Nebraska Now Full Member of B1G Financially - $51.1M This Year

Can anyone explain why we had to wait? I don't recall ever hearing why. Also, did Rutgers and Maryland have to wait and if not why?

Yes, Rutgers and Maryland have had to wait also, although in slightly different processes. Basically, it's an X year long integration process where new schools aren't rewarded without having put up the equity back when the BTN was a risky endeavor, and also so the pre-existing members don't temporarily lose revenue while the conference expands.

Can anyone explain why we had to wait? I don't recall ever hearing why. Also, did Rutgers and Maryland have to wait and if not why?

Yes, Rutgers and Maryland have had to wait also, although in slightly different processes. Basically, it's an X year long integration process where new schools aren't rewarded without having put up the equity back when the BTN was a risky endeavor, and also so the pre-existing members don't temporarily lose revenue while the conference expands.

I thought Maryland got some sort of sweet heart deal because they were losing so much money. Something like more money now for a couple of years, but less in the future for something like 5 years

Edit: quick internet search: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/05/18/big-ten-revenue-jim-delany-pay-salary-compensation-television/84553752/

Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers are each on separately negotiated paths to full shares of Big Ten revenue. In fiscal 2015, Nebraska received $19.8 million, Maryland $24.1 million and Rutgers nearly $10.5 million, according to the new return, which the conference provided Wednesday in response to a request from USA TODAY Sports.

The return also showed that the Big Ten loaned Maryland an additional $11.6 million.

• Fire 1

guys; may i speak from the forefront a bit, if I may be so bold. You are about to make a windfall financially; you are in the most stable conference in the country because you were desired; the future is bright for you as an institution (on account of being part of B1G, and then some); and you are still a blue blood in football. Do some things need rearranging; of course. There will be a time in the future that OSU needs a pick me up from the rest of the league, today is not that day, but the day is coming. Be content that in this league, we work toward the betterment of each member. Always have, always will.

• Fire 4

It's been too long in coming as we brought a national television appeal unlike most programs, including a majority of the then existing Big Ten schools. We may not be the top box office draw we were a couple decades ago but we're still in the top twenty surely.

The interesting question is how much more the Big Ten got from us than we got from them? Hopefully, over the next decade, the tide turns toward NU and we really do benefit. The change in conferences was a net benefit to Nebraska as compared to the Big 12 and perhaps any other options (if any) that may have been had otherwise. But we have been given a rough iniation and a guantlet of disadvantageous scheduling as part of our 'entry fee' and dues to join. Overall, I am glad we made the change but that opinion could change if we don't see our 'full membership' standing begin to rebalance the scales going forward so that after another 5 years we should have an honest equality in terms of home vs away matchups with all conference schools. And, hopefully the television coverage will be fair and balanced as well. We likely deserve some extra helpings for a while to make up for the short stick we have had in some ways.

What other 9-4 football team got more coverage than you did in 2016? I doubt any other 6-7 football team got more coverage than the Huskers in 2015.

As for the scheduling, if you want to act like a premiere football school, then don't cry when you are scheduled against Ohio State and Michigan.

Those two schools who wouldn't play us when T,O. was coaching with out a 2 for 1 home games for them. Oh yeah I remember those two premiere schools.

GBR!!!

It's been too long in coming as we brought a national television appeal unlike most programs, including a majority of the then existing Big Ten schools. We may not be the top box office draw we were a couple decades ago but we're still in the top twenty surely.

The interesting question is how much more the Big Ten got from us than we got from them? Hopefully, over the next decade, the tide turns toward NU and we really do benefit. The change in conferences was a net benefit to Nebraska as compared to the Big 12 and perhaps any other options (if any) that may have been had otherwise. But we have been given a rough iniation and a guantlet of disadvantageous scheduling as part of our 'entry fee' and dues to join. Overall, I am glad we made the change but that opinion could change if we don't see our 'full membership' standing begin to rebalance the scales going forward so that after another 5 years we should have an honest equality in terms of home vs away matchups with all conference schools. And, hopefully the television coverage will be fair and balanced as well. We likely deserve some extra helpings for a while to make up for the short stick we have had in some ways.

What other 9-4 football team got more coverage than you did in 2016? I doubt any other 6-7 football team got more coverage than the Huskers in 2015.

As for the scheduling, if you want to act like a premiere football school, then don't cry when you are scheduled against Ohio State and Michigan.

Those two schools who wouldn't play us when T,O. was coaching with out a 2 for 1 home games for them. Oh yeah I remember those two premiere schools.

GBR!!!

Proof? It wouldn't have been surprising if that was the case.

When money is that large. It's not going to make a huge difference for schools. Facilities are great everywhere. It's about how you brand. Not how much money you have.

In which case Nebraska will have a good brand and a bunch of money. But, so will USC, Oregon and Stanford. All while Washington is improving its brand/coaching.

Stanford always recruits well now. Oregon's recruiting is on fire this year with the new energy from Taggart. USC is no longer on any penalty for Reggie Bush.

The money difference is going to help out the non revenue generating sports in a much bigger way than it will affect on field performance of football. Just my opinion