guy who did it wasn't politically motivated. The level of rancor and anger in the country is so high right now.

unfortunately I can't think of any other motivation after hearing the story
  • Fire 1

I'm so scared to find out the motivation - my worry is it 's a man with a dying wife worried about healthcare or something similar.

If it was any other administration I'd anticipate hearing from leadership today about the fact that "we're all americans" and "we need to put politics aside and come together", but I doubt that's a message we hear from the WH.

I do think we'll hear it from the real leaders in government - past & present.

• Fire 1

How does a man with a rifle & a scope shoot 50-60 rounds at lightly-clad targets within 50-150 feet of him and not kill anyone? Only five were shot and all are expected to be OK, including the shooter.

That's an amazing coincidence.

it's 1 thing to be accurate on the shooting range....it's another thing to be accurate when someone is shooting back at you.

• Fire 2

How does a man with a rifle & a scope shoot 50-60 rounds at lightly-clad targets within 50-150 feet of him and not kill anyone? Only five were shot and all are expected to be OK, including the shooter.

That's an amazing coincidence.

I'd be curious to see the distances and angles, but the short answer is that hitting a moving target isn't that easy, especially when someone else is shooting back.

• Fire 1

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".

• Fire 1

This is just horrifying. One report said there were 50+ shots, so I'm assuming assault weapon?

I hope this brings the gun control issue to the forefront of peoples minds in the GOP. These shootings must stop.

Can you describe for me what you consider an "assault" weapon. If youre going off of shots fired, any semi automatic weapon is to be considered "assault".

It's the "spread offense" of gun terms. It's a catch-all for term that doesn't really mean anything.

Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?

• Fire 2

Admittedly I'm totally not savvy with guns. All I meant was that it was a machine that supposedly fired many shots at a time. Apologies if I used the wrong terminology. Can you clarify the differences?

Like I said above, it's a catch all term, usually proliferated in gun control groups, to make guns sound scarier. And it's not based on any specific characteristics.

The short answer, is that an "assault weapon" isn't really a thing. Usually, it's just used by non-shooters to refer to semi-auto rifles that are black and scary looking, but functionally, they're no different than ranch rifles that people have used for 70+ years.

not sure if accurate....but they have reported that it was a kalishnikov (sp).......that is not a hunting rifle....it is a military assault weapon if the reports are true. while it would work fine for hunting if you wanted to use it as such...it was designed to kill as many people as possible in the shortest time possible.