Nebraska athletics not a fan of Fox Sports' "Children of the Corn" send-up

17 hours ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

First idea I came up with in 30 seconds would play off the sea of red. Suffocating, drowning, no hope for rescue. Every direction you look, red as far as you can see. Blood in the water. Nobody can hear your screams. You lose your sense of direction, you forget your purpose as you're assaulted by the waves. You're scared. This is the end for you. yadda yadda.

I think that's a pretty decent idea, and since FS1 paid an ad agency thousands and thousands of dollars for people to spend a lot more time coming up with stuff a lot better, color me disappointed in the final product :P

I think they should have done something with the Blackshirts and the sacrifice of a QB.  And still released the balloons at the end.  Maybe change the cornfield to Memorial Stadium instead

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, arkstfan said:

I can't stop you from being insulted if that is your take so be it, you'd fit right in here in Arkansas where the they don't know and love us insecurity is also present. 

Fox is not making a recruiting video, isn't trying to sell tickets, they are trying to convince average Americans to watch telecasts involving Nebraska, they don't have to sell Cornhusker football on TV to Cornhusker fans, they are watching no matter what. The target is someone in Florida or California who isn't a Nebraska fan.

Get out of here with your common sense and rationality. 

IStsIEs.gif

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think they should have done something with the Blackshirts and the sacrifice of a QB.  And still released the balloons at the end.  Maybe change the cornfield to Memorial Stadium instead

I think "correcting" the ad to remove the cornfield is a terrible idea.  You miss the point.  The whole ad is a direct allusion to the Children of the Corn short story.  Here's a portion of the plot summary:

[...] Burt ducks into the corn field and hides while his attackers search for him. He notices several odd things: there are no animals or weeds anywhere in the cornfield, and that every stalk of corn is free of any blemishes. As the sun begins to go down, Burt becomes lost and wanders around until he stumbles onto a circle of empty ground in the middle of the cornfield. There he discovers Vicky's dead body. She has been tied to a cross with barbed wire, with her eyes ripped out, and her mouth stuffed with corn husks. Gatlin's previous minister and police chief, who are now skeletons, have also been crucified. As Burt starts to flee, he notices that every row in the cornfield has closed up, preventing him from escaping. Burt soon realizes that something is coming for him. [...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Corn

1 minute ago, IA State Husker said:

I think "correcting" the ad to remove the cornfield is a terrible idea.  You miss the point.  The whole ad is a direct allusion to the Children of the Corn short story.  Here's a portion of the plot summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Corn

I am quite aware of what Children of the Corn is.  

It's a lazy correlation to the university in my opinion

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I am quite aware of what Children of the Corn is.  

It's a lazy correlation to the university in my opinion

I wasn't implying that you were not aware of Children of the Corn.  What I'm saying is that choosing a cornfield wasn't just the lazy correlation of "Cornhuskers = Cornfield".

It was a very literal interpretation of a scene in a famous horror movie that fictionally takes place in Nebraska. (even though it wasn't actually filmed in Nebraska, whatever).

18 hours ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

First idea I came up with in 30 seconds would play off the sea of red. Suffocating, drowning, no hope for rescue. Every direction you look, red as far as you can see. Blood in the water. Nobody can hear your screams. You lose your sense of direction, you forget your purpose as you're assaulted by the waves. You're scared. This is the end for you. yadda yadda.

I think that's a pretty decent idea, and since FS1 paid an ad agency thousands and thousands of dollars for people to spend a lot more time coming up with stuff a lot better, color me disappointed in the final product :P

So what you are saying is that you are an armchair quarterback for ad campaigns?  Because its so easy to film successful ads that anyone could do it.  Easy-peasy.  Let us know when your showstopping ads air.  Or are you too busy with your REAL job to piddle around in advertising?

*post drips with sarcasm*

Just now, IA State Husker said:

I wasn't implying that you were not aware of Children of the Corn.  What I'm saying is that choosing a cornfield wasn't just the lazy correlation of "Cornhuskers = Cornfield".

It was a very literal interpretation of a scene in a horror movie that fictionally takes place in Nebraska. (even though it wasn't actually filmed in Nebraska, whatever).

I'm not sure I can explain what I'm trying to say correctly.  I realize that Nebraska's mascot is the Cornhuskers.  So I can see where Fox would gravitate to a cornfield.  My issue is that it doesn't really represent the team despite our nickname.

If we go through the list:

Michigan ad was about a Wolverine tracking you down.

Wisconsin was about Jump Around

Minnesota was about "Minnesota Nice" and the axe

Purdue was about a train

Illinois was about Red Grange

Wisconsin was about the helmet sticker

Rutgers was about being a knight

Iowa was about a pink locker rooM

Michigan St is about the Spartan army

Maryland was about the state flag

Indiana was, well I'm not sure what Indiana was.

Northwestern was about them being smart

Penn St was about their white out games

Nebraska got a cornfield...

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If we go through the list:

Minnesota was about "Minnesota Nice" and the axe...

...and the famous dark comedy "Fargo" that fictitiously takes place in Minnesota, (specifically the gory climactic scene in that movie).....

I see quite a few parallels there, as well as some visual similarities in the Michigan and Penn State promos (horror movie environment themes).

The thing that ties most of these promos together is the attempt to create something scary and intimidating out of each school.  I thought they did a good job of that.