Ahman Green Arrested

Fru

I'm not going to be sorry for my comments that some feel were condescending. I do feel that if you aren't a parent, then your opinion on parents matters don't matter much to me. If you don't like that, tough.

Have you ever been the head coach of a major division 1 football program?

You're right I haven't, and I knew this example would be used against me. And I guarantee that Mike Riley and his whole staff would laugh at me in my face if I ever gave my opinion on football coaching.

• Fire 1

Personally, I'd much prefer getting slapped in the face to lashings with a belt.

Reminds.of me of a story....

When I was very young my older brother really ticked off my mom. She chased him around the house a bit but she slipped on a rug on a tile floor and fell hard, flat on her back. My brother felt bad so he went over to check on her. As he was leaning down to ask if she was okay, she reached up and slapped him good. Ha.

• Fire 2

I'm not going to be sorry for my comments that some feel were condescending. I do feel that if you aren't a parent, then your opinion on parents matters don't matter much to me. If you don't like that, tough.

You're right I haven't, and I knew this example would be used against me. And I guarantee that Mike Riley and his whole staff would laugh at me in my face if I ever gave my opinion on football coaching.

A lack of relative experience does not automatically invalidate one's opinion.

• Fire 1

It does when one with a lack of experience attacks another's opinion.

According to WBAY-TV, other people present in the home at the time of the incident witnessed Green picking his daughter up but didn't witness him punching her. WBAY-TV reported that Green's wife told police that the daughter had talked about making a call to authorities so her father would get into trouble with the law.

LINK

First, nobody in this thread is advocating that parents punch their children. Nobody. Spanking a child? Yeah, well, it seems like there are divided opinions on that issue.

Second, none of Ahman's family saw him punch her--except the daughter of course. And the daughter had talked (apparently beforehand) about calling the police to get him in trouble. Is is possible that Ahman might just be telling the truth?

The mere fact that someone is accused of something doesn't mean they are guilty. Perhaps people should remain more open minded about this until all the facts are in.

Almost all of those posts are about whether it's okay to slap a kid. Not about whether Ahman should go to jail for the rest of his life for being a bad person. So you're not really speaking to anyone in this topic.

Also, what "truth" are you talking about?

According to reports, Green told police that he "popped" his daughter by using an open palm to hit her ear but acknowledged that he might have also hit her glasses, causing the injuries around her left eye.

Not really. Experience isn't the end-all, be-all of a discussion or an argument. It's certainly a larger caliber of ammunition, but it doesn't automatically invalidate another's opinion, particularly when the other opinion does have relative experience with children.

• Fire 2

I've known my future step kids for 6 years, since they were 7, 4, and 2. Can put this idiocy that you have to push babies out of your vagina to post about parenting to rest? Especially since that would make your experience lacking as well?

You have a low threshold for the word "attack." Saying that the idea that most of us could slap a kid (causing bruises) is bullsh#t is not an attack.

I've known my future step kids for 6 years, since they were 7, 4, and 2. Can put this idiocy that you have to push babies out of your vagina to post about parenting to rest? Especially since that would make your experience lacking as well?

Because I am a man, that doesn't make me eligible to be a parent? That's freaking idiotic. I'm not a father because my sperm grew into a baby in my wife and then she gave birth. I'm a father because I have been involved and been responsible for my 2 kids lives since their births. It's been every day for over 11 years, and it will be every day until the day I or they die.

That's great that you have babysat your younger relatives. But that's not the same as being an actual parent. I give you a lot of credit for being involved in your future step children's lives. That's awesome.

I never once said that what Ahman Green was accused and arrested for was "ok". I was irked when someone posted how they can understand being very upset with their children like Ahman was, and you directly attacked that post with vulgar language, especially when you aren't a parent. People like to throw out their opinions on a lot of subjects when they actually have no perspective on those subjects. That's where I am coming from.

• Fire 2

Because I am a man, that doesn't make me eligible to be a parent? That's freaking idiotic.

You're saying I'm not a parent, when I've helped parent 3 kids.

Of course I don't think you're not a parent because you're male - that would be "freaking idiotic."

Just as "freaking idiotic" as saying my opinion doesn't count here because I don't have biological children. Ergo my post about not pushing kids out of a vagina. You haven't done that either. That's clearly your requirement if you think I can't discuss this.

I'm real sorry the vulgar word "sh#t" offended you. I get emotional when people say most could hit a kid. I'll try to use "poop" next time.

I was once an expert on parenting, with brilliant clarity on all topics...

...and then I had children.

I seem to know very little about parenting now that I'm experiencing it.

and I've known my future stepchildren for 6 years. Creating this criteria is stupid in the first place, especially when you don't know about the people you're talking to.

So.....do you know Ahman and his family? You must since your opinion is once again the only correct one.

• Fire 2

I was once an expert on parenting, with brilliant clarity on all topics...

...and then I had children.

I seem to know very little about parenting now that I'm experiencing it.

and I've known my future stepchildren for 6 years. Creating this criteria is stupid in the first place, especially when you don't know about the people you're talking to.

So.....do you know Ahman and his family? You must since your opinion is once again the only correct one.

We aren't even talking about Ahman or anyone in his family. We're talking about whether most could slap a kid. Keep up. That's pretty much the only thing I've discussed in this whole topic.

And I'm flattered that you think I'm always right but I'm not nearly so confident in myself.

Really, though, I find it a little weird when you do this. I don't expect Vector or anyone else to abandon their opinions unless they're convinced they're wrong, so why would I abandon mine?

• Fire 1

Yeah, sounds like they were both in the wrong--the 15 year old for not wanting to do dishes/chores, and Ahman for probably pushing that a little too far.

We're talking about something here that, quite honestly, could happen to most parents that deal with unruly children. Not saying it's right, just saying it could happen to most of us.

You have to be joking me?

She is a 15 year old kid.. She didnt want to do dishes so he punched her?

Not even close to both being in the wrong.

A man who lays hands on a woman is scum. A man who lays hands on a child is scum...

Green might have lost his temper and I hope this isn't the man who he is, but laying Punching(causing a black eye) on your child is never ok.

Lock his butt up.

• Fire 2

Yeah, sounds like they were both in the wrong--the 15 year old for not wanting to do dishes/chores, and Ahman for probably pushing that a little too far.

We're talking about something here that, quite honestly, could happen to most parents that deal with unruly children. Not saying it's right, just saying it could happen to most of us.

bullsh#t. To all of this.

Says someone who isn't a parent.

I am a parent and I dont smack my daughter around....

EDIT: I dont have as big of an issue with a slap to the backside. I got spanked when i was a kid... But If she has a black eye that was far more than just a "slap". That sounds like a punch.

I am all for parenting how you see fit but this is far and above what is ok.

• Fire 1

bullsh#t. To all of this.

Both were definitely acting inappropriately and Ahman went incredibly too far and should have never hit her, if it all indeed happened.

As for his second line, I know you're not a parent and neither am I. But, I had a sibling. Perhaps you did, too. I saw my mother and sister go at it sometimes, so much so that I thought one of them was going to lose it one day and hit the other. It never happened. But, being in that situation, where violence could happen, is definitely a reality for a lot of parents with kids.

Whether or not you act on that aggression is, of course, something else entirely.

The last part is why I said it's bullsh#t. But apparently for most of the people reading this, that isn't a line

Literally speaking, you said "all of this" is bullsh#t, and I interpreted that as you saying you felt everything he said was bullsh#t. I might have interpreted what he posted a little differently.

Most of us will agree we should never hit a child. But, I took his post as meaning that most parents could get into a situation like Ahman (i.e. a child flat out refusing to listen to you and work with you on something like chores). The important factor is the result and how the parent/child handles their anger. I agree with you that you don't need to be a parent to know not to hit a child, but I also have never been a parental position like that.

I also personally try to avoid offering in-depth opinions on matters like these because I've never been in a position like theirs. There is no way to definitively prove how I would react in that situation. I can think I'd act a certain way, and believe I'd act a certain way, but there's no way for me to know with 100% certainty.

• Fire 1