Mayweather v. McGregor - August 26

Mavric

10 hours ago, Dewiz said:

What's up with the "Decision will be finale after the 4th round" garbage? 

So had Mayweather KO'd Connor in the 2nd it wouldn't have counted? 

It means there is no TKO until the 4th round. If the ref had to stop the fight it would be a draw. You can still win by KO. It's pretty much a standard rule in boxing, using the 4th, 5th, or 6th depending on the number of rounds to be fought.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Read the NY Times synopsis this morning - seems like it all went done roughly how people expected, sans the 'McGregor will get knocked out early' talk.

I guess McGregor can take a bit of a moral victory for hanging in there early, but by all intents and purposes, it sounds like Mayweather controlled the night.

No. After 6 it was most likely 3-3. Maybe even 4-2 McGregor. Mayweather won 7. McGregor most likely won 8. And Mayweather won 9. I think McGregor was up by one point going into 10 when the TKO happened. He held his own and I was very entertained. Way betted than Pacquio fight. 

The scorecards suggest otherwise, Rike, unless you're talking about something different.

After six, the judges had these tallies (Mayweather's number is first, McGregor's is second): 3-3, 5-1, 5-1. All judges unanimously agreed McGregor took round one, and only one judge gave him favor in rounds two and three. Otherwise, after round three, it was solid 10's for Mayweather from each judge.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 12.22.09 PM.png

• Plus1 2

Well idk what the judges were watching in rounds 2 and 3 because they were definitely McGregors. Shocks me that two judges gave it to Mayweather. Maybe they look for different thins than the average fan but covering your head while your opponent pushes forward and lands some shots does not constitute as winning the round IMO. But if they gave Mayweather 2 and 3 then I can see why they gave him those other rounds that were too close to call either round 4,5 or 6 i couldnt remember all I know is I along with the announcers scorecards had it 3-3 possibly 4-2 McGregor going into 7. And then 8 was a toss up also. McGregor threw way too many power shots early on which is why he gassed. 362 total for fight. But dont let anyone fool you, McGregor looked like he belonged. 

• Plus1 1

Some of it is subjective, no question. I don't know enough about (or, truthfully, care enough to know about) exactly what the judges are looking for in the scoring. So, for the average person, I can only take the word of the supposed experts. They all unanimously agreed Mayweather controlled the fight following round three, including the judge who was giving McGregor the most love early. That also seems to be the narrative I've picked up from several outlets this morning.

As for McGregor belonging, are people really genuinely surprised McGregor didn't get completely blown out of the water? I know MMA and boxing have a lot of differences, but they also have several similarities, and Mayweather's fighting style didn't seem designed to destroy McGregor from the outset. McGregor is a talented athlete in his own right.

I don't know. It just seems from what little I know about both guys, MMA and boxing, it always felt like McGregor would at least hang in there.

I'd give Conor the first 3.  Nothing wrong with that.

When rounds are as one-sided as 9 it's not uncommon to score it 10-8 without a KD.  10 was a 10-8 round too if Conor would have survived it.

Conor would probably be a decent 6 round fighter right now.  Have to throw away the bicycle and stop taking shortcuts on cardio.  Get him a real trainer.  Feed him some stiffs to get some rounds in.

Great athlete.

People are out here acting like Conor just went life and death with pre-2007 Floyd Mayweather.

Floyd is obviously shot, and the fight was still obviously one-sided.  Floyd letting Conor punch himself out for 4 rounds isn't the same thing as the fight being competitive.   Competitive implies Floyd was at risk of losing the fight.  It wasn't anything close to that.

He could have easily avoided everything Conor threw and carried him to a 12-0 decision.  People would have been pissing and moaning about that too. 

He wanted to put on a show and get the KO, despite not being a KO puncher.  He employed a strategy to achieve that and executed it.

He knew Conor was an 8 round fighter at best so he took him out to deep water and drowned him.

Oh and by the way, 41 year old brittle-handed Floyd Mayweather is a heavier hitter than prime Conor McGregor.  Sad!

P.S. Floyd was the one coming forward walking through punches and Conor was the one running and hugging covfefe

• Plus1 2

Watching again, I'd have a tough time scoring round 3 for McGregor.  He threw 4 (four!) illegal rabbit punches after being warned for it in a previous round.  The ref technically should have deducted a point, but I understand why he let it go.  1 was McGregor, 2 was a tossup.  Just my opinion.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:25 AM, Enhance said:

Read the NY Times synopsis this morning - seems like it all went done roughly how people expected, sans the 'McGregor will get knocked out early' talk.

I guess McGregor can take a bit of a moral victory for hanging in there early, but by all intents and purposes, it sounds like Mayweather controlled the night.

Mayweather controlled the fight the entire night.  The only reason McGregor won the first round is because Mayweather was just sitting back and letting him wear himself out.  

Mayweather was never in a situation to come close to losing this fight.

In fact, in the last round, he was being nice for some reason to McGregor.  There were a number of times he could have landed a complete knockout punch on a defenseless McGregor....but didn't.